The truth about snowmaster - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The truth about snowmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Sure and this after only one day! 🤪
    Referring to specs and quality versus alternatives.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Referring to specs and quality versus alternatives.
    Doesnt come close to the Specs and QUALITY of the National Luna top Models

Quote Originally Posted by BomberH View Post
    I have an ice machine from Snomaster , it stopped working .......... I thought that was great service
    Huh? I have an Engle (for a decade) but it hasn't broken down - is that bad service?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Hodge View Post
    Huh? I have an Engle (for a decade) but it hasn't broken down - is that bad service?
    You should ask will engle repair it under guarantee or repair it at all if it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Peter you are wrong go check your specs again and their service back up. I am still waiting for a quote for a safari company that wanted 18 fridges. Bugged them for 3 weeks and then convinced my clieent to go for Sno Master and as a bonus they run twice as long on a battery
    For what it's worth the Nat Luna has 60mm insulation where the Sno Master has 70mm
    Last edited by hbannink; 2019/09/09 at 02:35 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Which National Luna under counter bar fridge are you referring to?
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
    My 5 year old Snomaster fridge ( out of guarantee) died on me in Kgalagadi last month. Compressor died leaving me with a quoted repair bill of R 4200.

I had a similar experience with them and they replaced my 2 year old single door 80L unit with a new 2 door 75l unit no charge, just the freight from JHB to PMB.
    Excellent people to deal with.

So I pleaded my case with Pierre of Snomaster not expecting much since I recently had a similar session with Defy who refused to repair a hob ( still under guarantee) because of insect infestation (which still baffle me).

I was very surprised to get a positive response from him the very next day. He graciously agreed to repair it under guarantee. (bearing in mind that the guarantee on this model is long gone)

This was a very pleasant surprise since these days not very many companies back their products, especially wan out of guarantee.
    Snomaster is certainly serious about their brand and customer service.

Well done Pierre & your team ! You have my support !

Does anyone maybe has a price/spec comparison between, say, Snomaster and National Luna models, say between 60 and 90 litres??

I may be in the marker for a bigger fridge - maybe. Although I miss my Weekender already while I'm saying this.

Must say, I'm impressed by all the good after sales stories from SM...........BUT yes, (with ALL due respect), at the end of the day I'm looking at reliable performance. If I'm assured that the SM is as good as the NL in these depertments, AND they have a good reputation for after sales service, I'll be hooked.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

The truth about Snomaster? LOL!

This post is quite hilarious in that Snomaster is a Chinese copy of National Luna, and their compressor is a Chinese copy of a Danfoss. It's also quite laughable that they developed a 12V compressor in 2000 when Snomaster only started business in 2004. In truth, their holding company (Baixue) copied the Danfoss, and then several years later they copied the design and function of the National Luna fridge.

What this post should say is that Snomaster is a good Chinese knock off of a great South Africa brand.
    Last edited by Wannabe Jeeper; 2019/09/09 at 09:05 AM.

I cannot say anything about the SnoMaster brand, so this is somewhat off-topic. But I have owned an Engel. Was expensive to buy, cost almost as much to fix when it broke the first time, and when it broke again, even the agent agreed that it is better to buy something else. And as for Danfoss, I bought a "made in RSA" wine fridge with a Danfoss compressor (was a big selling point). Well it also died, and fixing it would have cost more than the original price. Bought a Samsung replacement and that is still purring away with no issues after 10 years. So based on my own experience, Engel and Danfoss are to be avoided like the plague.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to roxenz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Jeeper View Post

This post is quite hilarious in that Snomaster is a Chinese copy of National Luna, and their compressor is a Chinese copy of a Danfoss. It's also quite laughable that they developed a 12V compressor in 2000 when Snomaster only started business in 2004. In truth, their holding company (Baixue) copied the Danfoss, and then several years later they copied the design and function of the National Luna fridge.

What this post should say is that Snomaster is a good Chinese knock off of a great South Africa brand.
    "Copies" are often better than the original - so no argument here.
    But I do not see the reason for this pissing competition. Buy that suits your taste and you pocket and be done with it. Eish!!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

So why would the claim that it is a NL copy have any relevance to this thread. The freedom to express an opinion about the brand and the success people have experienced with the product has no relevance to where it derived from.

I had a Snomaster Fridge and worked well. Then I had a NL and also worked well, however it was too big for my needs and I sold it. I then bought a 35L Waeco cheapie and that thing has been through the wars and still working very well. Will I buy a Snomaster again, sure why not. The one I had served me well.

As long as the brand, whichever one, has a good product followed by good service, then who cares where it comes from.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    "Copies" are often better than the original - so no argument here.
    But I do not see the reason for this pissing competition. Buy that suits your taste and you pocket and be done with it. Eish!!
    That is true, and they're also most often worse. But yes, you're 100% correct in that it's all a question of personal preference and budget, and I certainly won't mock anyone's choice. However, there are so many untruths around Snomaster's story, it makes the title quite ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Does anyone maybe has a price/spec comparison between, say, Snomaster and National Luna models, say between 60 and 90 litres??

I may be in the marker for a bigger fridge - maybe. Although I miss my Weekender already while I'm saying this.

Must say, I'm impressed by all the good after sales stories from SM...........BUT yes, (with ALL due respect), at the end of the day I'm looking at reliable performance. If I'm assured that the SM is as good as the NL in these depertments, AND they have a good reputation for after sales service, I'll be hooked.
    I think they're both pretty darn close to being the same.
    I have two Snomasters and very happy with the performance. The only reason I ended up with Snomaster versus the National Luna, is the price difference. If the prices were the same it would be a difficult choice for me - their performance and specs are very much alike.

I camped in 45C weather (with the fridge in the back of the bakkie) and it performed very well off the auxiliary battery.
    Snomaster has amazing service, should you require it. From being assisted out of guarantee, to getting free fixes if you say you're willing to pay.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

s long as the brand, whichever one, has a good product followed by good service, then who cares where it comes from.

Agreed. But ja, one (like myself) reads your own stuff, has your own idea of price/looks/reliability/use/etc etc, and sure, you decide yay or nay.

For instance, I'm definitely interested in SM's battry box - it has feautures that I want, that other brands do'nt.......it will work for ME.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    So why would the claim that it is a NL copy have any relevance to this thread. The freedom to express an opinion about the brand and the success people have experienced with the product has no relevance to where it derived from.

I had a Snomaster Fridge and worked well. Then I had a NL and also worked well, however it was too big for my needs and I sold it. I then bought a 35L Waeco cheapie and that thing has been through the wars and still working very well. Will I buy a Snomaster again, sure why not. The one I had served me well.

As long as the brand, whichever one, has a good product followed by good service, then who cares where it comes from.
    Because there are several subjective claims about Danfoss compressors that are unfounded and not based on anything. Otherwise known as: Opinion presented as fact.

Sometimes what counts more than the compressor is the way the condenser, fans etc are designed.
    I had a NL weekender and every time I had a long trip on rough roads the fan in the condenser would die.
    Most times the bearing went and the blades hit the condenser and broke off.
    After replacing the fan a number of times and attempting to prevent the blades from hitting the condenser by various means I gave up and sold the fridge
    I bought a second hand well used engel and have had no issues the last 7yrs
    Hilux 2700i 4x4 D/C

23. The Following User Says Thank You to WayneB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    s long as the brand, whichever one, has a good product followed by good service, then who cares where it comes from.

Agreed. But ja, one (like myself) reads your own stuff, has your own idea of price/looks/reliability/use/etc etc, and sure, you decide yay or nay.

For instance, I'm definitely interested in SM's battry box - it has feautures that I want, that other brands do'nt.......it will work for ME.
    I bought a SM box some years back for a 3rd battery, modified for my needs (got rid of the Hella plugs!), mounted a Solar Charger for the 2 x 80W panels. In due time a WRND 20A will be acquired to charge from the load-bin. The other battery is in the car for the fridge only, charging from my Ring DC-DC. Also a box I built myself.

Looks are the last thing I care about. Functionality is key, yet, I am not going to try and "sell" anyone my ideas or what I believe works, since everyone has their own ideas and requirements.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Jeeper View Post

I don't want to call BS but I will say you do not know what you are talking about. Yes they have copied the rectangular box design with top access and wire baskets and that is where the similarity stops. I am fortunate in that I have seen the two compressors side by side and believe me even a non tecnical person could see that there is no similarity between the two. On a technical side the new compressor draws half of the power and has more cooling power so not bad for a "copy". Sno Master used the Danfoss compressor for a long time even in their Campmaster range, yes Campmaster is Sno Master in economy trim. Having worked with and on Danfoss the designers had the experience to know where the issues of Danfoss were and avoided it in their new design. Danfoss was used in most other fridges because there were no real alternative products available. For what it's worth Danfoss is a Danish company

The leisure market is a small division of Sno Master, they have a lot to do in commercial and industrial cooling
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Ok accepting that what is said is correct, my question is does the Sno Master now operate in temps above 35 degC. My personal experience on a trip to the Kalahari with a son master is that it stopped working totally once the temp was above that. Once back on high veld in lower temps started working 100% again. I now have 2 Dometics, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Sure and this after only one day! 🤪
    If it is that good after one day it should, with a bit of luck, last another day!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast