My offroad "Bos Pandok" caravan built - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: My offroad "Bos Pandok" caravan built

Quote Originally Posted by Et1Zook View Post
    Refernce to : http://www.nrcs.org.za/siteimgs/vc/VC8026.pdf. There is no definition in the above regulation that pertains to description.

From the regulation:"
    2.8 modelmanufacturer's description for a series of vehicle designs that do not differ in respect of axleconfiguration, trailer configuration, coupling device, and braking system, or in respect of the vehiclecategory by which they are introduced to South Africa by a specific sourceThe Regulatory Authority reserves the right to decide on which variations or combinations ofvariation constitute a new model, and may also take cognisance to the classification system appliedin the country of origin of the design"

Most light trailers with lids are classified as Koker Bak/ Box body and seems to be due to the lid that can be removed?
    I will ask some guys in the industry that i know that may shed better light on various definitions......
    I did find that NRCS document as well on the net, hence the question.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

I cant see you having any issues with the box body description. As long as weights etc are all adhered to you should be good to go. Even on the weight, that would only be an issue by a weigh bridge, which does not happen that often

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozosborne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by discoeast View Post
    I did find that NRCS document as well on the net, hence the question.
    Chatting to one of the Custom Trailer Manufacturers today, he confirmed that there is no regulation that defines the type of trailers by the NRCS. As he explained, there are various categories of Light Load Vehicles. Under these categories there are again various descriptions that can be applied. As manufacturer they are required to build a trailer then take it to the NRCS who will homologate the trailer for use on a public road. A model number is created with the description and is then introduced on the Natis system.

SO, you can get a flat deck trailer with an elevating platform which means it has boxes that can be removed or you get a box body (luggage trailer with lid) or Van body where the roof is solid but you have side access doors.

Just out of interest, I checked the description of my Jimny on the Natis document...... Station Wagon

As he said, "it is a very gray area and open to interpretation. Go figure

So back to Disa and his build - Give that man a Bells!! respect!

Started working on the interior. Building a sinkunit and the side kitchen. Useing 30mm x 40mm battens foe frame. Desided to useaome excess laminate floorboards forfloor and walls. The front is a canvas material with zipper openings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180611_141603.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	492591

Name:	20180611_141609.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	492592

Name:	20180621_180819.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	492593
    '16 BMW X5 3.0D X-drive
    '01 Pajero 3.2DiD LWB
    '92 Kawasaki ZX10 B2
    '10 BMW F800 ST
    '09 Honda 125 NXR

Thumbs up Re: My offroad "Bos Pandok" caravan built

Thanks for all you help and info on the. "Kokerbak" issue. I followed tbe links and I dont see a problem. Will use as such and see what will hapen....
    '16 BMW X5 3.0D X-drive
    '01 Pajero 3.2DiD LWB
    '92 Kawasaki ZX10 B2
    '10 BMW F800 ST
    '09 Honda 125 NXR

Does anyone have an idea where in Capetown I can get the aluminium strips you use to feed your tent in with piping seem to join tent to caravan...
    '16 BMW X5 3.0D X-drive
    '01 Pajero 3.2DiD LWB
    '92 Kawasaki ZX10 B2
    '10 BMW F800 ST
    '09 Honda 125 NXR

Quote Originally Posted by Disa View Post
    Does anyone have an idea where in Capetown I can get the aluminium strips you use to feed your tent in with piping seem to join tent to caravan...
    Conways 021 528 1100 24 Montague Dr, Montague Gardens has it. I looked at it there two week ago

Does anyone have experiance or now the road forward with regestration. As I am building the caravan on an allready registeted "Kokerbak" trailer.... can I use it as is?
    Ja , just use it as is. Its a mission to go and reweigh it and redo the paperwork. Nice job , good luck.

I just want to say that your axle position does not look right. If you leave it as is then obviously you will have too much weight on your tow hitch. The formula I always used is: for every 1 foot of square lenth of loading space you must put the axle 1 inch behind the centerline. For example, 6 feet length. 6 inches behind center. Your A- frame must be exactly half of the square lenth. ie: in this case, 3 feet. I hope this makes sense.

Wow, thats amazing. Fantastic job. Just my 2c worth of thoughts on the issue of the TYPE of trailer - as a private individual I have never experienced anyone checking that. They just check the licence is up to date and that all the lights work. If they are really out to get a bribe they might mention weights... In any event, the application of some humble pie and a few tins of coke I keep in the car has always sorted that out. Having said all of that - if it IS a pop-top then surely it was still classify as a "kokerbak" because they is no rigid roof structure providing structural support ? I mean the pop-top is essentially just a lid to keep the weather out...

Default Re: My offroad caravan built "Bos Pandok"

My set-up. tested and working fine. no issues during my first camping trip at Kambati.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180922_112631.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	520242
    '16 BMW X5 3.0D X-drive
    '01 Pajero 3.2DiD LWB
    '92 Kawasaki ZX10 B2
    '10 BMW F800 ST
    '09 Honda 125 NXR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Disa For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have experiance or now the road forward with regestration. As I am building the caravan on an allready registeted "Kokerbak" trailer.... can I use it as is?
    Dont know if you got it registered yet. Kokerbak means the load or bin are bolt to the chassey if i understand it correct.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3