Hello, I'm a prospective ISUZU 2.8 DT owner. Or am I?

Default Hello, I'm a prospective ISUZU 2.8 DT owner. Or am I?

Evening ladies and gents! My name is Jaco Louw, I'm 23, and I am from Bellville / Langebaan WC.

I have recently started thinking of getting a bakkie, and after approximately 953 hours spent on trusty old Google, looking at all the options, weighing up all the factors and role players, I have come to a conclusion that an Isuzu KB 2.8 DT is the option that makes the most sense for me.

I come to you, hat in hand, to ask for advice. I shall list the questions below, and humbly wait for your reply.

1. Can I afford it? I am a junior writer in advertising, which in layman's terms means that I do not earn a whole lot. How expensive are these vehicles to maintain? Could they become a money pit? I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 that has done exactly that, and I can't have more of that.

2. Do I get the KB or the Frontier? Is it simply personal preference? Or is this a secretly loaded question?

3. When they say reliable, how reliable? When I was reading up on my KLR 650, as previously mentioned, okes were yelling (in American) about how bomb-bullet-mortier-proof they were. Well it wasn't. Can I trust a 16 odd year old bakkie to still do what is asked of it, and not explode? I understand that this depends greatly on the how the previous owner(s) treated it, but I'm talking about "as a rule".

4. Is this the wrong bakkie all-together The things I kept in mind while looking for the perfect bakkie to do regular town driving, halloep to Langebaan on the West Coast Road every weekend, with two labs in the back, at 120, maybe 130, whilst mischievous, is the following:

- Initial purchasing cost;
    - fuel consumption;
    - overall sexyness (Which in the KB 280 DT is over level 9000); and
    - reliability, and cost to repair when something goes pumpkin shaped.

I am not planning on doing crazy rugged off roading – maybe the odd hill or dune when I feel like it. I plan on meticulously maintaining it – a culture my KLR 650 taught me. I plan on being kind to the turbo (which I need a short course on) I don't need to beat the Honda Civics at the lights, I don't need to tow a bos-sleepwa and I don't need to cross the amazon, but I do need to keep moving, and it can't cost me a pancreas. I understand that every vehicle, new or old, does experience some sort of problem at some point in it's life, but I'm talking about making a habit of breaking down or bits failing.

So, is this work of art the bakkie for me?

I appreciate you taking the time to read through my cannon fodder, and I am grateful for every bit of feedback. Gooi hom English of Afrikaans.

Thanks in advance-
    Byvoorbaat dankie-

Jakes
    Last edited by JakesZA; 2018/07/03 at 07:36 PM.

Default Re: Hello, I'm a prospective ISUZU 2.8 DT owner. Or am I?

Hi. What is your budget

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Hi. What is your budget
    Hi Erwin! This is still very early stages, so I cannot give you a set figure, but I'm thinking around R70K - R90K (If the latter, it must really be worth it)

Have a look at other brands also. I had engine problems with both the 2.8dt I had. 1st one had to rebuild the engine at 120 000km but then it went to over 400 000km without a problem. Second one same story on 150 000km and then kept on overheating. Sold it on 320 000km. Other than that it was very nice bakkies

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Have a look at other brands also. I had engine problems with both the 2.8dt I had. 1st one had to rebuild the engine at 120 000km but then it went to over 400 000km without a problem. Second one same story on 150 000km and then kept on overheating. Sold it on 320 000km. Other than that it was very nice bakkies
    Thank you for your input!

I have owned many Isuzus of which two were the 2.8 DT models. Both were great vehicles, economical, spares and servicing costs were very reasonable and I found both to be very reliable. I would suggest that you only buy one with a full service history should you decide to buy a 2.8 which is very important when buying any diesel vehicle. Isuzu vehicles are also comfortable on both tar and gravel roads.

BMW X3 2.0D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Errol For This Useful Post:

You could also perhaps look at a later model like my 300Tdi and still stay in your budget.

Like any vehicle/brand/make out there, you will hear some horror stories...but I reckon that the 280s as a whole are extremely reliable if maintained correctly.

Cost wise, my van ŗeally only asks for regular services and tyres. That's it.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams