Td5 leak around the fuel pressure regulator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Td5 leak around the fuel pressure regulator

Howzit guys,

Today I noticed this leak coming from the area where the fuel pressure regulator sits.
    The body itself was clean but both pipes were covered in rubbish.

Is this 100% the whole unit that needs to be changed or are there seals in the pipes coming from the regulator that can be changed?

I have had no issues with starting and the car runs fine

Picture of what it looked like before I cleaned it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Td5 leak around the fuel pressure regulator

The leak is probably from the body of the fpr, the diesel then blows back/drips onto the pipes. Feel if the back of the fpr is wet. I have seen the replacement part on gumtree but have never tried it..Its that silver round part that leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2018/07/04 at 05:48 PM.

To be safe:

New Fuel pressure regulator
    New gasket (body to engine)
    New o-rings for the pipes (are these included with the FPR?)

Does this sound right?

You can try replacing just the orings where the pipes go into the body, any oring that copes with fuel will do, then you dont have to change the body. It depends on where its leaking from.

I'll inspect it tomorrow and see if I can find the leak. Thanks for the help

Had the same issue. Replaced the o rings and bobs your uncle. LR will try to sell you a new unit.
    2002 Discovery td5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

I had a similar issue with that particular fuel line, but on the opposite end from the fuel regulator. Fuel was leaking on the bend of the fuel line just below the yellow rectangular area on the attached photo. It is so cramped in there I couldn't see whether the issue was on the fuel line itself or one of the o-rings. Took it to my local indie and ask for the entire fuel line to be replaced. In hind sight though it could have been one of the o-rings that needed replacement.
    Last edited by Skippr; 2018/07/05 at 11:15 AM.
    2011 RRS HSE Lux
    2002 Disco 2 Td5 GS A/T

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Had the same issue. Replaced the o rings and bobs your uncle. LR will try to sell you a new unit.
    +1

Just a mission to get it off on a D2.... Lots of swearing took place!!

Price on o-ring is about R5 each and the metal gasket about R24. New britpart unit is about R2900
    Discovery 3 V8 SE 2007
    Discovery 2 TD5 2002 (485k km)

True on that one. Scraped nuckles tools falling down etc.
    2002 Discovery td5

Not to mention that ONE bolt or nut you drop that never makes it to the floor, leading to an increase in volume and quality of the swearing.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Not to mention that ONE bolt or nut you drop that never makes it to the floor, leading to an increase in volume and quality of the swearing.
    You know what, to be honest, if I need to do it again, I might consider removing the intake manifold and have plenty of room to make sure everything is properly fitted and torqued to spec. Gasket for the intake manifold is R58.

Depends on time available to do the job.

Also a good time to look at the condition of the core plugs x3 and maybe replace them as well while you have all that stuff off.
    Last edited by Dee's; 2018/07/06 at 12:25 PM.
    Discovery 3 V8 SE 2007
    Discovery 2 TD5 2002 (485k km)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee's View Post
    You know what, to be honest, if I need to do it again, I might consider removing the intake manifold and have plenty of room to make sure everything is properly fitted and torqued to spec. Gasket for the intake manifold is R58.

Depends on time available to do the job.

Also a good time to look at the condition of the core plugs x3 and maybe replace them as well while you have all that stuff off.
    I would not even contemplate doing it without removing the manifold!
    My hat's off to you for that!
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Dee's View Post
    +1

Just a mission to get it off on a D2.... Lots of swearing took place!!

Price on o-ring is about R5 each and the metal gasket about R24. New britpart unit is about R2900
    Where can I get the o-rings? LP4A doesn't have. Going to Dover on Monday I'll see what they have

Default TD5 Fuel pressure regulator recommendation please

Guys, recommendations please on a new FPR for TD5 D2?

I have replaced 2 of them in the past 2 months. Both of them were Britpart which I got from Dover parts. The first failed within a week or two and started dripping from the pressed casing. On closer examination, (I cut it apart) it turned out that the diaphragm had failed where it was crimped into the side of the casing. I think due to a tooling problem in manufacture.
    I got a second one, and it seemed to be fine and has been since December, but this weekend it failed catastrophically pumping out half a tank of diesel in the 15 minutes it took me to get home. It was squirting out of the exit pipe on the pressed casing so can only assume its another failed diaphragm.

Can you guys recommend something other than the britpart one? I understand that the landy OEM ones also give problems.

PS. having taken it out and put it back in quite a few times now, I am becoming a bit of an expert at it. Strongly recommend removing the bolts holding the fuel cooler in place and moving it slightly aside. Creates just that bit of extra space needed to properly get in there, especially when torquing up the bolts.
    I also replaced the standard mounting bolts with socket head cap screws (Gr 8.8) which made a world of a difference in terms of keeping the tool in place while tightening or loosening.

Default Re: TD5 Fuel pressure regulator recommendation please

Quote Originally Posted by dudleybza View Post
    Guys, recommendations please on a new FPR for TD5 D2?

I have replaced 2 of them in the past 2 months. Both of them were Britpart which I got from Dover parts. The first failed within a week or two and started dripping from the pressed casing. On closer examination, (I cut it apart) it turned out that the diaphragm had failed where it was crimped into the side of the casing. I think due to a tooling problem in manufacture.
    I got a second one, and it seemed to be fine and has been since December, but this weekend it failed catastrophically pumping out half a tank of diesel in the 15 minutes it took me to get home. It was squirting out of the exit pipe on the pressed casing so can only assume its another failed diaphragm.

Can you guys recommend something other than the britpart one? I understand that the landy OEM ones also give problems.

PS. having taken it out and put it back in quite a few times now, I am becoming a bit of an expert at it. Strongly recommend removing the bolts holding the fuel cooler in place and moving it slightly aside. Creates just that bit of extra space needed to properly get in there, especially when torquing up the bolts.
    I also replaced the standard mounting bolts with socket head cap screws (Gr 8.8) which made a world of a difference in terms of keeping the tool in place while tightening or loosening.
    I'm having exactly the same problem currently and bought the same as you from the same company. My FPR lasted 2500km since 15 January 2020. I was forced to look for the old leaking one just to avoid the whole tank being drained in 22km trip home.
    It's a Bosh FPR that completely failed.
    Please let us know if you find any other brand that's reliable. According to the salesman that I spoke to, it's the first time that the FPR that they sell totally fail.

Hi Wihan

I have a Td5 Defender and had that leak as well. I got a Bosch one and its holding up. It seems that I should get a spare if that is what happens when it fails to get to the nearest help. Other than that I have no advice.
    ONE LIFE!

Had the same problem creep up the day before lockdown started. Diesel dripping off the bell-housing.

I managed to get a replacement (just the regulator) from Goldwagen today for R357. Managed to remove the circlip and pull out the old one without removing the whole assembly or pipes, pushed the new one in and replaced the cir-clip. All seems well now, will just have to see if the part holds up.

For anyone else that doesn't want to replace everything it is possible to just replace the regulator. Please note - I could see the leak so knew it was not the hoses or gasket so no need to break the seal and replace them. When I got the old one out I could see the 2 o-rings were damaged which confirmed my thoughts prior.

I used a small mirror to see the clip and had a 90 degree arm on the cir-clip pliers. All in all took me about 20 minutes.

Will get new o-rings and keep the old as a spare for now.

Hi Travisty
    Thanx for the post. I have got 2 questions.
    If it was only the O rings wouldnt it be cheaper to only replace them instead of the regulator? They are odd size though.
    I tried Goldwagen but they could not help for the ones they got was below 4 bar. Are you sure the one you got are for 4.2bar? ( I think the system runs at 4.2bar. )
    If so what is the partnumber? I will get one as a spare.

Thanx
    ONE LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    Hi Travisty
    Thanx for the post. I have got 2 questions.
    If it was only the O rings wouldnt it be cheaper to only replace them instead of the regulator? They are odd size though.
    I tried Goldwagen but they could not help for the ones they got was below 4 bar. Are you sure the one you got are for 4.2bar? ( I think the system runs at 4.2bar. )
    If so what is the partnumber? I will get one as a spare.

Thanx
    Hey Wildkyker,

They would be cheaper yes but during lockdown its hard to get parts so just bought the whole thing as it's my daily driver as well and need to get around now.

It is a 4.0bar unit, took it for a drive around the block and don't notice any difference power wise, if it battles on the open road I will get the OEM or Bosch part and keep this as a spare. I also don't go over 2500rpm or 100kph so might not effect me as much.

p/n 0280160575

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast