Will sound deadening affect warranty at all? Does it add a lot of weight?

Default Will sound deadening affect warranty at all? Does it add a lot of weight?

Hi all

Most likely a stupid question but I have a question regarding warranty

I have a 2016 Nissan X-Trail and I'd like to do some sound deadening on the doors. That involves lining the inside of the doors with deadening mats, no major modifying of the car at all.

What I would like to know is if this somehow affects the warranty in any way? I strongly doubt it but would like to just check up on it first.

Also, does anyone know how much weight it would add roughly, if I did all 4 doors

Default Re: Will sound deadening affect warranty at all? Does it add a lot of weight?

I've done this twice before, added about 40kg of sound deadening to our family Venture in 1997, and about 30kg to an Etios in 2013, both vehicles were under warranty at the time. It went way past just the doors though, the interiors were completely stripped out and dense rubberised sound mats added to all bare metal surfaces. In both cases it made a very big difference to road noise, the Etios was especially much quieter on gravel.

If you're careful not break anything, and put everything back together properly (getting the roof lining of the Venture back in was a mission), the dealer will not be able to tell it's there unless they have to work in the area, and the stuff inside of a door panel is not something that usually needs attention. Unless you damage something...

As for how much weight it ads, the material should have the weight per m2 listed, work out how many m2 you need.

Why do you want to do this? Most doors already have a few bits of sound deadening stuck to the inside, adding some won't make a huge difference as the door is quite stiff.
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2018/06/30 at 12:33 PM.

Default Re: Will sound deadening affect warranty at all? Does it add a lot of weight?

Oh if you're using the rubberised stick on mats, forget about doing this in winter. It will just be brittle and the glue won't stick. You want to do this out in the sun on the hottest summer day. Yes you will sweat a lot, and swear a lot, it can become a mission

If proper sound deadening was a R30k option on a SUV I would tick that box every time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Why do you want to do this? Most doors already have a few bits of sound deadening stuck to the inside, adding some won't make a huge difference as the door is quite stiff.
    Thanks for your reply. There's a few rattles that begin to become prevalent in the doors once the volume gets higher. Also, I just upgraded the speakers so I've had a good look behind the door panels, it's all bare metal and quite a large cavity too. Having had a look at the inner bits of the door, sound deadening seems like a good idea. See the pic below

Nissan put a lot of work(or lack thereof) into saving as much weight as possible with the X-trail to help with performance, fuel consumption etc. Sound deadening seems like one area they decided to include in that weight saving plan... along with the stock speakers, which were absolute shite

Name:  2014-2018-Nissan-Rogue-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide-029.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  175.8 KB
    Last edited by Sean66; 2018/06/30 at 06:03 PM.

What material are you planning on using? My new Navara (2017 spec) has terrible sound insulating properties from the engine bay. I can also tell that there is no sound deadening in the roof as rain drops sound like explosives when they hit the roof.
    Danny

2018 Nissan Navara 2.3D LE Auto
    2009 BMW R1200 GSA
    2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D SWB

Did an aftermarket audio installation in Dec 18 - the guys installed a load of sound deadening in the front doors as well as behind the back seat. The difference is noticeable. Next will be the rear doors and roof... which will be done around march 19.

I am not sure about the weight though but really like the results so far.

Btw. I installed a set of Rockford Fosgate power series 6x9 splits as well as Rockford 10" shallow sub in custom enclosure. This is driven by RF R400-4D amp including some serious cabling. The sound is amazing. Still need to replace the rear door speakers which will be a pair of RF 6.75" coaxials that will be run off the deck for now. Later i will install an audison Bit10d dsp as well as mono amp to run sub and the coaxials will the be run off the current R400-4D
    Last edited by Dannyver; 2019/02/06 at 09:24 PM.
    Danny

2018 Nissan Navara 2.3D LE Auto
    2009 BMW R1200 GSA
    2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyver View Post
    Did an aftermarket audio installation in Dec 18 - the guys installed a load of sound deadening in the front doors as well as behind the back seat. The difference is noticeable. Next will be the rear doors and roof... which will be done around march 19. I am not sure about the weight though but really like the results so far.Btw. I installed a set of Rockford Fosgate power series 6x9 splits as well as Rockford 10" shallow sub in custom enclosure. This is driven by RF R400-4D amp including some serious cabling. The sound is amazing. Still need to replace the rear door speakers which will be a pair of RF 6.75" coaxials that will be run off the deck for now. Later i will install an audison Bit10d dsp as well as mono amp to run sub and the coaxials will the be run off the current R400-4D
    there are a few different products, some weigh more than others, but to do the whole car I would expect around 15-20kg weight increase.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension 8