Pirelliís new AT Plus

Default Pirelliís new AT Plus

So as Iím still looking for a spare or two for my set of 265/70/17s and leaving for the eastern cape friday morning I started playing with the idea to buy a complete new set and keeping the others for spares.

Attie at Supa Quick Durbanville then showed me the new Pirelli AT Plus. Read up a bit and am now properly curios of how this new tyre would do in a comparison test as it will be replacing the Scorpion ATR which is a respected tyre.

Have anybody fitted these??

After today also not so sure anymore about the size choice of the 70 profile versus the 65 which is one of the most common sizes available.

Default Re: Pirelliís new AT Plus

It must be very new on the market! Neither Pirelli SA nor Tiger Wheel and tyre websites advertise the Plus.

I've always been very happy with ATR, but the AT plus really look more like a rugged tyre and I am looking forward to put it on my bakkie.

Bostoe

Willem did you actually see the physical tyre itself? I'm also up for replacement of my ATR in the not too distant future and these look they are just what the Doctor ordered!
    2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4

It is very new!!
    I don't think they have even sold a set at Supa Quick durbanville yet, They just got a few sets in that's lying upstairs in the store room... They have a lot better lower sidewall protection as you can see on the web as well.... I'm so very tempted to get a set...
    Well won't get a set now.. But since I need two spares I can always buy two now, as spares, and then at the end of the year I can buy two more...

From what I've read the people in the US are quite pleased with them during the tests, although they did state that they could only test them and not compare them... and for what it is worth they have a good snow rating of 3 snow flakes, whatever that might mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus80 View Post
    Willem did you actually see the physical tyre itself? I'm also up for replacement of my ATR in the not too distant future and these look they are just what the Doctor ordered!
    Jip, touched them, took them off the stack to see how they look standing up etc... they are there in real life....

I was set on the General grabber AT3 untill I saw them yesterday, en toe moer die appel kar om... I actually went to supa quick to ask Attie to order me two general Grabbers, and then he told me to first come upstairs and have a look at something new and different... Why do they always complicate things!

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    Jip, touched them, took them off the stack to see how they look standing up etc... they are there in real life....

I was set on the General grabber AT3 untill I saw them yesterday, en toe moer die appel kar om... I actually went to supa quick to ask Attie to order me two general Grabbers, and then he told me to first come upstairs and have a look at something new and different... Why do they always complicate things!

Price difference with Generals?
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Looks good I like my ATR's but have had two thorn punctures in the side walls, would like to see them beefed up in that area a bit better.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/22l8YHh

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: http://1drv.ms/1nNpJeM
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/2iH7jgG

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Nys

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus80 View Post
    Will you stick with 265/65s or would you ever consider going up to 265/70s?

The price is somewhat higher...
    265/65/17 +- R2400, whereas you can get the General Grabber AT3 for R2200. The old scorpion was always a bit more expensive.
    265/70/17 +- R2800 General Grabber AT3 around R2550

In the states they give a 80k km tread wear warrantee for this tyres...

Just spoke to Leon at Supa Quick to get the prices, he said they have this morning fitted 3 sets of them on Toyotas... People seems to like the new design and bit more aggressiveness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	033e0052-5b2b-47c6-9480-d82a5ed89c75.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	494077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f793ad72-b141-47fd-9baa-29008f34ca15.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	494078

These look very good. The General Grabber AT3 sidewall is very soft. I would not fit them again.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Note that on the ATRs you got in P spec and LT spec. I do not know if those options are on the Plus as well. This will influence the price and your needs.

The 65 profile is more popular on SUVs using P spec and hard-core tyres like muds are more popular in the 70 profile. Both are however a popular choice. It depends on your needs.

I noted recently that the Michelin AT prices have dropped like a rock and the Scorpions and the Michelins cost about the same now. I would be VERY hard pressed to choose between them if I had to buy now.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2018/07/04 at 01:55 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

hello all

I agree, it will be a tough choice between the Michelin's and the new AT's.

I have done about 9 000 km's on my ATR's on 2 door Wrangler, and am very happy re the tar and wet road grip, noise level, braking and wear especially as they seemed a soft tyre.

Sorry I dont want to 'steal the topic' but if anyone is going to throw off their ATR's LT version 265 70 17's, I am looking for one as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Maermuis View Post
    hello all

I agree, it will be a tough choice between the Michelin's and the new AT's.

I have done about 9 000 km's on my ATR's on 2 door Wrangler, and am very happy re the tar and wet road grip, noise level, braking and wear especially as they seemed a soft tyre.

Sorry I dont want to 'steal the topic' but if anyone is going to throw off their ATR's LT version 265 70 17's, I am looking for one as a spare.
    You will search long and hard for decent spares in that size. I have been looking for quite a few months and havenít found any yet.

Have been informed by HiQ in Durban that the Scorpion ATR Plus has been put on hold due to "balancing problems"....
    Anyone else aware of this??

You mean AT not ATR?
    Those blocks on the Plus are going to be noisy.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    You mean AT not ATR?
    Those blocks on the Plus are going to be noisy.
    If you read the test reports, not noisy.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Those tread blocks look like a kids game of Tetris...

They look better than the ATR's I reckon and doubt those blocks will be noisy at all.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on BFG KO2 265/65/18's or Achilles XMT's in 265/60/18 [Imvubu]

My opinion being in the tyre game: Go for something local.

Don't want to brand bash but consider Continental, Goodyear, Firestone, Dunlop, Falken (some made locally these days), General etc. Their service backup is excellent and you can read many a success story on this forum.

I've personally seen some (okay one) of the premium importers dance around (more than two months) until the customer gave up and paid for another set of tyres.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)