Automatic gearbox advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Automatic gearbox advice

Hi community.

Recently, my beloved '02 Pajero auto decided she was going to have some gear box issues. Difficulty getting into D and R, and an unbelievably gut-wrenching grind when she did move. So no driving for me.

I've spoken to my mechanic and he says there's an issue with the planetary gear system - apparently quite a common issue with this box. I'm sure that it'll cost in the region of R30k.

Do I fix this, in the hope that I won't run into any problems? Or do I sell for probably a very small amount.

Any advice, condolences or comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Default Re: Automatic gearbox advice

Condolences, it depends what you are planning, do you want to keep it, or were you ready to replace it, cheaper to repair than buy another.
    Rather the devil you know than the devil you dont
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

What about a used spare from a scrapyard?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Are these boxes not available as recon units perhaps?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Sorry to hear but how is your ATF? Is the level correct? And the colour?
    If it is not bright red and smells a bit burnt, then for what it costs I would try a few drain and refill cycles first. I think you can get 4 to 5 litres of stuff out of that box just through the drain plug. Then top up the same amount that comes out. Cycle through the gears, then drive a few kms, then repeat a few times.

It will cost you about 15 or 20 litres of ATF but personally I would give it a go.

cheers

Fluid is grey/black and definitely has a bit of a burnt smell to it. I've heard that these boxes are notorious at bombing out at some stage in their lifetime. Been advised against buying a reconditioned box by a few people. Am still open to it if I can find the right one.

Have also considered converting to a manual, but I think that'll cost a pretty penny too!

Love the car so think I'll have to bite the bullet somehow.

Yes,now before you splash out on expensive repairs do the flush like I suggested.

If you do need a new gearbox, keep an eye on the ATF, check the colour regularly, do a drain and refill every 2 services. Those jap auto boxes last if looked after. Yours bombed out because you did not look after it.

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/06/29 at 10:00 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Also see whether the box has a filter and replace that with the ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Yours bombed out because you did not look after it.
    I must agree, Probably never seen an oil change let alone a new filter and a flush
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I must agree, Probably never seen an oil change let alone a new filter and a flush
    Er not sure how you two came to that conclusion. Perhaps consider things you say before making assumptions. Goes for REGULAR services. Had an oil change and flush a few thousand kms ago.

Trying to ask for solutions and advice here, not snide comments.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to matteo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by matteo View Post
    Fluid is grey/black and definitely has a bit of a burnt smell to it. I've heard that these boxes are notorious at bombing out at some stage in their lifetime. Been advised against buying a reconditioned box by a few people. Am still open to it if I can find the right one.

Have also considered converting to a manual, but I think that'll cost a pretty penny too!

Love the car so think I'll have to bite the bullet somehow.
    Er not sure how you two came to that conclusion. Perhaps consider things you say before making assumptions. Goes for REGULAR services. Had an oil change and flush a few thousand kms ago.

Why would the oil go grey/black in a few thousand km after being replaced?

You sure they used the correct oil?

I also vote for a few oil flushes, I have heard many times that can often solve issues with Japan gearboxes, definitely worth a try.

Also use Mitsu's oil, they have a habit of having their own stuff like their own coolant.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

My information is that auto boxes are very sensitive in respect of the specific oil they are meant to use. I paid dearly for a box where the non-franchise srevice outlet put an oil of their own choice in. For auto box oil changes I want to be 100% sure the appropriate oil is used.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

They're just making obvious conclusions, the condition of your oil does point towards lack of maintenance.

Very big clue is that it went wrong shortly after serviced. Could point to wrong fluid being used, which caused the clutch packs to self destruct and throw bits into the valve bodies and planetary gears. Once that happens fresh fluid won't help. It can't reverse physical damage.

On the right clean oil these boxes last practically forever, but the wrong oil will kill them just like the wrong blood type will kill a person. All ATF's are not equal, it's all about viscosity and shear qualities and a host of other very technical things.

Are you 100% the oil change and flush was done correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    They're just making obvious conclusions, the condition of your oil does point towards lack of maintenance.

Very big clue is that it went wrong shortly after serviced. Could point to wrong fluid being used, which caused the clutch packs to self destruct and throw bits into the valve bodies and planetary gears. Once that happens fresh fluid won't help. It can't reverse physical damage.

On the right clean oil these boxes last practically forever, but the wrong oil will kill them just like the wrong blood type will kill a person. All ATF's are not equal, it's all about viscosity and shear qualities and a host of other very technical things.

Are you 100% the oil change and flush was done correctly?

Yep, am totally sure. Completely trust my mechanic as they've done great work on a number of vehicles.

Bought the car second hand 2 years ago - something amiss there perhaps, or just bad luck.

I've looked after the car like it were a child, so no maintenance issues from my side.

If you have had the car for two years the most recent oil change would have been the first since in your custody. If your trustworthy mechanic did not fetch the oil from the Mitsu dealer I will no lomger doubt the cause of the disaster.

My Jeep did exactly the same for exactly the same reason. A non-franchise outlet changed the gearbox oil and the ultimate bill came to > R30000.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

I must agree with the common thread here: your mechanic probably used a generic ATF and not the Mitsu stuff.

As Poen says: if you don't use a MOPAR ATF on a Jeep, you soon have a big pile of broken metal instead of a gearbox. I assume (yes I know) that Mitsu has their own blend of friction modifiers and lubricants that are specific to the Aisin box they used.
    Percivamus

There's also the issue that we see on gearboxes with lifetime oil. In reality, lifetime turns out to be around 150k km and boxes start to fail after that.
    The BMW 330d uses a GM gearbox which GM also use in a number of their own products. BMW have a "lifetime" oil in it and the internet is full of reports of failures around the 200k mark. Googling the GM part number for the box reveals it's bulletproof. Guess what, GM has an oil change schedule.

Now back to the OP's box- old oil, whether lifetime or not- has depleted detergents and this causes the valve body, etc to varnish up with deposits. Like clogged arteries this is initially no big problem until a lump comes loose and kills you. New oil is full of detergents and will clean all this up, but sometimes this process will actually induce a failure that wouldn't have happened if the old oil was left in, by dislodging said lump.

So if PO neglected oil changes- either because the manufacturer said it was ok, or through not following recommended intervals- then the new oil, even if the correct oil was used and the job done 100%, could have caused the failure.
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    There's also the issue that we see on gearboxes with lifetime oil. In reality, lifetime turns out to be around 150k km and boxes start to fail after that.
    The BMW 330d uses a GM gearbox which GM also use in a number of their own products. BMW have a "lifetime" oil in it and the internet is full of reports of failures around the 200k mark. Googling the GM part number for the box reveals it's bulletproof. Guess what, GM has an oil change schedule.

Now back to the OP's box- old oil, whether lifetime or not- has depleted detergents and this causes the valve body, etc to varnish up with deposits. Like clogged arteries this is initially no big problem until a lump comes loose and kills you. New oil is full of detergents and will clean all this up, but sometimes this process will actually induce a failure that wouldn't have happened if the old oil was left in, by dislodging said lump.

So if PO neglected oil changes- either because the manufacturer said it was ok, or through not following recommended intervals- then the new oil, even if the correct oil was used and the job done 100%, could have caused the failure.

BMW uses ZF gear boxes made in Germany.
    The "lifetime oil fill" is true but I changed it around 100k by a reputable gearbox outfit in Bellville after I had issues with overheating and gears stuck when oil was to hot.

In the end I added an extra oil cooler (vehicle E39 540i) but it turned out the visco clutch was not working properly so tranny overheated through then higher engine coolant temperatures.

ZF boxes are also in Jeeps and possibly GM vehicles, cannot confirm that's the same.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast