Trip to Lesotho

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Lesotho

Default Trip to Lesotho

Good day everyone.

I recently bought my self a nice little Suzuki Jimny. My reasoning for buying it was to make us go on more holiday trips around Southern Africa. So here goes our first one

The thinking is to enter Lesotho on July the 9th, and we need to be back in JHB by evening the 14th.

Now Lesothu seems rather small. (On google maps) but the roads are super windy and I can only imagine, that my already under powered, over loaded Jimny is going to lack some power at those altitudes.

Long as the short is I am looking for some advice on my route planning. It's to cold to camp during that time (we do not have the right equipment). So need log cabin type of setups. However I'm also looking to get some decent off-roading / over-landing done. nothing boring, and nothing super hectic that my GF will never want to come on holiday with me again. (We are going solo).

My Thinking so far:
    8 July (stay at folks place in Howick)
    9 July (Depart from howick @ 10am, and head up Sani Pass. And then spend the evening at Sani Pass Mountain Lodge)
    10 July Depart for Katse Dam,
    11 July ?
    12 July Roma Trading Post ?
    13 July Roma Trading Post ?
    14 July (Arrive home (jhb) Late afternoon / early evening)
    Factors to conciser:
    Jimny have very limited fuel range: (40L tank) ~400km probably less on bad roads / high altitude. I can maybe take an extra 2 Jerry cans. (I'm sure there is fuel in Lesotho?)

I am Looking forward to some advice.
    On places to stay, and how long. Maybe I must stay at Katse Dam 2 nights, and then move on else where, etc etc.

Maybe try fit in Maletsunyane Falls?
    However I cant seem to find a direct route from Katsedam to Malersunyane falls? (maybe someone knows a nice offroad track)
    Last edited by Zapnologica; 2018/06/26 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typos
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

Default Re: Trip to Lesotho

Hi, I'm not an expert just been doing a bit of reading as we planning 10days in Lesotho at the end of the year also in Jimnys.

It seems if you want to see the waterfall, it maybe better to enter at Qacha then a good road upto Semonkong. Then a days drive to Katse, explore around there then out through Sani?

You can also come in at Sani and drive down to Semonkong. There are some offroad routes, but may take more than a day.

I am sure there are more experienced persons who will comment.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Last edited by Diversions; 2018/06/27 at 07:52 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

As the guys mentioned check out the other threads, we also contemplated Katse to the falls but no heck it is a mission and a whole days drive so we decided against it with our limited time.

From this https://www.sleeping-out.co.za/md/Ro...ost-Lodge/9038

it would seem if you want to exit there maybe make it a home base and to day trips to the falls etc.

We went out at Fouriesburg and took the hectic pass Mafika lisiu from Katse dam. Hope it helps the more seasoned Lesotho guys commented a lot on the other threads so have a look.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    We went out at Fouriesburg and took the hectic pass Mafika lisiu from Katse dam. Hope it helps the more seasoned Lesotho guys commented a lot on the other threads so have a look.
    How hectic is the Mafika lisiu pass?

Is it offroad or Tar?

Can one not go from Katse Dam to Roma Via Marakabeis.

What other options do I have more north? From Katse dam towards Clarens?
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Zapnologica View Post
    How hectic is the Mafika lisiu pass? Not too bad, just steep

Is it offroad or Tar? Tar

Can one not go from Katse Dam to Roma Via Marakabeis. Yes, from Katse to Thaba Tseka on dirt, then rest of the route on tar

What other options do I have more north? From Katse dam towards Clarens?
    See my answers in red.

Don't be too tempted to do any off-roading in the middle of winter on your own. The tracks in Lesotho are often rough and if you are caught out by snow / ice you could be in a heap of trouble. Stick to the main routes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Jip Check Robh's answers, its just hectic steep tar, don't burn your brakes, don't stray of know tracks alone. We got seriously lost without a GPS and map, and took us half a day to find the dirt road from Katse to Sani they had in the Getaway.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

If I were you:

Day 1........Howick/Himeville/Sani Top. Maybe take a drive to Thaba Ntlenyana if you have time?? Stay at Sani Top

Day 2........Sani/Mokhotlong, then on to the A1 to Letseng Mine. There, turn right down to Senqu River, VERY nice 4x4 trail down there. lots of river crossings. You stay at the 4x4 campsite, where you can pitch a tent inside the "hall" there. Very basic camping, MAGIC stuff, you prolly wont wanna go anywhere from there.
    Just take note - the 4x4 campsite is the road north of Letseng, the southern road goes to a lodge. Google "chalets in the sky".
    Stay at 4x4 campsite.

Day 3.........You'll prolly stay at the campsite, and ask a guy to show you the route up the plateau......and the hot springs and old ruins. Just ask anyone there.

Day 4.........Back up the trail to the A1, and then you take the gravel route to Ha Lejone. VERY nice route. Stay at Motebong Lodge at Lejone.

Day 5..........From Lejone, drive the Katse tar road to Katse Lodge, from there take the Bokong - Thaba Tseka - Rafolotsane route, stay over at Sani Top again.

Day 6......Down sani to Howick.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

If you head back to Randburg on your last day??

Day 1..........as above

Day 2..........Sani to Katse via Bokong, I'd stay over at Ha Lejone, not Katse Lodge

Day 3..........Lejone gravel to Letseng, down to that 4x4 campsite

Day 4..........4x4 campsite, explore the area (and explore you will, believe me)

Day 5..........Back up to the A1, from there Afriski - Oxbow - Butha Buthe - Fouriesburg - Bethlehem - Frankfort - Villiers - N3 to GP

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    If you head back to Randburg on your last day??

Day 1..........as above

Day 2..........Sani to Katse via Bokong, I'd stay over at Ha Lejone, not Katse Lodge

Day 3..........Lejone gravel to Letseng, down to that 4x4 campsite

Day 4..........4x4 campsite, explore the area (and explore you will, believe me)

Day 5..........Back up to the A1, from there Afriski - Oxbow - Butha Buthe - Fouriesburg - Bethlehem - Frankfort - Villiers - N3 to GP
    @Petri Oosthuizen, Thank you very much. Your suggestions have been super helpful.

I need some assistance, I decided to split day 5 (trip home up) into two trips.

So I need somewhere to stay for 1 evening between Afriski and the Caledonspoort border. Any ideas?

Then will leave from there to JHB.
    Last edited by Zapnologica; 2018/06/29 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typos
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

@Petri Oosthuizen, Thank you very much. Your suggestions have been super helpful.

I need some assistance, I decided to split day 5 (trip home up) into two trips.

So I need somewhere to stay for 1 evening between Afriski and the Caledonspoort border. Any ideas?

Then will leave from there to JHB.
    Zap - why?? Afriski is about 2 and half hours (easy easy drive) to Caledonspoort.

LOTS of accommodation options in Fouriesburg area, if you really want something out of the ordinary Google www.fairviewestates.co.za

Speak to Corlia - house friends of ours, ask her for a good rate.

Spend some time there in the morning, and then drag yourself off to GP. You wo'nt want to leave. They farm with alpacas, the accommodation there is TOP NOTCH. Have a look at their website.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Zap, by the way - the road from Ha Lejone to the A1 (gravel road) is more than accessible/doable in a 4x4. We just returned from H a Lejone and I made some enquiries for you.

The Lefika Mosiu (??) whatsisname pass to Katse is all tar, by the way.

Maybe also useful - From Ha Lejone to Caledonspoort took us an easy 2 hours, with 5 people on board, Hilux was packed, and we towed a Quintrex aluminium boat behind us.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Zap, by the way - the road from Ha Lejone to the A1 (gravel road) is more than accessible/doable in a 4x4. We just returned from H a Lejone and I made some enquiries for you.

The Lefika Mosiu (??) whatsisname pass to Katse is all tar, by the way.

Maybe also useful - From Ha Lejone to Caledonspoort took us an easy 2 hours, with 5 people on board, Hilux was packed, and we towed a Quintrex aluminium boat behind us.
    Is the below route the correct route which you are suggesting?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lesotho trip.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	494147

Just want to check my bearings.

Starting at Sani pass, Then heading to LeJone (via Katse Dam)

Then from Lejone, of to challets in the sky?
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

With grateful thanks to @Petri Oosthuizen and others for all their help and suggestions we plan to travel from Sani to Clarens next week (via Katze) without any definite timeline but with our first night stopover at Molumong. Whilst we did plan to stay at Molumong Lodge (as recommended by Petri) by a twist of fate we ended up booked at Polihali Lodge for the night complete with dinner and breakfast. Our second night is booked at Motebong Lodge Ė itís a long hall from Molumong but Petri says itís doable in a day. After that, we will see how the trip unfolds. Keep you posted. The basic idea is shown on the attached map.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Diversions; 2018/07/05 at 08:58 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Quote Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
    With grateful thanks to @Petri Oosthuizen and others for all their help and suggestions we plan to travel from Sani to Clarens next week (via Katze) without any definite timeline but with our first night stopover at Molumong. Whilst we did plan to stay at Molumong Lodge (as recommended by Petri) by a twist of fate we ended up booked at Polihali Lodge for the night complete with dinner and breakfast. Our second night is booked at Motebong Lodge Ė itís a long hall from Molumong but Petri says itís doable in a day. After that, we will see how the trip unfolds. Keep you posted. The basic idea is shown on the attached map.

So Im just doing your trip backwards essentially.
    Suzuki Jimny 2015
    Ford Focus Mk1 2003

So Im just doing your trip backwards essentially.
    I think the difference is :

1 - We plan (unless advised by Petri otherwise) to travel via Thaba Tseka which is somewhat different to yor planned route and
    2 - We will be leaving the Jimny at home for this trip .
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

If I could choose:

1) Stay at Sani Top ............. Night 1.

2) Stay at Motebong Lodge at Ha Lejone.......Night 2. My opinion ?? I wont turn off towards Katse Lodge, I'd keep on straight and stay at Motebong.

3) From Motebong, the gravel road to Letseng Mines, and that 4x4 campsite..........Night 3. Drive to Letseng is easy, but just keep in mind that the 4x4 track down to the campsite will take time.

Do not take the Tlokoeng road, rather turn off just before Mokhotlong and go via Thaba Tseka.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Zap, search "Maloraneng campsite" on Google Maps, that's the place.

You'll see there are 2 roads from Letseng Mine, one the "southern" one, going down to chalets. You need to take the "northern" one.
    You;ll sommer see, the southern one is good, the other one is a 4x4 track.

Sorry man, I'm dom, dunno how to post a "pic" of Google maps here with the area I'm talking about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast