Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

I run a Safari business in Namibia and last year started to replace the old 4x4 2.5 D4D Hilux with the new 4x4 2.4 GD6 Hilux. We bought one last year May and in June started using it for our safaris and to hire it out to our self-drive clients. So basically, it's just over a year old.

I'm not sure why Toyota is saying the new Hilux is even tougher than the old one, this is absolute rubbish! The old 2005 Hilux was tough as nails and the little problems we experienced were few and far apart. The new one.......it's more in the workshop than anything else! In one year it was repaired 5 times, 4 times under warranty. At +- 16000km a CV joint had to be replaced, according to Toyota it wasn't a warranty job, so we had to fork out a couple of grand on a basically brand-new vehicle.
    20 000km and the shocks were in a bad shape, but Toyota refused to replace them. At 30 000km it was so bad, they had no other choice but to replace them, but again no stock and a long wait.
    40 000km, the shocks were giving up again, but Toyota says nothing is wrong. However, they have to replace the engine mountings and brake backing plates, another week in the workshop.
    At 50 000km, the shocks have now given up completely and Toyota will now replace them again and they actually have some in stock!! At least only 2 days in the workshop!

I've now spoken to various companies here that have the new Hilux on their fleet and all of them say the same about it. Never ever the same as the old Hilux and all would wish they could get the old model again. We all new about the shock problem only weeks after the first Hilux came out here in Namibia. Nearly 2 years later Toyota has not changed the shock and just keeps on replacing them. Great if you have time, but our cars must be on the road to make an income and not stand in the workshop!
    Engine mountings also seem to be a really big problem, dust that comes into the cabin, ABS and 4x4 problems due to wiring on the chassis not being protected and now I hear the dust filter is also an issue on the Diesel engines....great! In a country such as Namibia, there is a problem with the dust filter! This is not what one expected from the new "tougher" Hilux!

I'm a die hard Toyota Fan, I have the old 4x4 V6 Toyota Hilux with 148 000km on and no real problems, except an air sensor that gave up and needed to be replaced. I actually wanted to sell it and buy the new 4x4 Hilux V6 Dakar edition, but have changed my mind. Will keep the old one as it will give less problems in the years to come, that is guaranteed! Maybe by 2022 the new Hilux will have been sorted out, but for now, no thank you!

And just for info, we also bought a V6 Double Cab Land Cruiser the same time as we bought the Hilux. Has 54 000km on, no problems at all, runs beautifully and works much harder than the Hilux.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wlotzka For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Toyota Hilux 4x4 GD6 worst Hilux ever?

Bad to read this.

Apart from a brake shudder issue at 26kkm, I have had NO NO issues with my 2,8 at all.

But yes - Mine has a soft life, mostly doing long distance tar, and not comparable to yours wrt working conditions.

And yes, agree 200%........if I were a farmer/construction guy/safari operator etc etc, I'd also be VERY gatvol. LDV's are becoming even softer than SUV's , unfortunately.

But again, for me anyway, the VERY best tool for (my) job that I could hope for.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

One thing is for sure...........this is my first and last time I bought a 4x4 without a proper short stick.

I just bloody HATE HATE HATE those damn 4x4 dials.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wlotzka View Post
    And just for info, we also bought a V6 Double Cab Land Cruiser the same time as we bought the Hilux. Has 54 000km on, no problems at all, runs beautifully and works much harder than the Hilux.
    Even the old hilux's could not cope with a cruiser. I have tried it, I did not bother to look at a hilux's anymore, but its for my own use.

Next option, Nissan? They were extensively used by the hire companies,before the previous shape hilux came on the market.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Even the old hilux's could not cope with a cruiser. I have tried it, I did not bother to look at a hilux's anymore, but its for my own use.

Next option, Nissan? They were extensively used by the hire companies,before the previous shape hilux came on the market.
    Johan, kom ek se jou.......as ek 'n workhorse wil he (soos julle okes) en kyk na iets behalwe die taai manne soos die Patrol of Cruiser Pickups??

Die Nissan NP300 4X4 Hardbody.

Nog old school, en ek dink nie daar is vandag 'n nuwe pickup met harder body as dit nie - uitgesluit die Cruiser/Patrol.

En ek is nie eens 'n particularly groot Nissan fan nie.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    En ek is nie eens 'n particularly groot Nissan fan nie.
    Ek ook nie. My ore is nie meer goed nie maar die rattles maak my mal, maar is mos die ander ou se probleem
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Problem with all new bakkies across the ranges. Not only Toyota related. Bakkies got soft. If you want a work horse Land Cruiser or Patrol. Then Nissan have stop manufacturing the Patrol pick up so only Cruiser left.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Problem with all new bakkies across the ranges. Not only Toyota related. Bakkies got soft. If you want a work horse Land Cruiser or Patrol. Then Nissan have stop manufacturing the Patrol pick up so only Cruiser left.
    I saw last week a new patrol bakkie. https://www.nissan.co.za/vehicles/ne...l-pick-up.html

Not sure what discount one get at Nssan, but a bought a new DC LC v6 last week for N$575000
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/07/09 at 06:55 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Understand your frustration. In the same line you are and also issues...but we run V8 cruisers. Shocks gone at 60 000km. Made the mistake of changing them with aftermarket, so lost waranty on diffs etc. And yes. Have had a cracked diff. Underbody protection...tell that to the rear diff lock switches that get killed on the gravel road...abs wires that are exposed...dont get me started. Fit rear spacers so that the wheels all track in the same spoor...there goes some more warantee...but ja...

Next cruiser is ordered...because what else do you buy?
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Arenít shocks a wear and tear item? The harder you use them the more often you replace? Thatís like complaining about brake pads. Get fox shocks that you can fully rebuild for R800 per shock.

Dust ingress into the cab is a non issue for me. Dust through the air filter is a worry but havenít heard of a single person complain or mention it until that one thread last week so letís see. Iím super happy with my Hilux thus far.
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTsalas For This Useful Post:

Haha. My student job was at a very well known 4x4 rental company. The hilux vigo had just started to come in. I remember vividly the owners and workshop guys complaining about how soft these hiluxes were. Pushing the body panels in with their one finger etc.

times change. This new hilux will be a Legend again. Just watch.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post

I agree with this 100%. More gadgetry but less reliable bakkies. They started cutting corners and lost sight of the basics.
    I blame in part those that write reviews of new vehicles on magazines and websites. They salivate at the sight of new buttons, drive the thing for a couple of hours, if that, and then write glowing reports. The flock follows and head for the dealership, wallet in hand.

Maybe itís the fierce competition, maybe the frantic economic climate we are in now...they sell us vehicles that have not been comprehensively tested in the conditions they are used in. Have they(Toyota) tested the hilux properly, driving them hard in African or outback conditions for, say, 150K km? I doubt it ...

They are making savings in all departments and yet they prices remain high.

Collective action: stop buying new. Keep repairing old trucks. Let them get the message...

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. More gadgetry but less reliable bakkies. They started cutting corners and lost sight of the basics.
    I blame in part those that write reviews of new vehicles on magazines and websites. They salivate at the sight of new buttons, drive the thing for a couple of hours, if that, and then write glowing reports. The flock follows and head for the dealership, wallet in hand.

Maybe itís the fierce competition, maybe the frantic economic climate we are in now...they sell us vehicles that have not been comprehensively tested in the conditions they are used in. Have they(Toyota) tested the hilux properly, driving them hard in African or outback conditions for, say, 150K km? I doubt it ...

They are making savings in all departments and yet they prices remain high.

Collective action: stop buying new. Keep repairing old trucks. Let them get the message...
    I think you are in the minority with that view. Would be interesting to see how many want the nice features vs basics. Think sales speak for themselves. I personally prefer the route bakkies are taking vs the alternative dinosaurs. If you want that, there are still options for you in the shape of landcruiser, patrol, hardbody or mahindra.

If the Hilux development videos on YouTube are anything to go by , they have done thousands of kmís testing the Hilux in the outback fully loaded and with a trailer. Also donít forget that itís not Toyotaís first bakkie so strictly speaking they have been testing in Africa and outback for decades. With regards to becoming softer and flimsier, remember that fuel economy is a major selling factor and the easiest way to improve fuel economy is to drop weight, especially on body work and trim. Crash safety and more specifically pedestrian safety also further reinforces the strategy of softer body work. Do you really want the 2 Star NCap safety rating of the previous generation Ford Ranger?

Speaking of reliability of the gd6, I havenít seen a single thread of a gd6 broken down since itís launch. Besides the complaints of dust and shocks of which I havenít personally experienced, I donít recall seeing any major mechanical or electrical issue on the gd 6 based on my observation on these forums.
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PTsalas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
    I think you are in the minority with that view. Would be interesting to see how many want the nice features vs basics. Think sales speak for themselves. I personally prefer the route bakkies are taking vs the alternative dinosaurs. If you want that, there are still options for you in the shape of landcruiser, patrol, hardbody or mahindra.

If the Hilux development videos on YouTube are anything to go by , they have done thousands of kmís testing the Hilux in the outback fully loaded and with a trailer. Also donít forget that itís not Toyotaís first bakkie so strictly speaking they have been testing in Africa and outback for decades. With regards to becoming softer and flimsier, remember that fuel economy is a major selling factor and the easiest way to improve fuel economy is to drop weight, especially on body work and trim. Crash safety and more specifically pedestrian safety also further reinforces the strategy of softer body work. Do you really want the 2 Star NCap safety rating of the previous generation Ford Ranger?

Speaking of reliability of the gd6, I havenít seen a single thread of a gd6 broken down since itís launch. Besides the complaints of dust and shocks of which I havenít personally experienced, I donít recall seeing any major mechanical or electrical issue on the gd 6 based on my observation on these forums.
    Yes I agree.

Few bakkies work as hard as rented bakkies in Namibia.

For day to day with some off road these work very well.

I had 60 000 km service on Friday and no issues at all.

Compared to the new Ford wold track the Hilux has become a fossil.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post

If one considers the passion that South Africans have for their bakkies (incl the journalists) I doubt if there is any DC bakkie in SA that has been reviewed without bias.

Generally a Toyota fan will stay a Toyota fan, Ford will stay a Ford fan and so on...

I run a Safari business in Namibia and last year started to replace the old 4x4 2.5 D4D Hilux with the new 4x4 2.4 GD6 Hilux. We bought one last year May and in June started using it for our safaris and to hire it out to our self-drive clients. So basically, it's just over a year old.

I'm not sure why Toyota is saying the new Hilux is even tougher than the old one, this is absolute rubbish! The old 2005 Hilux was tough as nails and the little problems we experienced were few and far apart. The new one.......it's more in the workshop than anything else! In one year it was repaired 5 times, 4 times under warranty. At +- 16000km a CV joint had to be replaced, according to Toyota it wasn't a warranty job, so we had to fork out a couple of grand on a basically brand-new vehicle.
    20 000km and the shocks were in a bad shape, but Toyota refused to replace them. At 30 000km it was so bad, they had no other choice but to replace them, but again no stock and a long wait.
    40 000km, the shocks were giving up again, but Toyota says nothing is wrong. However, they have to replace the engine mountings and brake backing plates, another week in the workshop.
    At 50 000km, the shocks have now given up completely and Toyota will now replace them again and they actually have some in stock!! At least only 2 days in the workshop!

I've now spoken to various companies here that have the new Hilux on their fleet and all of them say the same about it. Never ever the same as the old Hilux and all would wish they could get the old model again. We all new about the shock problem only weeks after the first Hilux came out here in Namibia. Nearly 2 years later Toyota has not changed the shock and just keeps on replacing them. Great if you have time, but our cars must be on the road to make an income and not stand in the workshop!
    Engine mountings also seem to be a really big problem, dust that comes into the cabin, ABS and 4x4 problems due to wiring on the chassis not being protected and now I hear the dust filter is also an issue on the Diesel engines....great! In a country such as Namibia, there is a problem with the dust filter! This is not what one expected from the new "tougher" Hilux!

I'm a die hard Toyota Fan, I have the old 4x4 V6 Toyota Hilux with 148 000km on and no real problems, except an air sensor that gave up and needed to be replaced. I actually wanted to sell it and buy the new 4x4 Hilux V6 Dakar edition, but have changed my mind. Will keep the old one as it will give less problems in the years to come, that is guaranteed! Maybe by 2022 the new Hilux will have been sorted out, but for now, no thank you!

ďHe who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh atEpictetus

For what it is worth - on my Vigo the front shock collapsed at 1 000km

I was doing a 4x4 mod - BEFORE doing anything to the vehicle

The next week the bumpers were replaced, and I moved up my schedule for installing IronMan shocks.

problem solved - the stock shocks were never going to work for a kitted 4x4 in any case ....

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I saw last week a new patrol bakkie. https://www.nissan.co.za/vehicles/ne...l-pick-up.html

Not sure what discount one get at Nssan, but a bought a new DC LC v6 last week for N$575000
    Patrol Pickup not available in Australia anymore. Just a matter of time for SA.

One of the big game reserves close by sent 13 new Hiluxes back to Toyota for repairs on cracked body panels.

Ernie Griesel a member here and owner of the Donkerpoort 4x4 track near Gariep brother has trade his new GD6 Hilux for a Nissan Patrol. I am afraid that I might mix some facts. They have had two steering rack failures and were of great concern about safety. Lots of other problems on the Hilux. Would be better if Ernie tells the story himself.

He also mentioned a GD6 locked its steering with a steering rack failure on his 4x4 trail. Must say that they are farmers and do daily gravel travel.

As said it is not only the Hilux the same can be said of all modern bakkies used in these conditions.
    Last edited by grips; 2018/07/10 at 06:08 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

For all those who love to mention all the safety gadgets the 70 Cruiser has been upgraded to NCAP 5 rating in Australia.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast