12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?




Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Good Day,

    I was looking some alternatives to get some extra juice into my battery setup whilst camping at places that do have 220v. I was wondering if any one sees any problem with hooking up say a 15amp 12v power supply to my CTEK250 solar input and having it managed via the smartpass across the system? Its a lot cheaper upgrade (around R700) compared to getting a dedicated charger and uses all the kit I already have installed.

    So what are your thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Konrad
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 2018/07/11 at 01:08 PM.
    Current: 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Past: 2013 Ford Ranger S/C 3.2 XLS
    Past: 2010 Nissan X trail 2.5 4x4 SE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    Good Day,

    I was looking some alternatives to get some extra juice into my battery setup whilst camping at places that do have 220v. I was wondering if any one sees any problem with hooking up say a 15amp 12v power supply to by CTEK250 solar input and having it managed via a smartpass across the system? Its a lot cheaper upgrade (around R700) compared to getting a dedicated charger and uses all the kit I already have installed.

    So what are your thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Konrad

    Not sure I understand the question , but Connect the 220 charger directly to the battery you want to charge, thats it. Dont make it complicated. If you a have a supply setting on the 220 v charger you can connect it to the solar input on the 250, but boils down to the same thing, so why do it.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/07/11 at 01:01 PM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC PU's and a Prado

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,946
    Thanked: 3592

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Connect the 220 charger directly to the battery you want to charge, thats it.
    Absolutely. 100%
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    55
    Posts
    214
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Konrad

    I think the others missed something in your question.
    I understand you do not have a 220 V charger

    I suggest you draw/sketch a wiring diagram of your system and post it in this thread.

    Then we can respond again....
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) @ 800 000 km

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Connect the 220 charger directly to the battery you want to charge, thats it.
    I will agree it is the most logical way of doing it.

    But R4k for a 10amp charger that has the charging intelligence of the CTEK system vs R700 for a 10amp 12v power supply using the charging intelligence of the D250S had me thinking why not?
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 2018/07/11 at 01:06 PM.
    Current: 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Past: 2013 Ford Ranger S/C 3.2 XLS
    Past: 2010 Nissan X trail 2.5 4x4 SE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Konrad

    I think the others missed something in your question.
    I understand you do not have a 220 V charger

    I suggest you draw/sketch a wiring diagram of your system and post it in this thread.

    Then we can respond again....
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will work on a sketch in the evening!
    Current: 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Past: 2013 Ford Ranger S/C 3.2 XLS
    Past: 2010 Nissan X trail 2.5 4x4 SE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I will agree it is the most logical way of doing it.

    But R4k for a 10amp charger that has the charging intelligence of the CTEK system vs R700 for a 10amp 12v power supply using the charging intelligence of the D250S had me thinking why not?
    Ok, the power supply can be connected to the solar connection on the ctek 250, that works, if the solar are not connected.
    Johan Kriel

    LC PU's and a Prado

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,946
    Thanked: 3592

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I will agree it is the most logical way of doing it.

    But R4k for a 10amp charger that has the charging intelligence of the CTEK system vs R700 for a 10amp 12v power supply using the charging intelligence of the D250S had me thinking why not?
    1/. A 12V Power Supply may not have enough Voltage to activate the Ctek. 12V Solar Panels are actually about 17-18V.
    2/. Its messy.
    3/. R1000 gets you a really decent intelligent 7/8A Smart Charger, that you can use here, use to maintain the battery indefinitely, use to charge other batteries, use to regenerate older batteries,.....
    4/. R1000 gets you a smart charger that can be used as a real decent backup should your Ctek malfunction.


    Enough ?
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    1/. A 12V Power Supply may not have enough Voltage to activate the Ctek. 12V Solar Panels are actually about 17-18V.
    2/. Its messy.
    3/. R1000 gets you a really decent intelligent 7/8A Smart Charger, that you can use here, use to maintain the battery indefinitely, use to charge other batteries, use to regenerate older batteries,.....
    4/. R1000 gets you a smart charger that can be used as a real decent backup should your Ctek malfunction.


    Enough ?
    you got me

    Any info on that Charger you just sold me?
    Current: 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Past: 2013 Ford Ranger S/C 3.2 XLS
    Past: 2010 Nissan X trail 2.5 4x4 SE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,946
    Thanked: 3592

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Ok, the power supply can be connected to the solar connection on the ctek 250, that works, if the solar are not connected.
    Have you actually tried that. 12V cant charge a battery and the Ctek doesn't contain a boost converter. (The thing what can take a low voltage and convert it to a higher voltage.)
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,946
    Thanked: 3592

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    you got me

    Any info on that Charger you just sold me?
    Look around for specials on the MIDAS PSA 8000 or PSD 8000 chargers.

    Also on this forum is Benton and a few others at about R1.5K.

    Going for supper. Will post details later.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Have you actually tried that. 12V cant charge a battery and the Ctek doesn't contain a boost converter. (The thing what can take a low voltage and convert it to a higher voltage.)
    For interest sake I found this on the CTEK FAQs

    Why does the D250S DUAL not start charging?
    In order to start charging, the supply voltage from the D250S DUAL needs to be above 13.1V at the service battery input, or above 11.5V from the solar input on the D250S DUAL.
    In addition, the voltage on the service battery has to be above 5V for the charge process to begin.
    Measure the voltage of the batteries, and verify that they are within the levels specified above.
    Current: 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Past: 2013 Ford Ranger S/C 3.2 XLS
    Past: 2010 Nissan X trail 2.5 4x4 SE

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Have you actually tried that. 12V cant charge a battery and the Ctek doesn't contain a boost converter. (The thing what can take a low voltage and convert it to a higher voltage.)
    Yes done. Connected a ctek 7 amp charger, on supply mode (but it suplly is 13.6 V) to the 250's solar connection, then once the aux battery is fully charged the 250 switches over to the start battery.

    But yes, maybe good to first test the power supply, as said if only 12V might not be enough?!
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/07/11 at 06:58 PM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC PU's and a Prado

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    61
    Posts
    45
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: 12v Power Supply to CTEK250 solar input?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    For interest sake I found this on the CTEK FAQs

    Why does the D250S DUAL not start charging?
    In order to start charging, the supply voltage from the D250S DUAL needs to be above 13.1V at the service battery input, or above 11.5V from the solar input on the D250S DUAL.
    In addition, the voltage on the service battery has to be above 5V for the charge process to begin.
    Measure the voltage of the batteries, and verify that they are within the levels specified above.
    If I read this correct and only 11.5V is needed from solar input for the 250 does it not mean the 250 can boost to be able to charge the aux battery?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •