Zakouma national park, chad

Default Zakouma national park, chad

Hi - I have been closely watching the transformation of this park on social media (natgeo photographer on insta) and want to find out more. Has anyone been here recently? I want to know the logistics of a possible visit either overlanding or flying in to N'Djamena, renting a vehicle and self-driving/camping/lodging? Safety? Road conditions? Best time of year to visit? etc. etc. Thanks.

Default Re: Zakouma national park, chad

As far as I know, the only way in is with a private guide and chartering a flight in to the African Parks mobile camp, Camp Nomade. One of our partners at safarious.com guides there - I'll check with him tomorrow. It's logistically quite a mission getting there. Here's a link to a video posted on our site by Michael: https://www.safarious.com/article/1843-zakouma-2017
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    As far as I know, the only way in is with a private guide and chartering a flight in to the African Parks mobile camp, Camp Nomade. One of our partners at safarious.com guides there - I'll check with him tomorrow. It's logistically quite a mission getting there. Here's a link to a video posted on our site by Michael: https://www.safarious.com/article/1843-zakouma-2017
    Thanks Tony - wow - that video was awsm. The quelea are quite something. Yes, I would be very interested to know the logistics. I am not a fan of having to have a private guide/formal safari (raised in the bush in Zim) and would obviously want to self-drive and it just may be that its not possible at all but yes please ask what the options are. Thanks again.

There's quite a few trip reports from Zaukoma on Safaritalk forum. Onfortunatelly, as Tony says, this park seems not to be meant for selfdrivers and certainly is not budget friendly.
    http://safaritalk.net/forum/267-chad...ican-republic/
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

I lived in South Sudan for 5 years & have friends in Chad so understand the difficulties of accessing Chad from East Africa. Unfortunately the wars in DRC, CAR, South Sudan & Dafur (Sudan) have effectively cut Chad off from road access. The best way into N'Djamena from EA is via Ethiopian Airways from Nairobi, Addis to Ndjamena, but it's expensive (+/- $1,000). Strangely the cheapest flight is in from Europe.

Geoff

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffu For This Useful Post:

I've checked in with Michael and he agrees with Geoff that self-drive is absolutely a no-go. Too dangerous. The only way in is to charter and be guided.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/07/13 at 04:17 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks to you all for the feedback.

A flight in to the African Parks mobile camp, Camp Nomade.
    The alternative to the extraordinaire expensive Camp Nomade would be the Tinga Camp in Zakouma. Best option I would say is guided too with a small group of six pax but half of the price. If you like to extend your time in Chad for the North you can have a private organised trip. There are companies in Chad doing this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to botswanadreams For This Useful Post:

Just booked our flight from any place in Germany rail&fly with Ethiopian Airlines to N'Djamena for 886.50 pp. Can't imagine that it would be US$ 1.000 from Nairobi.