ARB TPMS - product test

Default ARB TPMS - product test

2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: ARB TPMS - product test

Very interesting - has put me off these completely. But I don't have any experience with this type of TPM; would be curious to hear from other members who have.
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my five-year-old

www.andrewsalomon.com

It was funny to see him so angry

But seriously, at the start of 2017 I bought a similar system on Ebay for R1000 and all my friends said I'm just wasting my money. I preferred the external system so I could move it between two cars. I used it for about 20000km last year and that included about 2000km of gravel roads in Namibia.

During that time I got 3 punctures, one being a sidewall cut that lost all the pressure in a few seconds, in Namibia about 5km's from Canyon Roadhouse. It probably saved our lives that day as I was doing close to 100km/h in a platkar on gravel. The alarm sounded, I slowed down and as I came to a stop the tyre was flat but still intact.

The monitor was stolen with a bunch of tools from my garage in Feb, because I removed it from the one car to move it to the other a few days later. I then ordered another one on Ebay and that one will do its duties in Namibia next weekend. I'm so used to being able to keep an eye on my tyre pressures and temps, I don't want to go without it. It is also quite accurate, in the morning the tyre temp is the same as the car outside temp and the pressure is the same within 0.1bar of my tyre gauge.

The inflate annoyance is not really an issue for me on a platkar, but on a 4x4 where I regularly adjust pressures, it could become a pain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

I have been using the similar Tireguard system for years and its saved my tyres about 6 times.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cecilh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barto View Post

But seriously, at the start of 2017 I bought a similar system on Ebay for R1000 and all my friends said I'm just wasting my money. I preferred the external system so I could move it between two cars. I used it for about 20000km last year and that included about 2000km of gravel roads in Namibia.

During that time I got 3 punctures, one being a sidewall cut that lost all the pressure in a few seconds, in Namibia about 5km's from Canyon Roadhouse. It probably saved our lives that day as I was doing close to 100km/h in a platkar on gravel. The alarm sounded, I slowed down and as I came to a stop the tyre was flat but still intact.

The monitor was stolen with a bunch of tools from my garage in Feb, because I removed it from the one car to move it to the other a few days later. I then ordered another one on Ebay and that one will do its duties in Namibia next weekend. I'm so used to being able to keep an eye on my tyre pressures and temps, I don't want to go without it. It is also quite accurate, in the morning the tyre temp is the same as the car outside temp and the pressure is the same within 0.1bar of my tyre gauge.

The inflate annoyance is not really an issue for me on a platkar, but on a 4x4 where I regularly adjust pressures, it could become a pain.
    Stuur asb. link na ebay se site met daai TPMS wat jy het.
    Sent from my iPhone

I giggled so much when he was stripping his m03r but i had to agree with him, it frustrated me just watching the video.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX
    99 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.5 V6 Blister
    11 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDi 4Motion D/C
    10 BMW 135i ///M (platkar)
    Bush Pig Off-road Trailer
    Ex: 11 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D/C 4X4
    Ex: 08 Mazda BT50 Crdi D/C 4X4
    Ex: 06 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C 4X4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoP For This Useful Post:

It is all possible, even with all his experience, that Andrew may have had trouble setting up or understanding the instructions: he is human after all.

The below link clearly states a difference to what Andrew said in his review summary.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...system-review/

" Unlike most factory TPMS systems, the ARB unit can be adjusted for optimal pressure, high pressure, and low pressure. An alarm activates if the tires deviate from the preprogrammed pressures. Also, each tire can be set for a different air pressure if desired or required, such as varying front and rear air pressures to compensate for cargo."

I am guessing he may not have had his monitor set correctly for one of the pressure programs, or had his tyre thresholds incorrectly set.

2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD
    2" Zone Coil lift, BDS shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola Cargo Carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac Manufacturing front bumper.
    BMW E92 M3 V8 DYNAMIC - Life begins at 240km!
    BMW E46 318i M SPORTPACK - Old faithful daily drive

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Stuur asb. link na ebay se site met daai TPMS wat jy het.
    This is the closest one to the one I have.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-TP...QAAOSwVlVaBV86

There are options on Ebay, but I didn't go for them for the following reasons.

-Internal sensors - I chose the external sensors since it is a platkar that I don't deflate often and I can move it between two cars in less than 5 minutes.
    -Solar monitor - I've had issues with cheap solar powered stuff bought off Ebay, so I didn't want to risk it and prefer cable power.
    -Direct plug into lighter plug(like the ARB) - My lighter sits between the seats, so I won't be able to keep an eye on the display, but most of the time while traveling I use a lighter plug and USB multi-plug that sits in the passenger foot well, and I then I have no chance of seeing the display.
    -Mobile phone units - They are even cheaper, but I prefer the screen mounted in clear eye sight at all times and not rely on an app on my phone.

Choose the one that works best for you, what works for me doesn't always work for someone else.

This is the closest one to the one I have.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-TP...QAAOSwVlVaBV86

There are options on Ebay, but I didn't go for them for the following reasons.

-Internal sensors - I chose the external sensors since it is a platkar that I don't deflate often and I can move it between two cars in less than 5 minutes.
    -Solar monitor - I've had issues with cheap solar powered stuff bought off Ebay, so I didn't want to risk it and prefer cable power.
    -Direct plug into lighter plug(like the ARB) - My lighter sits between the seats, so I won't be able to keep an eye on the display, but most of the time while traveling I use a lighter plug and USB multi-plug that sits in the passenger foot well, and I then I have no chance of seeing the display.
    -Mobile phone units - They are even cheaper, but I prefer the screen mounted in clear eye sight at all times and not rely on an app on my phone.

Choose the one that works best for you, what works for me doesn't always work for someone else.
    Dankie.
    Sent from my iPhone