Police Clearance for Kazangula Ferry - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!

Exclamation Police Clearance for Kazangula Ferry - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!

Hi all,

We leave in 3 days and I have NO clear answer as to whether we need police clearance for Kazangula (from Bots to Zambia).

PLEASE can someone give me a definitive answer! Do I go to the trouble of getting a police clearance or just risk it without one??

Thanks!

Default Re: Police Clearance for Kazangula Ferry - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!

I presume you have a SA reg vehicle ?
    You need vehicle registration paper...if discounted with a bank permission to take vehicle outside SA borders.
    TIP completed at the boder is 100%.
    Were are you going once in Zambia.?
    If you planning on going to Sesheke and then futher North rather go Bots, Namibia, Katima then up North.

Enjoy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooi For This Useful Post:

I've never heard of one being asked for at Kazungula, only at Chirundu.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Thank you! I apologise, I should have been more specific!

The car is South African registered, paid off and in our name.

We are only going to Livingstone and then through Vic Falls to Zim, the home to JHB.

We went through Kazangula and Chirundu last September. We were only asked at Chirundu.

We went through Kazungula on 30.5. this year. Interpol clearance is routinely included at the process now. If you do not have the Police Clearance Slip I would definitely recommend to hire a fixer. They work with police and with the fixer standing on your side you will not have any troubles. Just do not give him any documents, let him to guide you through the process only. We were three vehicles, used one of the last ferries after 17:00 and hired one fixer for 100 ZMW for all vehicles. We were through at 18:14, probably the record time!!! During the process we had to hire another fixer to do some papers simultaneously as they were closing the offices at 18:00 and we would have to sleep there. Best 200 ZMW spent! I would also recommend buying the 3rd party insurance from Phoenix online. Their container was already closed in Kazungula, but with the payment proof we could go to Livingstone and arrange the insurance the next day in their office. As we took the fixers back to Livingstone in our vehicles, they showed us the Phoenix office there. For 147 ZMW we received 1 month + 6 days, exactly according our needs. Phoenix Insurance Livingstone office is at Falls Park Shopping Complex, -17.870544, 25.855804.

Quote Originally Posted by Christylou View Post
    Thank you! I apologise, I should have been more specific!

The car is South African registered, paid off and in our name.

We are only going to Livingstone and then through Vic Falls to Zim, the home to JHB.
    In this case I would not go through Kazungula and avoid the hassle there. I would recommend you to use easy Pandamantenga border to ZIM, travel to VF and have a base there. If you want to see falls from the zambian side too, I would walk over the bridge. The Livingstone town itself is not worth for visit, VF is far better.

Although I do love the vibe in Livingstone and Golden Leaf restaurant makes the best curry outside of India, I agree with schwott's suggestion above.

No way I will spend the time, hassle and cost of Kazangula ferry just to spend a day or two in Livingstone.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/06/20 at 09:25 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

We were not asked at kazangula but were asked on entering zim at lake Kariba. They also wanted the form as on the other post and not just the police printout.
    Last edited by bones; 2018/06/20 at 09:31 AM.
    Pieter

I went through Shesheke 3 weeks ago and they required the police clearance. I know of others who went without a clearance and had to pay huge cash amounts to get into Zim at Chirundu because tgey didnt gave the clearance. If you are planning to travel through Zim afterwards anyway, don't bother with driving into Zambia. Walk accros at Vic Falls and hire a taxi for $5 to go into Livingstone The ferry and Kazungula border is a bunfight. I wouldn't even bother with the slow road through the Panda border. Go into Zim at Kazungula. If you do go into Zambia by car, buy your 3rd party insurance online for K134 rather than the ripoff K480 they try and get you to pay at the border offices.

No requirement for clearance did the crossing a week ago - use this guy Felix and whatsup him in advance for a 100 kwatcha he got me through in 20 min

I usually do border crossing myself but not that one

+260 97 9557877 Felix

Bit confused - is this the form the customs need for proof of Police Clearance. Also how or where do you get it as police in Hout Bay Cape Town have no idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    We were not asked at kazangula but were asked on entering zim at lake Kariba. They also wanted the form as on the other post and not just the police printout.

I also do not. At watloo our test station where they do the clearance they only gave us a printout. But I assumed they would have a form like above for next time. So sorry do not know.
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by jhcolclough View Post
    Bit confused - is this the form the customs need for proof of Police Clearance. Also how or where do you get it as police in Hout Bay Cape Town have no idea. Thanks.
    As far as I know, you have to go to the police clearance workshop in Stikland. That's where I last did mine. Just make sure they don't get confused and give you an export permit, because then you'll have to re-register the vehicle on your return - that's what they first tried to issue me with, but luckily I spotted the mistake.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

I will be bringing my Irish registered vehicle from Sa into Namibia and then on to Zambia or Zimbabwe in November . The vehicle is registered in my name here in Ireland , has Carnet and is all legit . There’s no such thing as an Irish “Police Cerificate “ . I have the original registration papers and they are in my name and show me as the legal owner . Will I need to produce a PC if asked or is it a practice for southern African vehicles only ? Will my original Irish documentation suffice perhaps assisted with a little local “fixing “ ?
    any advice much appreciated

The carnet will be fine, plus reg papers - the Interpol check is specifically for South African vehicles because of the huge number of vehicles stolen here and smuggled north.
    Tony Weaver