Choosing our off-road camper went like this . . .

Default Choosing our off-road camper went like this . . .

Brief background: we have been camping for years in Kombiís, tents, caravans, off-road trailer, etc. but the kids have grown up and we are now at a life-stage when the ease of going, travelling and camping is really important. While I understand that buying anything (vehicle, camper, tent, etc.) is always a personal choice, depending on your needs and brand loyalty, I thought it might be interesting to relate how we got to our final choices of what to buy and how to fit it out?

1. We like going off the beaten track . . . so it has got to be off-road capable.

2. We like early morning and late evening game drives (a lot) . . . so roof-top tents and camper-vans are not ideal, because you have to nearly pack up camp just to go for a game drive . . . so it will have to be towed.

3. Although we have got a capable tow vehicle and have towed a variety of things for years, I like towing light and easy . . . so the lighter the better.

4. We went to the Kgalagadi this year and half the fun was visiting and chatting to the other campers and seeing their setups . . . and so initially we were attracted to the light, easy and well-equipped off-road trailers.

5. But we like to travel both long distances with single night stops as well as settling down in one spot for a week or two . . . so the trade-off between ease of setup and comfort got us to decide on a basic off-road caravan.

6. Brand was simple Ė we just liked everything about the Bush Lapaís (see the various Bush Lapa threads on the Forum) . . . but there are others out there too.

7. Once we got to Bush Lapa, the choice of range was between the Goggaís (820 kg) and the Baobabís (over 1000 kg), but with that fantastic awning it was an easy choice . . . the lighter and simpler Gogga range would do just fine for us.

8. Most of the time it will be just the two of us, with the odd grandkid every now and then, so a three berth is enough and the very clever and spacious layout made us choose . . . the 3-berth Boskriek.

9. The only important consideration for extras was the need to be off-grid from time to time - and I am no electrician . . . so we opted for the factory-fitted and roof-mounted 140W solar panel and controller.

10. Finally, on our various travels, by far the most problems I have seen and experienced have been to do with wheels and tyres. So there was no question that we wanted to match rims and tyres of the BL to our Prado tow vehicle, giving us effectively three additional spares for the Prado and lots of other options besides when on the road . . . so the BL needs to get 265/65/R17ís (with a suitable axle being fitted by the factory) . . . and after some effort I managed to source 4 second-hand OME wheels from a Fortuner, already fitted with low mileage Yokohama Geolanders. Interestingly the wheel diameter is only 4% larger than the standard 245/75/15 of the BL wheels, which will cause us very few problems.

So when the BL is finally delivered, the only choice left will be . . . which road to take . . . ?
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PedroD For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Choosing our off-road camper went like this . . .

Congratualtions on an excellent choice!
    [B]Prado TX 4.0|Rocksliders|Bash Plate|Lift| Bushlapa Miskruier 892 Past: FJ Cruiser Rav4 2.0 (SWAMBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Going_for_a_ride View Post
    So when the BL is finally delivered, the only choice left will be . . . which road to take . . . ?
    Enjoy it. The road? First gravel that turns right.

Congrats - welcome to the family - best choice!
    Enjoy everything to experience in the future!
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

Quote Originally Posted by Going_for_a_ride View Post
    Brief background: we have been camping for years in Kombiís, tents, caravans, off-road trailer, etc. but the kids have grown up and we are now at a life-stage when the ease of going, travelling and camping is really important. While I understand that buying anything (vehicle, camper, tent, etc.) is always a personal choice, depending on your needs and brand loyalty, I thought it might be interesting to relate how we got to our final choices of what to buy and how to fit it out?

1. We like going off the beaten track . . . so it has got to be off-road capable.

2. We like early morning and late evening game drives (a lot) . . . so roof-top tents and camper-vans are not ideal, because you have to nearly pack up camp just to go for a game drive . . . so it will have to be towed.

3. Although we have got a capable tow vehicle and have towed a variety of things for years, I like towing light and easy . . . so the lighter the better.

4. We went to the Kgalagadi this year and half the fun was visiting and chatting to the other campers and seeing their setups . . . and so initially we were attracted to the light, easy and well-equipped off-road trailers.

5. But we like to travel both long distances with single night stops as well as settling down in one spot for a week or two . . . so the trade-off between ease of setup and comfort got us to decide on a basic off-road caravan.

6. Brand was simple Ė we just liked everything about the Bush Lapaís (see the various Bush Lapa threads on the Forum) . . . but there are others out there too.

7. Once we got to Bush Lapa, the choice of range was between the Goggaís (820 kg) and the Baobabís (over 1000 kg), but with that fantastic awning it was an easy choice . . . the lighter and simpler Gogga range would do just fine for us.

8. Most of the time it will be just the two of us, with the odd grandkid every now and then, so a three berth is enough and the very clever and spacious layout made us choose . . . the 3-berth Boskriek.

9. The only important consideration for extras was the need to be off-grid from time to time - and I am no electrician . . . so we opted for the factory-fitted and roof-mounted 140W solar panel and controller.

10. Finally, on our various travels, by far the most problems I have seen and experienced have been to do with wheels and tyres. So there was no question that we wanted to match rims and tyres of the BL to our Prado tow vehicle, giving us effectively three additional spares for the Prado and lots of other options besides when on the road . . . so the BL needs to get 265/65/R17ís (with a suitable axle being fitted by the factory) . . . and after some effort I managed to source 4 second-hand OME wheels from a Fortuner, already fitted with low mileage Yokohama Geolanders. Interestingly the wheel diameter is only 4% larger than the standard 245/75/15 of the BL wheels, which will cause us very few problems.

Excellent write-up.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Enjoy every moment.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. I should also add that each decision was made after lots of reading and research on this Forum and I thank all of you for your generous sharing of wisdom and experiences over the years. Dit voel asof ek al 'n paar van julle goed ken!
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

Lekker man Peter. Ek is nou al 7 jaar deel van die familie.....eersgeborene kan mens seker sÍ.... Hoop om jou iewers raak te kamp en 'n koue "ice tea" te deel. Jy gaan hom baie geniet. Ons is nou net terug van 2 weke deur Richtersveld en NamibiŽ en het net weereens besef hoe geseŽnd ons is.

Ek moet net sÍ, mens kan nÍrens meer wegkruip nie. Ons was by obskure plekke maar wragtag....die Bush Lapa's dop oral uit....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

If I can suggest a solar mod - ask to get a Victron MPPT solar charger instead of the default PWM unit; it just optimizes the panel utilization.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post: