16" Rims for Grand Vitara

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 16" Rims for Grand Vitara

Need to replace the 18" rims and just as I've heard 16" alloy wheels are proving to be hard to find for the GV.
    Where have forum members found compatible 16" wheels?
    The following A-line rim is available from Errol's Tyres: 16x7.0|5x114|42 16" 820kg CB73.1
    Will the above fit the GV? I suppose an adapter would be used for the centre bore?

Last question, will 235/70R16 tyres fit without rubbing on an unlifted GV?

Default Re: 16" Rims for Grand Vitara

tucson,x trail,sportage.....will fit

no need for center bore adapter.

on lifted GV:
    255 will start to rub at full turn.i use 245/70/16.
    standard GV:
    235 should be ok.you can always try it first at tire place.
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/07/05 at 09:57 AM.

Hi Vin

also see this https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Modifications
    under sticky threads,

theres a part that discusses the size of tyres you could fit. Post #11
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to digibane For This Useful Post:

Thanks digibane, been looking for that post. So it seems the tyre size will work.

@jadranko, thanks, didn't know x-trail and sportage rims also worked. Although finding 5 matching used rims for sale is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by VinZA View Post
    Thanks digibane, been looking for that post. So it seems the tyre size will work.

@jadranko, thanks, didn't know x-trail and sportage rims also worked. Although finding 5 matching used rims for sale is not easy.
    previous models,not sure about present ones.

gumthree,junk mail....
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/07/05 at 10:16 AM.

In response to your initial post, the A-line rims should work. Regarding the hubcentric spacers (spigot rings): many people will tell you that they are CRITICAL for safely fitting aftermarket rims, other people will tell you that they are really not that important. It is a choice you will have to make. I will add that I agree with Jadranko, despite the fact that I have them installed on my Jeep KJ rims. Most rings are made of polymer plastic which is not the most structural material available. I believe they only assist in aligning holes for ease of bolt/nut installation. After bolts/nuts have been torqued, the surface friction (and perhaps a bit of bolt strength) does the job.

Another few options are Suzuki SX4 wheels, Land Rover Freelander 1 rims and (if you are not too bothered about Alu/Mag alloys)the older Jeep KJ (Cherokee Sport) steel rims as well. These are heavy, though.

If there is nothing on Valueforest (combo of gumtree/junkmail/olx/etc), then search for guys breaking cars for spares.
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2018/07/05 at 12:18 PM.

Here's one example in Middelburg MP (a bargain if they are all straight and in good condition):
    https://www.olx.co.za/item/land-rove...iid-1055811264

These unfortunately in CT:
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-car-tyre...10910037449609
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2018/07/05 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    In response to your initial post, the A-line rims should work. Regarding the hubcentric spacers (spigot rings): many people will tell you that they are CRITICAL for safely fitting aftermarket rims, other people will tell you that they are really not that important. It is a choice you will have to make. I will add that I agree with Jadranko, despite the fact that I have them installed on my Jeep KJ rims. Most rings are made of polymer plastic which is not the most structural material available. I believe they only assist in aligning holes for ease of bolt/nut installation. After bolts/nuts have been torqued, the surface friction (and perhaps a bit of bolt strength) does the job.

Another few options are Suzuki SX4 wheels, Land Rover Freelander 1 rims and (if you are not too bothered about Alu/Mag alloys)the older Jeep KJ (Cherokee Sport) steel rims as well. These are heavy, though.

If there is nothing on Valueforest (combo of gumtree/junkmail/olx/etc), then search for guys breaking cars for spares.
    that in red and
    on one side mag/rim on another bolt/nut.touching surface in between is locking tapers.
    align and lock.

I've a set of Rav 4 rims that fit my 2011 GV. Offset is the same @ 45

11. The Following User Says Thank You to G34 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G34 View Post
    I've a set of Rav 4 rims that fit my 2011 GV. Offset is the same @ 45
    Very cool! And I see the centre bore is an exact match as well!

add to the list Renault Duster ....which may be easier to find as they are current

I personally have Hyundai Tucson mags and my GV doesn't give a damn about the centre bore
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2018/07/06 at 05:49 PM.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Thanks for all the replies. Some great info here. Keeping an eye on the used market. So many places sell new rims in sets of 4 and refuse to break a set to give you a 5th 😒

Saw this gv last year..
    so now you guys can see how the duster rims look on a gv.
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Not sure I like the look of the duster rims. Although some dusters have this other rim which is not bad
    Name:  2016-Dacia-Duster-alloy-wheels-at-IAA-2015.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  290.0 KB

Some time in the next week I plan on exchanging the 18's for A-Line mudzillas. These have a 35 offset so should increase track by 10mm each side. Will go with Wrangler AT Adventure 235/70R16. Will this high profile have a noticeable difference in cornering and road holding?
    Reluctant to go 245/70 as I'm worried about power loss and fuel consumption. Unless someone can convince me it's not a big difference?

Not sure I like the look of the duster rims. Although some dusters have this other rim which is not bad
    Name:  2016-Dacia-Duster-alloy-wheels-at-IAA-2015.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  290.0 KB

Some time in the next week I plan on exchanging the 18's for A-Line mudzillas. These have a 35 offset so should increase track by 10mm each side. Will go with Wrangler AT Adventure 235/70R16. Will this high profile have a noticeable difference in cornering and road holding?
    Reluctant to go 245/70 as I'm worried about power loss and fuel consumption. Unless someone can convince me it's not a big difference?
    it is a good choice - the 235/70R16 has virtually the same circumference as standard tyres so speedo, revs, power and consumption will be least affected. There will be a small difference in body roll on cornering but negligible, and you will get used to it quickly.

The 245/70R16 definitely messes with consumption and revs which affects the cruise control too....

You will find that lowering the pressure slightly from normal helps with comfort.. . I use 2.2 on the 245s most of the time.

Fit them, post pics and enjoy

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

I agree with Davey. I have Wrangler Adventures in that same size fitted and they are a joy (at a very decent price)! They are also relatively quiet compared to other AT tires as far as highway traveling goes.

I doubt you will notice any difference in road-holding or cornering, but you might notice that the car feels slightly less powerful due to the tire weight (though my experience might be due to my heavy steel rims rather than the tires).

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    I agree with Davey. I have Wrangler Adventures in that same size fitted and they are a joy (at a very decent price)! They are also relatively quiet compared to other AT tires as far as highway traveling goes.

I doubt you will notice any difference in road-holding or cornering, but you might notice that the car feels slightly less powerful due to the tire weight (though my experience might be due to my heavy steel rims rather than the tires).
    Do you have the 235/70r16 's fitted Piet..? I currently have the same size fitted but with Firestone destination ATs which have also been very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    Do you have the 235/70r16 's fitted Piet..? I currently have the same size fitted but with Firestone destination ATs which have also been very good to me.
    Yes, in 235/70/16. I previously had Dueler 697s, which wore down rather quickly (40 000 km) and then got multiple punctures, so I gave the Goodyears a shot.

Bit of a stupid question but when do you know if tyres are completely at their end..? (other than them being completely smooth)

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    Bit of a stupid question but when do you know if tyres are completely at their end..? (other than them being completely smooth)
    Look at the tread indicator. That would be your legal (roadworthy) angle to look at it.
    Sent from my iPhone

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

GKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast