To Chip or Not to Chip

Thumbs up To Chip or Not to Chip

Good day Fello Mitso Owners,

I have a Paj Sport 2.5 4x4 2015 model. Its coming to the end of service and warranty plans, and I am looking at chipping it.
    Not that Im unhappy with the vehicle, but a little bit of oomph and lower consumption is never a bad idea.

Are there any owners that have chipped their Paj Sports that can give me some advice on whats the best, any hassles, and is it worth it?

Thanks Okes.
    2014 Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 - Current wheels
    2003 D/C Colt 3.0 V6 4x4 - Sold to Dad
    2003 Club Cab 2.8Tdi 4x4 - Write off

I would rather push my Jap crap than drive a Landy.

Mitsubishi mad!!

Next addition to family- Shorty Paj!8)

Default Re: To Chip or Not to Chip

I chipped both my Nissan Terrano in about 2004 and my 3.0 Di Patrol in February this year and though consumption stayed about the same on both, the low down torque and general drivability increase made both on the two diesel vehicles a pleasure.

I will recommend that if you do chip the vehicle you SHOULD fit a Madman EGT monitoring system.

I am pro chipping but do not drive it as you would a petrol vehicle, I only use the extra power when towing and going up hills. Even then I never hold the accellerator pedal to the floor for more than about 3 to 5 seconds.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/07/08 at 10:24 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Mistake....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/07/08 at 10:24 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I chipped both my Nissan Terrano in about 2004 and my 3.0 Di Patrol in February this year and though consumption stayed about the same on both, the low down torque and general drivability increase made both on the two diesel vehicles a pleasure.

I will recommend that if you do chip the vehicle you SHOULD fit a Madman EGT monitoring system.

I am pro chipping but do not drive it as you would a petrol vehicle, I only use the extra power when towing and going up hills. Even then I never hold the accellerator pedal to the floor for more than about 3 to 5 seconds.

Thanks MV... Yeah, Im definitely not looking at it to drive as a petrol, but the extra power will always help in some 4x4 scenarios.

Mitsubishi mad!!

Also chipped my 2.5 and made a big difference was working well but had heard /read about way too many long term challenges with Chipping so went and did a software upgrade with MitsiTech and its one of the best investments you can make on the 2.5

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-PS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-PS View Post
    Also chipped my 2.5 and made a big difference was working well but had heard /read about way too many long term challenges with Chipping so went and did a software upgrade with MitsiTech and its one of the best investments you can make on the 2.5
    I googled the name MitsiTech, but didn't come up with anything... Have you got any other details for them?

Mitsubishi mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasito View Post
    I googled the name MitsiTech, but didn't come up with anything... Have you got any other details for them?
    https://www.facebook.com/Mitsi-Tech-...9093530550191/

11 Pieter Uys Ave (39.68 km)
    1450 Alberton, Gauteng

081 549 2543

www.mitsitechperformance.co.za
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I had a Unichip in my 2015 PS, and took it out after one week - something just felt wrong and I noticed strange turbo sounds as well as raised common rail pressures througout the ref-range (obd reader).
    Did a remap at Mitsitech a few months ago - now I am happy towing my bushlapa....
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-16-10-14-33.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  779.6 KB
    2010 Pajero gen 4 SWB 3.8
    2015 Pajero Sport 2.5
    2000 Pajero gen 2 SWB 3.5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonPS View Post
    I had a Unichip in my 2015 PS, and took it out after one week - something just felt wrong and I noticed strange turbo sounds as well as raised common rail pressures througout the ref-range (obd reader).
    Did a remap at Mitsitech a few months ago - now I am happy towing my bushlapa....
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-16-10-14-33.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  779.6 KB

Thanks Leon,
    So stay away from Unichip then?

You also recommend the Mitsitech?

Mitsubishi mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasito View Post
    Thanks Leon,
    So stay away from Unichip then?

You also recommend the Mitsitech?
    Unichip - not for me...

Mitsitech - any day...very professional !
    I travelled from Windhoek to have it done there.
    2010 Pajero gen 4 SWB 3.8
    2015 Pajero Sport 2.5
    2000 Pajero gen 2 SWB 3.5 (sold)

At the time I had my 2.5 pajsport many moons ago, I also chipped it with a racechip 2. But it’s default settings were way too aggressive for it - the turbo lag was gone, but it was running way too rich. In standard form, this engine discharges lots of black smoke, and the chip only made it worse. So I turned the chip down to it lowest settings, and this gave a nice all round improvement. I was very very happy for a while. Then the increased fuel rail pressure kept on collapsing the diesel filter. Well, that’s my layman’s reasoning anyway. The engine warning light would go on, but no limp mode would activate. Then I would take it in to the dealer, and have the fuel filter replaced due it it being “clogged”. It could have been dirty fuel, but I always used Sasol 10ppm at reputable stations. The dealership knew about the chip, but were so sick of me complaining about the lag and the consumption, that they overlooked it. At 900 bucks a pop to replace, the filter was not cheap, and this happened three times. By the 3rd time, I finally decided to ditch the chip, and the problem stopped. I am not saying don’t mod the engine, but be wary that there is no free lunch.
    2016 Mercedes C250d - surprisingly quick
    2013 Mercedes C200 Edition C - SOLD
    2013 PJS 2.5did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2010 PJS 3.2did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2009 Triton 2.5did 4x2 d/c - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by preyalin View Post
    At the time I had my 2.5 pajsport many moons ago, I also chipped it with a racechip 2. But it’s default settings were way too aggressive for it - the turbo lag was gone, but it was running way too rich. In standard form, this engine discharges lots of black smoke, and the chip only made it worse. So I turned the chip down to it lowest settings, and this gave a nice all round improvement. I was very very happy for a while. Then the increased fuel rail pressure kept on collapsing the diesel filter. Well, that’s my layman’s reasoning anyway. The engine warning light would go on, but no limp mode would activate. Then I would take it in to the dealer, and have the fuel filter replaced due it it being “clogged”. It could have been dirty fuel, but I always used Sasol 10ppm at reputable stations. The dealership knew about the chip, but were so sick of me complaining about the lag and the consumption, that they overlooked it. At 900 bucks a pop to replace, the filter was not cheap, and this happened three times. By the 3rd time, I finally decided to ditch the chip, and the problem stopped. I am not saying don’t mod the engine, but be wary that there is no free lunch.
    Rather do a software upgrade much much better and more reliable and much more performance and the agents can't detect it unless a software upgrade is needed and this is only if your vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty