Future of caravaning in South Africa - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Future of caravaning in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    The reason we resorted to purchasing a Jurgens Explorer was because of the state and attendance to some caravan parks so now have the option of "off the grid" camping in sometimes really remote places. The negative of course is you need the appropriate vehicle as a smaller 4X4 just wont do it.
    We went the same route for the very same reasons. Prefer it rough because its quieter!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

An extract from a Stats SA publication on the tourism accommodation industry that relates to this debate.

Edit: Full release available http://www.statssa.gov.za/?page_id=1...P6410&SCH=7233
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joeboy69; 2018/07/23 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeboy69 View Post
    An extract from a Stats SA publication on the tourism accommodation industry that relates to this debate.

Edit: Full release available http://www.statssa.gov.za/?page_id=1...P6410&SCH=7233
    This looks bad for us using caravans.

An additional reason for the reduction could be the fuel price.
    Much cheaper to run our small sedan than the 4x4 towing an off roader.
    50-60% cheaper to run.
    Just no dirt roads or bush - the 4x4 still wins the argument.
    We travel much less than we did .

Put in diesel at R15.44 liter yesterday, used to cost R7.83 in December 2010!
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Very seasonal but park owners would’ve loved a higher occupancy rate in December

The short and long is, it's up to us to pass on the legacy of camping and find suitable places to do so. I, for one, believe it is very beneficial for the children, more so these days where they grow up in a technological concrete jungle. Mine even helps with packing, although erm, their version of it.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by George; 2018/07/25 at 10:11 AM.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

In the UK caravanning is expanding rapidly maybe due to the concerns about Brexit so every one doing a staycation. What is very popular over here is using a Certified Location(CL). This is normally a small field on someone's property and the maximum number of caravans allowed is 5 units which can be 5 caravans or 3 caravans and 2 tents. The field will have a Elsan point and water as minimum. Some will also have electric hook up and if they do they charge slightly more. Most of the Cls are situated on farms and give the opportunity for a get away at low cost.
    In order to get access to a CL you need to be a member of a caravan club who have in conjunction with the owner of some land got all the necessary permissions to set up the CL. Once set up all the owner of the land does is pay the caravan to advertise the CL so that members are made aware of it etc. I am surprised that no one in SA has started something similar.
    2013 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
    In the UK caravanning is expanding rapidly maybe due to the concerns about Brexit so every one doing a staycation. What is very popular over here is using a Certified Location(CL). This is normally a small field on someone's property and the maximum number of caravans allowed is 5 units which can be 5 caravans or 3 caravans and 2 tents. The field will have a Elsan point and water as minimum. Some will also have electric hook up and if they do they charge slightly more. Most of the Cls are situated on farms and give the opportunity for a get away at low cost.
    In order to get access to a CL you need to be a member of a caravan club who have in conjunction with the owner of some land got all the necessary permissions to set up the CL. Once set up all the owner of the land does is pay the caravan to advertise the CL so that members are made aware of it etc. I am surprised that no one in SA has started something similar.
    Was thinking along the same concept a week or two ago. Think safety concerns are the barrier.

An App similar in concept to AirBnB, where land owners list their camping facilities with peer review functionality integrated. There must be amazing places on farms all around the country. If someone leaves a site dirty, or otherwise misbehaves they should get a poor review, precluding them from further access to other sites. Likewise if a site is not as advertised it would get poor reviews and be unpopular. The inventory, availability and payment could be managed via the application, the land owner would simply have to service the site and provide/deny access. Some landowners could earn a bit of extra cash this way...
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

In the western cape it is now potentially easier for farmers to develop/ allow camping on their farms. All municipalities must adopt a new zoning scheme that determines and manages land use rights by 2020. A standard zoning scheme was developed which most of the municipalities will be adopting. This zoning scheme includes a provision for agricultural zoned land larger than 1ha to include as a primary right a camping site of up to a max of ten sites, subject to some development parameters (adherence to building line restrictions), and including not being closer than 1km from the high-water mark of the sea or a tidal river. As a primary right the farmer does not have to apply for such permission, he will only need to submit a site development plan to the municipality to indicate compliance to inter alia the development parameters. If you want a camping site on a property smaller than 1 ha, or within 1km of the sea or tidal river, or more than 10 sites, you must apply for such consent. Many farmers will not know of this, so if you know of a farm with the potential of a great camping spot tell the farmer about this. Just note that not all the municipalities in the western cape have adopted the new zoning scheme yet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thilo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thilo View Post
    In the western cape it is now potentially easier for farmers to develop/ allow camping on their farms. All municipalities must adopt a new zoning scheme that determines and manages land use rights by 2020. A standard zoning scheme was developed which most of the municipalities will be adopting. This zoning scheme includes a provision for agricultural zoned land larger than 1ha to include as a primary right a camping site of up to a max of ten sites, subject to some development parameters (adherence to building line restrictions), and including not being closer than 1km from the high-water mark of the sea or a tidal river. As a primary right the farmer does not have to apply for such permission, he will only need to submit a site development plan to the municipality to indicate compliance to inter alia the development parameters. If you want a camping site on a property smaller than 1 ha, or within 1km of the sea or tidal river, or more than 10 sites, you must apply for such consent. Many farmers will not know of this, so if you know of a farm with the potential of a great camping spot tell the farmer about this. Just note that not all the municipalities in the western cape have adopted the new zoning scheme yet.
    This sounds great! Maybe you should start a new thread with this in the WC section with a thread title that will get some attention. There are lots of beautiful farms in the WC with amazing potential.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Hi,

I am 32 years old, and wasn't brought up camping, but decided to start camping about 8 years ago, and we are now at the point of upgrading to a 4x4 caravan. Your post gave me some food for thought as to if we should be making a decision to continue camping.

Firstly, I have noticed that second hand 4x4 caravans are like hens teeth, and if you can find one, you are paying almost the same price as a new caravan. This is baring one or two manufacturers who can offer reasonably priced second hand caravans.

There are also some smaller manufacturers who make great products without the R400k price tag, but closer to the R300k mark.

Secondly, we spend most of our time camping at either Kruger, Kgalagadi or Pilanesberg and here the price difference between camping and chalets is quite substantial. For example, Kruger and Kgalagadi you are looking at between R 1800 and R 3000 for a family of 4, whereas a campsite would cost R 450. Also, if you look at the accommodation at these parks, for this price difference, there is very little value add. (Unless you can afford R 5000 p/n for a guest house)

So, my calculation is that you will save close on R 20000 per year if you plan on camping for 2 weeks a year. This for an investment that holds value incredibly well.

This is purely the financial part of the decision, before taking into account all the other things camping gives you that accommodation can't - the experience is just different...

In the next few months I will be biting the bullet and redoing my license and taking the plunge.

You have some good observations regarding the future of camping in SA, but I think I will be camping for many years to come. I am sure there are people who's situation is different and will be giving up the hobby too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    This sounds great! Maybe you should start a new thread with this in the WC section with a thread title that will get some attention. There are lots of beautiful farms in the WC with amazing potential.
    Just a crazy idea (keeping the farming mentorship thread in mind): You camp on the farm for free lets say for a week. In exchange for that you work alongside the labourers. You and your children get the true farm experience. The farmer scores free labour.

Now I know there are three million objections e.g. liability or unwilling guests but maybe this could be thought through a bit further?

I am thinking back of the Voortrekkers where I had an experience like this as a child.
    Defender 2.8i

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

I think the idea is great, But once i am camped for longer then 48 hours i think, i am now a squatter and you the farmer cant toss me off and you stuck with me. So you are going to have to be very careful who camps where. I think money has to change hands to prevent problems, Like a big refundable deposit for work well done something along those lines.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peter bee For This Useful Post:

But, yes, all things said and done, there is the reality of caravanners getting older, and the experience becomes more of a schlepp. This was mentioned on this thread before, but for us 2 oldies camping with our trusted Sprite Sunway ( the damn thing weighs a-plenty ) and the V8 F250 which could handle anything, now is a no-no. In our younger days we took the rig out one weekend every month for seems like a hundred years, also when the caravan club which we belonged to was not camping. But pushing 70 years old now means the F250 migrated to my son and the caravan now serves as play-play accommodation when the grand kids come visiting.

But we still visit the camping firms, probably for nostalgig reasons, and lo and behold, most people we meet there are older generation, and definately not enthusiastic youngsters.

And there is a crowd which is promoting more affordable camping on private property, but cannot remember the name now.

Regards

Eddie
    1996 Pajero 2.8 TD SWB

SUZI Q , Those were the days, you were safe could camp almost anywhere alone, we did the every month thing as well, holiday times look for places you never found people. 4x4 things were for roughnecks in those days. but they got you to the best places. Your F250 was the machine back then.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Just a crazy idea (keeping the farming mentorship thread in mind): You camp on the farm for free lets say for a week. In exchange for that you work alongside the labourers. You and your children get the true farm experience. The farmer scores free labour.

Now I know there are three million objections e.g. liability or unwilling guests but maybe this could be thought through a bit further?

I am thinking back of the Voortrekkers where I had an experience like this as a child.
    We are always on the lookout for a true farming experience to expose our city slicker 6 year old daughter to. It is surprisingly difficult to find and I'm not even talking about camping /caravaning. We did find a farm about two years ago which we stayed at for two days on the way to our final destination. They primarily farmed goats and it was lambing season. Some of the most precious memories and photos we have of that trip was our daughter surrounded by hundreds of little goat kids. She had the opportunity to pull fresh vegetables from the ground, to climb on a tractor and live in a big old farm house. Would love to find more similar farm opportunities.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhardvr26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
    But, yes, all things said and done, there is the reality of caravanners getting older, and the experience becomes more of a schlepp. This was mentioned on this thread before, but for us 2 oldies camping with our trusted Sprite Sunway ( the damn thing weighs a-plenty ) and the V8 F250 which could handle anything, now is a no-no. In our younger days we took the rig out one weekend every month for seems like a hundred years, also when the caravan club which we belonged to was not camping. But pushing 70 years old now means the F250 migrated to my son and the caravan now serves as play-play accommodation when the grand kids come visiting.

But we still visit the camping firms, probably for nostalgig reasons, and lo and behold, most people we meet there are older generation, and definately not enthusiastic youngsters.

And there is a crowd which is promoting more affordable camping on private property, but cannot remember the name now.

Regards

Eddie
    My Mom and Dad camped the last time when Dad turned 90, hope we can get close to that.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post

I grew up om a farm, and during harvest time worked shoulder to shoulder with the farm labourers.

I think your idea is impractical. The farmer needs to pay a staff member to maintain the campsite and ablution, and get no contribution towards his cash flow. Not a bright business idea running a campsite for charity.

Then:

Firstly, when the day is done you will be so tired that you just want to hit the hay, because you start working at sparrows fart tomorrow. When do you intend enjoying the camping?
    Secondly, only your kids older than 16 are by law allowed to work. The farmer won't allow younger kids near any form of work. Those eligible to work won't want to. They are teenagers, not farm labourers.
    Thirdly, there are implications regarding his labourers where unemployed family of the labourers cannot get work, but the farmer creates work for this white guy.

My guess is that, although it could be fun if on your terms, the farmers will have issues with the idea. They have enough labour related challenges as it is.
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/08/02 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6