Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default the new Nikon P1000

This is a camera I might get to like

Default Re: the new Nikon P1000

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    This is a camera I might get to like

Great machine, but to really use that zoom you will have to have the camera mounted to a tri-pod permanently.
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Great machine, but to really use that zoom you will have to have the camera mounted to a tri-pod permanently.
    Not so much interested in the zoom. The functionality of being able to do macro to some bizarre 3000mm would be nice in a "traveling" camera and even then i cant think of ever going over a 1000mm and that is puching it.

Dont think it will ever replace my dedicated dslrs i use for my photography and I am pretty sure it is a compromise but to go on two week overseas trip general site seeing ( not photography spesific trips) i can see only this one camera in my bag.

I definitely will not be looking at this. I agree that the idea of it is attractive, but in reality I suspect it will be a disappointment everywhere (to current DSLR users and pixel peepers). With that zoom, it would make for a GREAT toy for a kid, though!

Here is my train of thought:
    • The price: P900 is currently priced at R9k and this is likely going to be around R14k-R16k. In other words... QUITE expensive
    • The size - that thing is about as big as a mid-range DSLR (D7200) with a super-zoom lens (Nikon 18-300)...QUITE big. You will need to carry (at least) a shoulder bag as well
    • Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Bad image quality in low light (VERY small sensor), bad image quality at the extreme ends, flat images in-between. Zero subject separation (due to limited aperture range). Sure, this last point is very pessimistic, but I would be VERY surprised if this delivers much-better-than-snapshot images...
    • Quality of construction - my experience with these mid-range mik-and-druks are that they do not last long before the zoom/whatever else stops working.
    • Battery life will likely be very limited (as with mirrorless)

I've learnt my lesson with mega zooms (even 18-300 on DSLR) - they are a hell of a compromise on picture quality and obviously aperture range. For the size, price and weight of this, I'd rather be carrying a DSLR with the appropriate lenses for what I intend to photograph...

But each to his own..
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2018/07/11 at 09:48 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=SuzukiPiet;3938297]I definitely will not be looking at this. I agree that the idea of it is attractive, but in reality I suspect it will be a disappointment everywhere (to current DSLR users and pixel peepers). With that zoom, it would make for a GREAT toy for a kid, though!

Yes, I guess I am a kid.

Do not have a P1000 but using a P900 for some time now, bought it as a back up for my Canon EOS 7D and a whole string of very expensive Canon lenses.

I am not a professional photographer and I do not publish or enter my photos for competitions. Me and my wife like to travel and in the process take lots of photographs and video which I use to make movies when we get back. The kids and grand children love it.

One of the reasons that motivated me to buy a P900 was that I got "gatvol" changing lenses all the time when on the move and in game parks having to reach for equipment all the time,I don`t drive with stuff hanging out my car windows.

So guess what gets used 80% of the time, not the Canon stuff.

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EXPLORER For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=EXPLORER;3938368]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    I definitely will not be looking at this. I agree that the idea of it is attractive, but in reality I suspect it will be a disappointment everywhere (to current DSLR users and pixel peepers). With that zoom, it would make for a GREAT toy for a kid, though!

Yes, I guess I am a kid.

Do not have a P1000 but using a P900 for some time now, bought it as a back up for my Canon EOS 7D and a whole string of very expensive Canon lenses.

I am not a professional photographer and I do not publish or enter my photos for competitions. Me and my wife like to travel and in the process take lots of photographs and video which I use to make movies when we get back. The kids and grand children love it.

One of the reasons that motivated me to buy a P900 was that I got "gatvol" changing lenses all the time when on the move and in game parks having to reach for equipment all the time,I don`t drive with stuff hanging out my car windows.

So guess what gets used 80% of the time, not the Canon stuff.
    Okay...I'm not sure whether you took offence from my statement, but it sounds like it. I was completely sincere and serious when I said that - a kid would LOVE the zoom capability on that camera. By no means did I say that all super-zoom users are kids.

I also respect that people take pictures for different reasons. Some simply want to capture a moment and as long as it is more or less in focus, they are happy. Image quality is not a concern.

I was just speaking for myself. Crisp images, subject separation and background bokeh is what makes me happy in photography and is what I look for in images. I would much rather take one of the second image, than 800 of the first. The first image is a nice snapshot, it will remind me of our hiking trip, but the second really makes me feel good. (And yes, fine, my wife is a more attractive model than my brother-in-law, but you get the picture...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201701 Tonquani-34.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	494817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201806 Meiringskloof-17.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	494818  
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2018/07/11 at 11:37 AM.

Here is my train of thought:
    • The price: P900 is currently priced at R9k and this is likely going to be around R14k-R16k. In other words... QUITE expensive
    • The size - that thing is about as big as a mid-range DSLR (D7200) with a super-zoom lens (Nikon 18-300)...QUITE big. You will need to carry (at least) a shoulder bag as well
    • Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Bad image quality in low light (VERY small sensor), bad image quality at the extreme ends, flat images in-between. Zero subject separation (due to limited aperture range). Sure, this last point is very pessimistic, but I would be VERY surprised if this delivers much-better-than-snapshot images...
    • Quality of construction - my experience with these mid-range mik-and-druks are that they do not last long before the zoom/whatever else stops working.
    • Battery life will likely be very limited (as with mirrorless)

I've learnt my lesson with mega zooms (even 18-300 on DSLR) - they are a hell of a compromise on picture quality and obviously aperture range. For the size, price and weight of this, I'd rather be carrying a DSLR with the appropriate lenses for what I intend to photograph...

But each to his own..
    Well last year I bought a P900 as a travel camera, it's an amazing little camera and under the right conditions can get very good shots But not having RAW format is a for me a huge downside. Where is the camera now? Lying in the cupboard, for snapshots I use the phone and for "real" photography I go back to my DSLR

Not sure if the P1000 has RAW but it would not change my mind.

Cheers

Rob
    Rob Bagnall

Subaru Forester

Quote Originally Posted by caranx36 View Post

Not sure if the P1000 has RAW but it would not change my mind.

Rob

P1000 does shoot RAW.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

[QUOTE=SuzukiPiet;3938385]
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Okay...I'm not sure whether you took offence from my statement, but it sounds like it. I was completely sincere and serious when I said that - a kid would LOVE the zoom capability on that camera. By no means did I say that all super-zoom users are kids.

I also respect that people take pictures for different reasons. Some simply want to capture a moment and as long as it is more or less in focus, they are happy. Image quality is not a concern.

I was just speaking for myself. Crisp images, subject separation and background bokeh is what makes me happy in photography and is what I look for in images. I would much rather take one of the second image, than 800 of the first. The first image is a nice snapshot, it will remind me of our hiking trip, but the second really makes me feel good. (And yes, fine, my wife is a more attractive model than my brother-in-law, but you get the picture...)
    It have raw and f2.8 fstop to f8 at 3000. Where it change I dont know but i guess i can then blur a snapshot background pretty well with the p1000 and produce simmilar photo of the girl in the background.

Anyway each to his own. It will never ever be replacement for my dslrs and lenses but for a travel camera I would still think about this.

However the proof is in the pudding and not having tested it we cannot judge really.

That sensor will be severly diffraction-limited by f8.

But, just the thought of a 3000mm lens is quite enticing!

I would love to see how a shot at 3000mm compares to a shot from a 20-24MP crop-frame DSLR with a 500-600mm lens, cropped to the same subject size compares, as that will be quite a serious crop.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=johan65;3938581]
    It have raw and f2.8 fstop to f8 at 3000. Where it change I dont know but i guess i can then blur a snapshot background pretty well with the p1000 and produce simmilar photo of the girl in the background.

Anyway each to his own. It will never ever be replacement for my dslrs and lenses but for a travel camera I would still think about this.

However the proof is in the pudding and not having tested it we cannot judge really.
    Hi Johan, that is exactly what the camera companies want you to think. Unfortunately, depth of field is not only affected by F-stop number but also by sensor size.

If you are interested in the subject, this guy explains it very well and he has little bookmarks in the description, so you do not have to watch the full 40 min. Watch "Aperture and crop factor" around the 15 min mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDotqLx6nA

So you read F2.8 and think "that is a good lens - on my DSLR that produces more than sufficient background blur". But in reality that should be corrected for sensor size. In this case, the P1000 has a sensor that is 1/2.3", which means you have a "crop factor" of 5.6. If you take a picture with the P1000 at F2.8, then the depth of field would be equivalent to a full frame camera at F16 (or a crop sensor at F10). All of a sudden that lens doesn't seem so great anymore.
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2018/07/11 at 05:41 PM.

[QUOTE=SuzukiPiet;3938802]
    Hi Johan, that is exactly what the camera companies want you to think. Unfortunately, depth of field is not only affected by F-stop number but also by sensor size.

If you are interested in the subject, this guy explains it very well and he has little bookmarks in the description, so you do not have to watch the full 40 min. Watch "Aperture and crop factor" around the 15 min mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDotqLx6nA

So you read F2.8 and think "that is a good lens - on my DSLR that produces more than sufficient background blur". But in reality that should be corrected for sensor size. In this case, the P1000 has a sensor that is 1/2.3", which means you have a "crop factor" of 5.6. If you take a picture with the P1000 at F2.8, then the depth of field would be equivalent to a full frame camera at F16 (or a crop sensor at F10). All of a sudden that lens doesn't seem so great anymore.
    https://youtu.be/ZUbU6exONdU

[QUOTE=johan65;3938856]
    Thanks Johan! Very interesting! I enjoy F-Stoppers' videos (and have a lot of respect for them as well). I will try it out for myself tomorrow!

As a long time Bridge camera user (Panasonic) the thought of swapping my now outdated 600mm reach for 3000mm has definite appeal. The advance of technology is amazing.

Bridge cameras are for a market segment who don't want to carry half a dozen lenses and other heavy equipment. We covet a travel / bush camera - hassle free. None of us are trying to equal DSLR quality so DSLR owners should cease comparing their kit with ours. The tiny sensors on Bridge cameras can never compare quality wise and neither can the bokeh. (An ex-Nikon/Canon DSLR owner).

Use my fast shooting Panny mainly for bird/game shots many of which I may not have captured with a heavy and more cumbersome tripod fixed DSLR.

Looking forward to the test reports particularly how fast this Nikon Bridge flagship can focus at 3 000mm!

One fact for sure - expect all the other Bridge brands to follow Nikon which has thrown down the gauntlet.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/07/11 at 10:55 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Johan, the video posted is not really applicable to my comment. I just wanted to point out that camera companies are trying to mislead buyers with the F-stop numbers printed on the marketing material. I am trying to help, not trying to stir.

Do yourself a favour and just watch the section of the posted Tony Northrup video at 29:53 (Olympus misleading consumers).

In summary: the camera's true lens specs is EITHER:
    • 4.28 - 535 mm F2.8-F8.0, or
    • 24 - 3000 mm F16 - F45

But definitely not 24-3000 F2.8-F8.0

Will do, but when p1000 is available I will go see for myself and even at 4.3-539 it is still 2.8 at 4.3 and f8 at 539mm. So i guess i still get shallow depth if field at 4.3mm.

I fully understand your reasoning but lets see when it is out. I am pretty optimistic the results will not be anything like f16-f45 depth of field.
    Last edited by johan65; 2018/07/12 at 10:33 AM.

Enjoyed this video showing the zoom capabilities of the new P1000. I also like the fact that this camera now have a hot shoe for an external flash or triggers.

https://youtu.be/34EpY9LgOiY
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Hi all

I am trying to look at a Nikon P1000 but they seem to be out of stock in Cape town, I am wondering if anyone in the Southern suburbs has one and is willingly to let me hold it ( masks and sanitiser and vaccinated ) I just want to get a feel for the camera weight and hear the owners true comments about the camera. Perhaps for a small fee of a bottle of wine or some chocolate? Please PM me if you are keen to even just discuss the pro's and cons of this camera.

thanking you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    Hi all

I am trying to look at a Nikon P1000 but they seem to be out of stock in Cape town
    Orms has them listed as being in stock.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Orms has them listed as being in stock.
    Hi Tony

I chatted to John at Orms and its booked for someone else and they wont open it for me to hold it. They have no other stock and no one else seems to have either.....

regards

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rossmacg For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast