Extended Warranties

Default Extended Warranties

I was considering taking out a 2 year extended warranty on a 2011 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 DCI with 160 000kms on the clock.

I've been advised against this by a service centre as they say these warranties typically don't cover much.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Cost of the warranty is R7100.

Default Re: Extended Warranties

Quote Originally Posted by dylanphelan View Post
    I was considering taking out a 2 year extended warranty on a 2011 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 DCI with 160 000kms on the clock.

I've been advised against this by a service centre as they say these warranties typically don't cover much.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Cost of the warranty is R7100.
    Check the terms and conditions and what the warranty covers. Normally there is a sliding scale....
    HOWIE-WP,
    RoadCar:2004 VW Golf4 GTi.:R
    OffRoad Car:1993 Land Rover Defender 110 V8
    "Settle for nothing less than the object of your desire"-Bjork

As above check T & C Also search around you will pay for a decent one.
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

The extended warranty on my Range Rover Vogue covers nearly everything except wear parts. The car is now 8 years old and has 130 000km's on the clock and is covered until April 2019.

The scales of cover at the time of taking out the policy is as follows:
    less than 8 years old and less than 150 000km's then 100% cover.
    more than 8 years but less than 10 years old and more than 150 000km's and less than 175 000km's then 75% cover.
    More than 10 years and more than 175 000km's then 50% cover.

Car must be serviced bi-annually at Land Rover Dealer.

This is with Innovation Group and the warrantee is bought through the F&I at any Land Rover Dealership, mine cost the previous owner R29 000 in April 2017, is payable once-off but is also transferable to a new owner if you so wish. If you decide to cancel the warrantee prematurely on trading in the car on another then they will refund you the pro-rata amount for the time not used.

I bought my car October 2017. My warrantee has to date covered around R125 000-00 costs in unscheduled repairs even though the car has a full maintenance record and was serviced and maintained by Land Rover themselves throughout its life. You think you buy a car in brilliant condition with all the right boxes ticked before signing, it can still break down and hit you solidly on your wallet.
    Johan De Graaf

2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Supercab
    2013 Range Rover evogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldtimer For This Useful Post:

I've heard many people getting great value from these aftermarket warranties, you just need to go in knowing what it covers, not with fanciful ideas that it will be like a factory warranty.

Some are clearly better than others so hopefully someone will reply who can recommend one. R7000 is peanuts, good value if it's a decent product, R7k will probably buy you one drive shaft if that from the agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The extended warranty on my Range Rover Vogue covers nearly everything except wear parts. The car is now 8 years old and has 130 000km's on the clock and is covered until April 2019.

more than 8 years but less than 10 years old and more than 150 000km's and less than 175 000km's then 75% cover.

This is with Innovation Group and the warrantee is bought through the F&I at any Land Rover Dealership, mine cost the previous owner R29 000 in April 2017, is payable once-off but is also transferable to a new owner if you so wish. If you decide to cancel the warrantee prematurely on trading in the car on another then they will refund you the pro-rata amount for the time not used.

I bought my car October 2017. My warrantee has to date covered around R125 000-00 costs in unscheduled repairs even though the car has a full maintenance record and was serviced and maintained by Land Rover themselves throughout its life. You think you buy a car in brilliant condition with all the right boxes ticked before signing, it can still break down and hit you solidly on your wallet.
    Our very own Doug DeMuro

Johan you've possibly cited the best example of how well a warranty can cover you
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    Weekend fun: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

In my opinion: I have bought 4 vehicles in the last 10year period, all 4 with an added warranty(aftermarket). All warranties was with different companies. Most warranties gets added to the finance agreement, thus your R7k + added interest over the finance period.

On all 4 vehicles I have needed to claim a part that was covered in the prescribed, and all fine print was read.

I have not had any success any claiming on any of the parts. The warranty company always have a loop reason not to pay out.

I will take the risk on my next vehicle purchase and not add a warranty.

But I on the other side, I have taken out an aftermarket service plan with great success and no issues when serviced at the agents.
    '08 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0TDi Track & Field
    '08 Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4d
    & Jurgens Camplite

Donít add it to your finance but pay it cash.
    I paid R6700 for my last warranty.... The gearbox of my JK started complaining after about 9000km after I bought it. R19000 later they paid up the bill and oversaw the whole process. I didnít pay a cent.
    Friend of mine who bought my WK I made sure to transfer my R7000 warranty over to him so I had piece of mind that should something happen he is covered.

I will never buy a pre owned vehicle I donít know the history of completely without taking an extended warranty.

Depending on the vehicle just one relatively major incident needs to happen and it will have more than paid for itself. If you donít claim in the period... well yeah then you are out R7k or whatever but Iíll rather pay that for piece of mind than save that plus having to fork out triple or quadruple the amount in the event something happens.

I again wonít take the extended service plans since you can never be sure where they cut corners to save themselves money.
    Last edited by Nox; 2018/06/27 at 09:42 PM.

Great post I'm considering buying an Range Rover Sport or Vogue 2015 model maintenance is always an worry to me with these big suv's

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Admin removed

I think advocates of warranties will have life insurances, debt shortfall, stone chip repair, income protector and all of those kinds of 'covers' and policies.The same applies to warranties, it falls in the same category, its a case of probabilities, you are either a personality that is fine with taking the risk or not.