MediaRelease: Inflate Tyres & Give Yourself a Salary Increase

Default Inflate Tyres & Give Yourself a Salary Increase

Tiger Wheel & Tyre to Motorists - Inflate Tyres & Give Yourself a Salary Increase

Company Reminds Motorists that Under-Inflated Tyres Increase Fuel Consumption

With one petrol price increase after another, it's turning out to be a bleak winter. The knock-on effect of these increases means the price of just about everything goes up, so it's not surprising that the fuel price is the subject of dinner conversation, social media discussion and a source of general misery for South Africans. However, Tiger Wheel & Tyre reminds us that while we're powerless to affect the fuel price, we do have some control when it comes to lowering our fuel consumption.

According to Tiger Wheel & Tyre something as simple as ensuring your car's tyres are pumped to the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressure, for the loads you routinely carry, can impact your fuel consumption. How so? It's all about the rolling resistance of the tyres. Underinflated tyres don't roll as easily as properly inflated tyres do, and the more your tyres have to 'fight' the road surface, the more fuel your vehicle consumes.

According to the US Department of Energy, for every half a bar drop in tyre pressure, your fuel consumption increases by 2.8 percent. That may not sound like a great deal, but for every R1000 spent on petrol, that's a R28 saving, and it adds up over time! So, give yourself a salary increase and inflate your tyres.

Another pro tip from Tiger Wheel & Tyre is to check tyre pressure when tyres are cold. Warm tyres will give an inaccurate reading, so check them first thing in the morning and preferably before you've driven more than two kilometres. Also, remember to inflate according to your vehicle manufacturer's guidelines, which you'll find in the owner's manual or on the inside of the driver's door, and not according to the pressure printed on the sidewall. The latter indicates the maximum pressure under maximum load for that tyre, whereas the manufacturer's guidelines are fine-tuned to your particular vehicle.

Finally, your vehicle's wheel alignment also affects the rolling resistance of tyres, and therefore fuel consumption. Be sure to have your alignment checked every 10 000 km and after every bone-jarring hit on a pavement or pothole.

Remember that proper tyre care and maintenance will do more than just increase fuel consumption, it will improve your safety on the road and increase the life of your tyres, saving you even more money in the long run.

Get more expert advice from the tyre professionals at your local Tiger Wheel & Tyre and visit www.twt.to for top tips, tyre news, and to shop online. Online shoppers also have the exclusive option to "Book A Bay" online, to have their newly purchased products fitted and services performed at the time and store of their choosing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Inflate Tyres & Give Yourself a Salary Increase

Here's a question that has been bugging me for ever.

Why check tyre pressures cold?
    When do you use and need the tyres? When their cold?
    NO.
    You use the tyres when thy are hot. So why check it when it's cold.
    I have never seen anyone give a propper technical reason for that.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2018/07/05 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    Here's a question that has been bugging me for ever.

Why check tyre pressures cold?
    When do you use and need the tyres? When their cold?
    NO.
    You use the tyres when thy are hot. So why check it when it's cold.
    I have never seen anyone give a propper technical reason for that.
    Tyres do not heat up evenly when driving, and adjusting pressure when hot may lead to tyres with different 'actual' pressure.
    I could elaborate further if you feel i should explain further.
    It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Photokid For This Useful Post:

Sed

Quote Originally Posted by Photokid View Post
    Tyres do not heat up evenly when driving, and adjusting pressure when hot may lead to tyres with different 'actual' pressure.
    I could elaborate further if you feel i should explain further.
    But that makes no good sense. Shouldn't operating preasure be your aim since that's where the work happens while it's hot. As I say, I have never seen a valid technical explanation thatvprooves satisfactory for this method. It's just a question that's been bothering me.
    In long trips from Cape Town to Bloemfontein I check preasures at each fueling stop and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    But that makes no good sense. Shouldn't operating preasure be your aim since that's where the work happens while it's hot. As I say, I have never seen a valid technical explanation thatvprooves satisfactory for this method. It's just a question that's been bothering me.
    In long trips from Cape Town to Bloemfontein I check preasures at each fueling stop and adjust accordingly.
    Why is setting pressure on hot tyres better than when cold? Whats the advantage?

You may have drove down a mountain pass with more right hand turns than left, that would've increased tyre temp and pressure on the left front, for instance, and if you'd stopped at the station very soon after, would you lower pressure in that tyre?
    If you would, and thereafter drove a distance of straight road, that tyre would be running much less pressure than the others, and have increased wear.

Also, driving inland from sea level or vice versa will change the pressure reading, as tyre pressure is relative to atmospheric pressure.
    So a tyre inflated to 2.5 bar inland may very well not be 2.5 bar at the coast.

Let your car stand with two tyres in full sun.

Then measure pressure on sun side vs shade side.

There will be a wee bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Photokid View Post
    Also, driving inland from sea level or vice versa will change the pressure reading, as tyre pressure is relative to atmospheric pressure.
    So a tyre inflated to 2.5 bar inland may very well not be 2.5 bar at the coast.
    That I am well aware of.
    Hence the reason why I check preasures when refueling in long trips.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2018/07/06 at 09:22 AM.

Check only when cold that is the bench mark.

if you needed to check when hot you would have to take the temp of each tire and reference the handbook as each tire will be different.

The hand book would have to list the various pressures for you: eg long fast trip in winter/summer, more right hand turns than left, altitude, tread depth, type of tire, silicon content, high/low profile.....the hand book would look like a Loen Uris novel.

All tires cold that is they benchmark, then they are all at the same temp.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Nissan Micra SWAMBO's "Mushroom"
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach