Camp safety

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camp safety

Default Camp safety

8 of us are travelling to Mabua, Moremi and CKGR in Sept/Oct. Have done Moremi before and know what to expect there but not the other two camps. A bit nervous about big cats in the camps and wondering if anyone has used any form of barrier successfully (shade net or electric fence) to keep them away from the tents. We will be in 1 RTT and 3 ground tents with four vehicles. Any suggestions for camp safety will be appreciated. We are fastidious about keeping food and smelly things in the vehicles and not leaving anything around the camp at night.
    “Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.” -
W. C. Fields

Default Re: Camp safety

Quote Originally Posted by Gillied View Post
    8 of us are travelling to Mabua, Moremi and CKGR in Sept/Oct. Have done Moremi before and know what to expect there but not the other two camps. A bit nervous about big cats in the camps and wondering if anyone has used any form of barrier successfully (shade net or electric fence) to keep them away from the tents. We will be in 1 RTT and 3 ground tents with four vehicles. Any suggestions for camp safety will be appreciated. We are fastidious about keeping food and smelly things in the vehicles and not leaving anything around the camp at night.
    We tow an off road trailer, so always park at the above places in a U shape, i.e the cruiser a few meters away from the trailer with a green shade cloth between the two, making a U. We stay in the U with a large fire. When the fire goes down, everyone goes into their tents.

With a number of vehicles, make a lager and stay in the centre with a nice fire.

Default Camp safety

I do a similar setup. I made up two sets of shade cloth wind breakers of about 5 to 8 meters. With sharped broom sticks. This works as wind breaker and perfect for safety barrier. Works very well, very light and easy to roll up and pack. I used a goal net once as a barrier against money’s but took it down quickly as it would have caught an animal and caused big problems, not a good idea. Shade cloth wind barrier works the best. It also gives you more privacy and stops other campers walking through your camp site.
    Last edited by K-9; 2018/06/30 at 06:20 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Shade cloth barrier
    Use vehicles as a barrier
    Maybe don't braai at night......

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Shade cloth barrier
    Use vehicles as a barrier
    Maybe don't braai at night......
    You can use a long rope / strong string with bells attached every 300 - 500mm. Run this all round the camp site, about 500mm from ground level. If any wild animal hits this in the middle of the night, not only will the noise scare them off (hopefully), but it will also make you aware of "movement in the dark"

Showering can also be interesting

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Henk67 For This Useful Post:

You are not helping Henk Now they have to build a barrier walkway all the way to the ablutions as well

BTW, his front leg looks swollen and sore, did he limp?
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    You are not helping Henk Now they have to build a barrier walkway all the way to the ablutions as well

BTW, his front leg looks swollen and sore, did he limp?
    He had a slight limp but didn't seem too bothered by it , we had to keep a close eye on the lions whilst we took a shower and they chilled out in the shade of the A-frame :-)

Henk - You are brave!
    No ways would I shower.
    Those big cats can move like lightning!

I recommend a washcloth and basin right next to the 4x4 doors unlocked of course......

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

The cat you see is not the cat you have to worry about.

And the cat species that normally keep themselves hidden are the most dangerous species, not lions.

But I am OT.

@ the OP. Really, be vigilant, don't move around too much after dark or too far from the vehicles and relax. Zip tents up fully. Remember why we go to these unfenced sites.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/07/01 at 11:47 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I don't think I want to put that theory to the test just yet....

You are right of course.... recent attacks show the silent big cats - leopards - are the ones to try and keep a watch for
    and of course cunning hyenas ......

That shower area looks reasonable surrounded by open space
    but some of them have trees and bush close by!

I seem to have bad luck with showers - I was keeping watch for Swambo while she showered and a
    large snake - ice cold and velvet - sailed over my feet.
    She at least came to my rescue.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/07/01 at 12:13 PM.

Paul do what the Lions do.
    When SWAMBO showers you stand guard

Gillied, don't over do the campsite.
    Listen to the birds in the day. If something is wrong they could be an early warning for you.
    The Drongo normally goes mad if he sees a Lion nearby.
    The scrub robin go crazy if a snake is nearby.
    Getting to the showers can be a bit of an issue as the scrub/bush is causing issues with clear visibility to shower/toilet and back.
    Keep looking around every now and then.
    Use the shade/wind breakers as "walls" and for more protection use the vehicles.
    You have many eyes in your group we are normally only two people.
    Ground tent as a final safety measure we keep an airhorn, the one in a can (that is still in its wrapper )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3677.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	493716
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

16. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Camp safety

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    Paul do what the Lions do.
    When SWAMBO showers you stand guard

Gillied, don't over do the campsite.
    Listen to the birds in the day. If something is wrong they could be an early warning for you.
    The Drongo normally goes mad if he sees a Lion nearby.
    The scrub robin go crazy if a snake is nearby.
    Getting to the showers can be a bit of an issue as the scrub/bush is causing issues with clear visibility to shower/toilet and back.
    Keep looking around every now and then.
    Use the shade/wind breakers as "walls" and for more protection use the vehicles.
    You have many eyes in your group we are normally only two people.
    Ground tent as a final safety measure we keep an airhorn, the one in a can (that is still in its wrapper )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3677.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	493716
    I have just returned from the Kgalagadi. 4 vehicles and 4 couples. At Rooiputs we made a laager of sorts with wind breaks as fences. Fully expecting to see lions close by, as per above photos, but saw nothing in 6 days! Not even spoor. Were hopeful on the 1st morning when we heard some lions. Only visitors were jackals who were quite brazen. However were compensated with 3 adult cheetah on the 1st days drive. We enjoyed the trip immensly, saw many birds. Up at Polentswa the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillied View Post
    Some years ago, in April, we were with a group of about ten cars at Mabua, at the site with the A-frames and ablution block (forgot name), near the Monamodi Pan. There was a mix of rooftop and ground tents, no precautions like standing in laager, all stood wide apart. We stayed two nights. Second morning we came out of our ground tent, there was a fresh double lion spoor that passed about three meter in front of our tent (which had been zipped closed all night), regular steps, they clearly had not stopped but had walked straight on, right past us. Very eery feeling ! Nothing had happened but we were relieved that the travel plan was to carry on that day and not stay another night. I guess drawing a laager is a good idea for ground tents.
    geertdev

I would never discourage any one from using a ground tent in an unfenced camp. What I would discourage are those tents that have a lot of mesh or that are transparent when lit from the inside.

It has been said by many experts that animals will see tents as solid structures, I can only agree to this if the tents are a solid colour. Cats in particular have great night sight and a very keen sense of smell. As they are curious they will investigate movement and food smells. Hyena will sniff out anything and at Lesloago at our last visit we had four spotties that visited every night for 3 nights and stayed in camp one night from around 8pm until 7am the next morning.

Our neighbors across the pan came that morning and in a very heavy French accent said

"allo allo, are you guys OK up zere"

Yes thank you

Do you kneuw that you ave 4 yeuna in your cemp

yes, we invited them to stay as all the other sites were occupied by bloody tourists

They did not get it but Swambo rolled around the RTT laughing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	493798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	493799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3829.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	493800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3843.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	493801  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Do you also close a RTT entirely, or just close the mosquito net?

Use a 12 volt DC agricultural electric fence unit and a dozen stakes with insulators on top protruding 600mm above the ground. Knock in an earth spike and use flexible electric fencing braid to join up the insulators. Connect to a vehicle battery, have a Bells and sleep well.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Exton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Exton View Post
    Use a 12 volt DC agricultural electric fence unit and a dozen stakes with insulators on top protruding 600mm above the ground. Knock in an earth spike and use flexible electric fencing braid to join up the insulators. Connect to a vehicle battery, have a Bells and sleep well.
    Alan, I think these systems draw a heap of power. Definitely dual battery system required I would think?

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Alan, I think these systems draw a heap of power. Definitely dual battery system required I would think?
    Geez, I go to the bush with the hope of having animals in my campsite. With your fortifications, I may as well go camp in Gauteng.... sounds like a lot of work

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    Geez, I go to the bush with the hope of having animals in my campsite. With your fortifications, I may as well go camp in Gauteng.... sounds like a lot of work
    Do you think you are up to it, it is not Mabua or some tame place after all

There is a lot of wisdom in some of the replies. It is 100% accepted that animals see the canvas as a solid barrier.........as long as the canvas does not hit back or become transparent with a light from behind.
    A decent ripstop canvas like the Tentco range is the minimum I would stake my life on.
    The making of a lager or U shaped camp is very wise ensure that your rear is covered by shade netting behind between the tents and that the vehicle doors facing the camp is open if possible.

Camps like Mabua are tragedy waiting to happen in my book, you have too many people all wanting that special experience that feed the animals in an attempt to draw them closer. Cats like lion and leopard as well as hyena have completely lost their fear of humans and have come to associate them with food, it is not long before they make the discovery that we are slow and defenseless with a high fat content snacks.

It is better to walk to showers and such in pairs and having one of those air horns is a great deterrent.... only if you have it on you though.
    Never take any wild animals behavior lightly, if they are too close for comfort get out of that situation.
    Try not to move around after dark, predators like lion and leopard can often be mistaken as lazy and relaxed in daylight but believe me after dark they become your worst fear. Nighttime is when they hunt and you are on the menu, I made that mistake and almost paid the price.
    Cook before dark and have the dishes and cleanup done by dark, put all foodstuff and waste away.

That's the big stuff but don't forget, Southern Africa has 3 medically important scorpions all of the parabruthus family, they are GT scorpions that hunt actively and run around at a rate of knots, wear closed shoes at night even if it is hot or should I rather say especially if it is hot The thick tailed scorpions can put a serious damper on the whole group's holiday and believe me if one of the Parabruthus babies zap you you will never forget that holiday

Enjoy your trip and stay safe
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast