Buying my first trailer - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Buying my first trailer

Tygerberg Caravans is frustrating me. Waiting ten days for a Valuation Certificate

Not sure why it takes so looooonnnngggg.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Today I did two things.

I took it for Roadworthy, but the brakes failed the test... Tygerberg Caravans will need to look at it. Hopefully fixed soon.

I also got options on tents. I was thinking of the TentCo Senior or Family, but got a really good offer on a Howling Moon XT Deluxe at R 18 000.
    The HM's side wall set and back patio does come in a lot more expensive than the Tentco though.
    Any reason I should opt for the more expensive HM?

Nerd
    HM better tent in my opinion.
    Look at the Echo tent, also nice.
    Was a bit cheaper than the HM.
    We used an Echo 2010 tent for 6 years and never had a problem.

Just have somebody make the side walls for you, the manufacturer charge you two arms and legs for the same thing.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    HM better tent in my opinion.
    Look at the Echo tent, also nice.
    Was a bit cheaper than the HM.
    We used an Echo 2010 tent for 6 years and never had a problem.

Just have somebody make the side walls for you, the manufacturer charge you two arms and legs for the same thing.
    Hi

Decided on the Tentco. More a budget thing than anything else. My divorce is also an expensive trip.
    When you buy the rear canopy for the Tentco Senior TTT, all the sidewalls are included. At R 5600 that is not too bad in my opinion. Actually, not sure what an aftermarket set will cost? Any ideas?

I like buying new. Especially stuff that keeps it's value to a certain degree. So I am reckoning that I should be able to sell the setup for only a little bit less than what I paid for it.
    I see 2010 XT140 models with a tent and bits & bops going for R 90 000. Maybe a skewed Gumtree indication, but getting even R 80 000 for that trailer should be viable.

Nerd

Hi

Decided on the Tentco. More a budget thing than anything else. My divorce is also an expensive trip.
    When you buy the rear canopy for the Tentco Senior TTT, all the sidewalls are included. At R 5600 that is not too bad in my opinion. Actually, not sure what an aftermarket set will cost? Any ideas?

I like buying new. Especially stuff that keeps it's value to a certain degree. So I am reckoning that I should be able to sell the setup for only a little bit less than what I paid for it.
    I see 2010 XT140 models with a tent and bits & bops going for R 90 000. Maybe a skewed Gumtree indication, but getting even R 80 000 for that trailer should be viable.

Nerd
    Quality on the new HM is not what it used to be to the point that I am convinced Tentco is a better product not just better priced. The myth that more expensive is better is not always true.

I have seen quite a few HM tents that came in for repairs as well as the odd echo and believe it or not I have only had 2 tentco units so far, for guarantee related problems.

Tentco have 250 sewing machines turning out huge volumes and with that they buy materials at prices that their suppliers feel bullied, best is they make a fair profit and still manage to supply at a price that people think it is an inferior product. So much for honest business practice.

I can not justify the almost R10K more for the HM as the difference is negligible.

There is no way I can get close to the R 5600 for the awning and wall set, my cost on materials and labour is more than that.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Quality on the new HM is not what it used to be to the point that I am convinced Tentco is a better product not just better priced. The myth that more expensive is better is not always true.

I have seen quite a few HM tents that came in for repairs as well as the odd echo and believe it or not I have only had 2 tentco units so far, for guarantee related problems.

Tentco have 250 sewing machines turning out huge volumes and with that they buy materials at prices that their suppliers feel bullied, best is they make a fair profit and still manage to supply at a price that people think it is an inferior product. So much for honest business practice.

I can not justify the almost R10K more for the HM as the difference is negligible.

There is no way I can get close to the R 5600 for the awning and wall set, my cost on materials and labour is more than that.
    I now feel even more comfortable with my choice.

It was mentioned that the seams and canvas should be treated to mature them. Is there a known procedure and/or product that I should follow if applicable on the Tentco?

Nerd

I now feel even more comfortable with my choice.

It was mentioned that the seams and canvas should be treated to mature them. Is there a known procedure and/or product that I should follow if applicable on the Tentco?

Nerd
    Wetting the seams was the old cotton canvas trick, the cotton absorbed the water and expanded to close the holes where the needle had punctured the canvas.

Modern rip stop does not absorb water to close the needle holes and any paerson telling you so does not have a clue what they are talking about.

What does work well is the stuff my grandfather used (yes both my grand father as well as my father made tents) Beeswax, good old beeswax does not rot or cause any harm to modern rip stop but it does seal the pinholes.
    I might be wrong bur Tentco supplies one with all their new tents and I have included in all tents that I have supplied from day one.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Got a slight curve ball. I can get a really good condition Echo Mk4 tent at a steal.

Seriously considering it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2