To use stop-start batteries in a caravan?

Default To use stop-start batteries in a caravan?

Battery choices are quit limited here, and the clever caravan manufacturer limit the height of the battery to 220mm max, higher and the poles will touch the cover, thus not many 100Ah batteries fits there . All these normal type leisure batteries are all higher than 220mm.

The only battery basically fits there, height wise, is a 658 (90Ah). Apart from from the 658AGM, with some deeper cycle properties, I can get, is these stop-start batteries (100Ah), same measurements and of course at a much better price, even better price than a normal light duty start battery. The salesman told me as long I dont discharge it below 11.5 Volts it will be fine!, which is quit low?!

Not using the caravan that often I thought to give one of these battery (ultra start) a go and see how it will performs? vs the AGM I used previously.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU's and a Prado

Default Re: To use stop-start batteries in a caravan?

What is a stop-start battery??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    What is a stop-start battery??
    I also did not know till yesterday. These vehicles that switch off at robots use a different battery then a normal start battery. The battery has some deep cycle properties and also more CCA's to coupe with long idle low charging and more often starting. Typical stop-start battery is a AGM or EFB battery.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU's and a Prado

I see....I thought the petrol ones just sprayed fuel into the cylinder to start
    FJC - Just Cruising

So far it charges quick enough from the solars, and the 90NL only draws it down to 12.5V after sunset till the morning. Ok its winter so it runs not that much, but the deep cycle I tested did not do good, it took the whole day to be fully charged and in the morning the volts were lower at 12.2
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/07/04 at 06:22 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU's and a Prado