Conqueor Commander Dust

Default Conqueor Commander Dust

So i thought i would start this thread as a learning for my recent experience.

I camp at least once a month and most of my camps have some form of gravel road driving, anything from 10km to 50km depending on where we go. I have heard of complaints about dust inside a Commander caboin, however i have never had this issue myself and couldn't understand why it happened.

That was until i went to Namibia, on route from Swakop to Sossusvlei and Sossus to Aus the Commander was absolutely covered in dust inside, i am not kidding when i say there was probably a carrier bag full of dust inside. NOT COOL and required us to clean the full caravan twice during the trip at almost 2 hours each time as my son suffers from exczema.

Lets just say at this point in time i was recalling all the posts i had read and commented on about the Commander being filled with Dust and thinking about how angry i was and that it had finally happened to me, maybe all those posts were true.

After a lot of investigating and looking around i found the reasons for causing the dust...

1. The back window of the caravan was not closed properly, before leaving on the trip we did a full clean of the caravan and i attached my new licence disk on the window, i must not have closed the window properly and while there was less than 1mm gap, it was enough to cause suction into the cabin and suck the dust in. The gap was minute and i only spotted it due to the amount of dust on the window sill. So i taped up the window as i wasn't able to get all the dust out to create a tight seal that i believe is needed. I am going to take the caravan to Conqueror and ask them to remove the window and refit the seal around the window as i dont think i will ever get it clean enough without removing it.
    2. The vacuum fan in the cupboard was switched on, however in packing for 2 weeks, we had covered up the vents for the cupboard with a cardboard box of cereal, meaning that the pressure wasn't being build up adequately for it to do its job properly. So we emptied the cupboard the fan was in and cleared the vents that were previously blocked.
    3. I did also think it might be coming from the Rooftop Aircon i had fitted, however this wasn't the case as there was no evidence of dust in the area where the aircon blower is or any dust coming out when i switched the aircon off.

So off we trekked from Aus to Noord Oewer via the Ais/Ais Richtersveld park and did around 200km of dust driving, while praying all the time that we had fixed the problem. We arrived at Amanzi and opened the caravan and found NO dust at all, nothing had krept into the cabin, the biggest ever dance of joy followed

Morale of the strory is that in this instance, the dust had nothing to do with Conqueror or the design of the Commander, it was human error which had caused the issue. Not saying that this is always the case, but before we all want to go around bashing brands, its worth trying to figure out exactly what caused an issue and understanding if its a design error or human error.
    2010 Disco 4 - TDV6 HSE (Hannibal 3/4 RoofRack, Canvas Hannibal Awning, Water Reservoir, Double Jerry Can Holder, Kirisun 2 Way Radio, InterVolt Dual Battery System)
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2016 Conqueror Commander

Facebook - @GoCampingRSA
    Instagram - @ilovecampingsa
    Member of Western Cape Off-road Camping Club

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Acydebyte For This Useful Post:

CCP

Default Re: Conqueor Commander Dust

Good post and I agree most of the times it is human error. I however notice on Conquerors there are several grommets with pipes going in and out. Just check all of them frequently as they perish and form nasty dust entry spots.

Other typical problems:
    - Fold out beds and roofs - make sure no canvas sticks out all round preventing the rubbers from sealing.
    - Double check that the roof is tied down
    - Loose / broken door or window rubbers

Before a long trip, blast the caravan with a hosepipe and check for any leaks inside. If wet, you'll get heaps of dust on the trip.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

CCP

Default Re: Conqueor Commander Dust

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Good post and I agree most of the times it is human error. I however notice on Conquerors there are several grommets with pipes going in and out. Just check all of them frequently as they perish and form nasty dust entry spots.

Other typical problems:
    - Fold out beds and roofs - make sure no canvas sticks out all round preventing the rubbers from sealing.
    - Double check that the roof is tied down
    - Loose / broken door or window rubbers

Before a long trip, blast the caravan with a hosepipe and check for any leaks inside. If wet, you'll get heaps of dust on the trip.
    Agree 100% with this, i had water inside once and it was because i hadnt closed the roof properly, so the canvas sticking out and eventually the water got into the cabin, made worse now by the modification i made to the roof

The grommets piece is a good tip actually, havent considered that....
    Last edited by Acydebyte; 2018/07/10 at 01:05 PM.
    2010 Disco 4 - TDV6 HSE (Hannibal 3/4 RoofRack, Canvas Hannibal Awning, Water Reservoir, Double Jerry Can Holder, Kirisun 2 Way Radio, InterVolt Dual Battery System)
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2016 Conqueror Commander

Facebook - @GoCampingRSA
    Instagram - @ilovecampingsa
    Member of Western Cape Off-road Camping Club