Trip to Lesotho - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trip to Lesotho

Default Re: Trip to Lesotho

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Sorry for the hijack.

The loose radial arm bushings are a well known problem after fitting cup protectors. The bushings must be cinched down tightly otherwise the holes in the brackets become oval. The simplest is to have a washer between the protector and the bracket. Your protectors look like Zombie off-road. I am not sure what their solution for this problem is.

Flipside has described it well here. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...15#post2854815
    There are a number of discussions on the forum about this problem.
    Yea I have the washers done, Apparently the protectors have just seated, and it needed re-tightening. I hope I have not worn the bolt holes oval... How would one fix that?
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Zapnologica View Post
    Basically where you suggested.
    Sani Backpackers,
    Umbrella Guest Lodge ( ha LEJONE)
    Chalet in the skye x 2 (had some issues, owner has very bad communication with her Staff, got there to be told we must go away because it's fully booked)
    Afriski Backpackers.
    Then home.

Was really good. Look Lesotho is not fancy, so if you are not a 3 star and backpackers kinda people. Maybe think twice. But we really got to see the countryside and the amazing views.
    Yip, not the friendliest place in Lesotho, and I would'nt recommend it. I was talking about the 4x4 Campsite North of the Chalets. GREAT place.

There used to be a girl named "Anna" there, she was amazing, the whole place buzzed with her as manager. Sadly she got promoted to an admin job at the mine, so ja.

But you gonna lose some body parts during winter there. Although it has this small "hall" there, big enough to pitch a decent sized tent in - that might work.

But a MAGIC place, great 4x4 track down there, LOTS of river crossings, hot springs up in the mountains, etc etc.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

By the way, this 4x4 campsite is a SUPER place for a sort of club outing. Was there with the LCCSA guys a couple years ago, when still part of that gang.

Oh, did I understand it wrong? Where on google maps is the 4x4 campsite?

I thought some things where not adding up. Im gonna have to go back again and visit the 4x4 campsite.
    Last edited by Zapnologica; 2018/07/17 at 09:29 AM.
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

Oh, did I understand it wrong? Where on google maps is the 4x4 campsite?

I thought some things where not adding up. Im gonna have to go back again and visit the 4x4 campsite.
    Zap, it's the "northern" road from the mine. I'm dom with GPS stuff, will try look it up on Google Map.

Zap......you guys were here, at Marolaneng Lodge : 29.011958,28.943900

This is the Campsite ..........................................: 28.980599,28.925019

Search it exactly like that on Google Maps, remember the Comma.

I feel like S H I T E here man, could have given you more detail so that you could reach the campsite.......BUT must say, I would'nt recommend it this time of year with only one car, and minus 10 + would'nt be a joke.

You can reach the campsite from the Lodge, you have to criss cross the river about 5/6 times. VERY nice.

(edit) you must have come to a fork in the road just past the Mine. You turn left there - there is a closed gate there that the guards open for you. THATS the road going down to the campsite.

edit again............Zap, just for future reference : The Guy at the campsite's name is Frank. He's the caretaker there, and also your guide, taking you up to the hot springs - he leads you on a Basothu pony. Magic stuff.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2018/07/17 at 11:12 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Yea I have the washers done, Apparently the protectors have just seated, and it needed re-tightening. I hope I have not worn the bolt holes oval... How would one fix that?
    I have replied in the radial cup thread to no highjack this Lesotho thread.
    Sent from my iPhone

We had a splendid weekend in Lesotho and arrived home to a cooking hot 4 degrees in Pietermatitzburg .

Our thanks to Petri and others on this forum for assistance with route planning and accommodation recommendations. Thanks also to Lizette from Track4Africa in helping me get my Guide sorted out. Its a great product that worked like a charm but there are some changes around Rafolatsane and the Molumong village that had us guessing and there have been radical changes at the Koma-koma causeway. I would have loved to send them the changes but my GPS does not have the facility, sorry.

Some weekend pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Nice Report thanks Div!!

Yes something came up man, decided to go this weekend. Actually glad we did'nt come, LOTS of snow!!!

Hopefully the road will be open this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
    We had a splendid weekend in Lesotho and arrived home to a cooking hot 4 degrees in Pietermatitzburg .

Our thanks to Petri and others on this forum for assistance with route planning and accommodation recommendations. Thanks also to Lizette from Track4Africa in helping me get my Guide sorted out. Its a great product that worked like a charm but there are some changes around Rafolatsane and the Molumong village that had us guessing and there have been radical changes at the Koma-koma causeway. I would have loved to send them the changes but my GPS does not have the facility, sorry.

Some weekend pictures attached.
    Nice write up.

Seems you got lucky with the snow. All my off-roading was done before the snow, and all the snow driving was done on Tar. We drove from afriski to caledonspoort on Saturday morning, and there where so many cars struggling there. Quite a few turned back and headed back to SA. We where luckily traveling in the other direction so traffic was not bad. But was quite fun driving past happily in the little Jimny with many big heavy vehicles being stuck. It made no sense to me, I had Zero slip or sliding and Im running stock h/t tyres @ 1.6 Bar (we where fairly loaded, in Jimny terms). Just taught me how important weight is. The larger cars literally would just spin wheels on the ice and go absolutely no where. Was great fun and a good learning experience. I must say I did put it into 2H just to have some fun. 4H was just to easy.

I would love to go back and do some of the offroad mountain passes in the snow.
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapnologica For This Useful Post:

Nice write up.

Seems you got lucky with the snow. All my off-roading was done before the snow, and all the snow driving was done on Tar. We drove from afriski to caledonspoort on Saturday morning, and there where so many cars struggling there. Quite a few turned back and headed back to SA. We where luckily traveling in the other direction so traffic was not bad. But was quite fun driving past happily in the little Jimny with many big heavy vehicles being stuck. It made no sense to me, I had Zero slip or sliding and Im running stock h/t tyres @ 1.6 Bar (we where fairly loaded, in Jimny terms). Just taught me how important weight is. The larger cars literally would just spin wheels on the ice and go absolutely no where. Was great fun and a good learning experience. I must say I did put it into 2H just to have some fun. 4H was just to easy.

I would love to go back and do some of the offroad mountain passes in the snow.
    Worst part of the trip was the loooong queues on the SA side at border. Its a drive through on the Lesotho side but on our side you have to park and stand in a queue for a passport stamp. We stood at least an hour but by the time we left the queue was super long.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Hahaha great Write-up Diversions, I am glad you took the warning of the maps to heart...

Petri you are a few months to late with those coordinates, guess we will have to go back!
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Hahaha great Write-up Diversions, I am glad you took the warning of the maps to heart...

Petri you are a few months to late with those coordinates, guess we will have to go back!
    Gif - its a Vrystaat Thing

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Zap, by the way - the road from Ha Lejone to the A1 (gravel road) is more than accessible/doable in a 4x4.
    This is what the locals say about this road:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diversions; 2018/07/20 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Reattached the Motebong attachment
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

This is what the locals say about this road:

Attachment 495668
    Cannot seem to open the attachment? Planning a trip for sometime next year.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    Cannot seem to open the attachment?
    Please try again - hope its sorted out?
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Please try again - hope its sorted out?
    Thanks working now!