Light Bars (alweer) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Light Bars (alweer)

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Rather get two half-mufah light bars, and mount them next to each other...
    yes I think I'll do that

and most of the metro cops don't really look that closely: if they can't see a light bar on a nudge bar, bumper or roll bar, they immediately look at your license disk and tyres and then wave you on

in fact, I haven't had any metro cop actually ask me to demonstrate that any lights or indicators are actually working
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yes I think I'll do that

and most of the metro cops don't really look that closely: if they can't see a light bar on a nudge bar, bumper or roll bar, they immediately look at your license disk and tyres and then wave you on

in fact, I haven't had any metro cop actually ask me to demonstrate that any lights or indicators are actually working
    I had one pull me over on the N4 close to Bronkies (their favourite spot). They tested EVERYTHING. Eventually wrote me up because my hooter didn't work - it had blown after an attempted vehicle theft.

The difference in price between known brands vs Chinese vs Ebay units,
    To answer your original question, most of the ebay units are Chinese lights. You get good quality Chinese lights and extremely poor quality.
    Something to stay away from are those cheap lights with the double row 3W or 5W LEDS.
    They look impressive but many of those make less light than the vehicle's brights,
    which make me wonder why the cops make such a fuss about LED Bars as those do not make much light anyway.

When you go for spotlights rather go for something with only one big LED. With multiple LEDs some still arguae you have 16 lights on your vehicle.

If you really want to go for a bar put two loose units.
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4 2700i, 'n groene met swart tyres
    19 Voertsheck Jeep CJ5 Built on 1984 Safari mechanics
    1972 Jeep CJ5 With Cevy 350
    2007 Touareg 4.2 V8 Petrol.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past year)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pietpetoors For This Useful Post:

My 800mm lightbar at around R1500 has already blown half of the lights. I added two LED stoplights (R850 for the set) to the front and Im much happier with the 2 spotlights than the huge lightbar. Althought the lightbar is 5D technology, hwat ever that is, its on its way out. I would rather now invest in a bigger pair of spotlights again, than a lightbar. A lightbar of 150mm to 300mm does actaully nothing for you even with a 800mm it lights up the sides nicely, but in distance it falls way short. The only reason I keep the lightbar is for patrols.

A proper 800mm LED Bar will give you at least 400 meter of useable light. You get LED Bars and you get LED Bars. As I said, the traffic cops do not have to worry about them cheapies because they do not make light anway.
    Last edited by pietpetoors; 2018/07/09 at 09:02 AM.
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4 2700i, 'n groene met swart tyres
    19 Voertsheck Jeep CJ5 Built on 1984 Safari mechanics
    1972 Jeep CJ5 With Cevy 350
    2007 Touareg 4.2 V8 Petrol.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past year)

Since the cops don’t like light bars, why not just upgrade the high and low beams to LED at the legal height with the OEM reflectors for long-reach? Some LEDs are 4.5 times brighter than OEM. The better LED lights have fans built-in, but that is mainly due to the resistors becoming little heaters. The resistors are there to increase the load to 55W in order to fool the Canbus so that it doesn’t think you have a burnt out bulb. Most LEDs are waterproof and shockproof (for off-roading?).
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

I am just blown away that these light bars still get sold to unsuspecting buyers, and the sales people don't warn them that LED lights are illegal on our roads, and those of all SADC countries!.....

The dumb thing is that anyone in their right mind does not drive on the rural/country / arterial main roads after sundown anyhow, and certainly not in adjoining states because of the dangers of animals in the roads etc.....

The reason why these things are outlawed is because they blind on-coming traffic, and how clever is that when you blind someone and they run into you!!!!?

If you want to pimp your ride, do so with stuff that is practical, looks good and doesn't do others harm!

Come on people, get with the plan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    I have looking at installing some extra light to my vehicle.
    I have given consideration on light bar - +-300mm long units. as well as 2 smaller unit 4", one on either side.

Here is the big question.
    The difference in price between known brands vs Chinese vs Ebay units, are there that much difference. I have seen chinese cheapies taking water in via seals and have seen some giving known brands a go.

surely lumens rating should be the same be-it chinese or Hella/light force etc.

will these make a difference or would I be wasting money. This is the alternative

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Driman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Driman View Post
    I am just blown away that these light bars still get sold to unsuspecting buyers, and the sales people don't warn them that LED lights are illegal on our roads, and those of all SADC countries!.....

The dumb thing is that anyone in their right mind does not drive on the rural/country / arterial main roads after sundown anyhow, and certainly not in adjoining states because of the dangers of animals in the roads etc.....

The reason why these things are outlawed is because they blind on-coming traffic, and how clever is that when you blind someone and they run into you!!!!?

If you want to pimp your ride, do so with stuff that is practical, looks good and doesn't do others harm!

Come on people, get with the plan!!!
    While I agree that salesmeen should inform their clients, the rest of your post is hard to swallow.

Firstly, it's simply not possible to avoid all travel after dark. Just this past week I had to travel in the dark on the way back to Kimberley. We planned to do the trip in daytime, but had to drop of my MIL at a shuttle first. A delay in the shuttle made us late. Now what do you expect me to do? Nope, sometimes one has to do the night travel thing. And when that happens, I wish to be in the best possible situation.

The fact that one has a set of spotlights, doesn't mean you use it when other traffic approaches. That would be stupid. It's driver error, and no fault of the lights. How does that make light bars any different?

Come on, stop blaming equipment for operator error....
    André Opperman
    We live in an age of false history and bold lies told by artful political entrepreneurs to a younger generation that cannot be motivated to learn and understand its own history. - Songezo Zibi.

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Light Bars (alweer)

Simple thought! They are ILLEGAL, so why any question of fitment or use? I'm not interested in the fact that they are being sold, it is illegal to fit them, so why do so?
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markb For This Useful Post:

I don't drive around often at night. But when we do travel to remote places I do require a bit of extra light. That was the main reason regarding 2 small light bars. However from some decent replies here it seem that I might be better off buying a set of hella comet 500's or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    While I agree that salesmeen should inform their clients, the rest of your post is hard to swallow.

Firstly, it's simply not possible to avoid all travel after dark. Just this past week I had to travel in the dark on the way back to Kimberley. We planned to do the trip in daytime, but had to drop of my MIL at a shuttle first. A delay in the shuttle made us late. Now what do you expect me to do? Nope, sometimes one has to do the night travel thing. And when that happens, I wish to be in the best possible situation.

The fact that one has a set of spotlights, doesn't mean you use it when other traffic approaches. That would be stupid. It's driver error, and no fault of the lights. How does that make light bars any different?

Come on, stop blaming equipment for operator error....

Default Light Bars (alweer)

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    Not true .....

If you bothered to research your answer before making this comment, you would have seen that it is updated on a regular basis. The copy I have in my possession is the 31 October 2014 update.

Johan
    And the technology in it is?
    Every new vehicle imported or manufactured must be approved by authorities.
    Soooo, they are breaking their own laws....
    Too stoopid to understand it!!
    You call 2014 recently??
    Last edited by REAList; 2018/07/11 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    You call 2014 recently??
    Homologation and after market fitment is two vast different things....

En sommer....

If your lights are not up to scratch in the dark, how about slowing down somewhat so that your reaction time is improved in relation to the depth of your light penetration.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

What part of illegal don't people understand. Trying to justify breaking the law by arguing that the law is outdated and whatever other excuses or bad attitudes keep cropping up doesn't count for anything. This forum is full of comments, complaints and winging about the state of the country, its citizens, hi-jakkings, CIT robberies, taxi drivers etc and a high percentage of the moaners jump in their car with illegal equipment fitted. When it comes to the law around vehicle lights, it may be outdated. So what, it is still the law.
    C'mon guys if we want to see positive change in this country, it starts with every individual.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 SOLD
    2006 LR Defender 110 TD5 SOLD
    1999 LR Defender 110 2.8 SOLD

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by REAList View Post
    You call 2014 recently??
    2014 is a bit more recent than the 1950's as you claimed, is it not ?

Although ignorance is no excuse, people who blatantly disregard the law belong in prison.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    En sommer....

If your lights are not up to scratch in the dark, how about slowing down somewhat so that your reaction time is improved in relation to the depth of your light penetration.
    I always slow down in the dark ... too reach for my lighter so that i can see if my headlights are on
    Defender 2.8i

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2