Alternative route Bloemfontein to Malelane

Default Alternative route Bloemfontein to Malelane

Me and Swambo will be traveling from Bloemfontein to Berg en Dal in Kruger in my platkar on Monday. I am thinking of taking the following route:
    Bloemfontein, Senekal, Bethlehem, Warden, Vrede, Standerton, Ermelo, Chrissiesmeer, Carolina, Baberton to Malelane.
    Any information on the road conditions will be appreciated.
    2003 Disco II GS V8 Auto
    2000 Disco II GS td5 Man "Groenie" Sold
    2004 Disco II GS td5 Man "White Lady" No more
    2000 Disco II XS td5 Auto Sold

Default Re: Alternative route Bloemfontein to Malelane

AFAIK those Mpumalanga Highveld roads are still deteriorated and/or in a state of repair with stop/go's. But I'm not sure of the current state. From Bloem I always drive the R30 over Brandfort, Theunissen and skirting the eastern side of Welkom to join with the R34 highway (double all the way to Kroonstad). Then N1 north to N12 (Southern Bypass), staying on the N12 until it joins with the N4 at Witbank. Then N4 all the way to Malelane, but I always take Schoemanskloof as there are far fewer trucks and IMHO more scenic than the N4 over Ngodwana. Yes, the toll gates are horrific, but you'll get to Malelane surprisingly fast this way; we did it last year. I for one can't stand being stuck behind trucks on narrow, potholed roads... If you decide to take my option, make sure you get through Gauteng between 09:00 and 13:00 to avoid traffic jams. Alternatively, please report back on the condition of your planned route. Here's my suggestion:
    https://goo.gl/maps/D75v976wEm52
    Last edited by Jens78; 2018/06/15 at 02:54 PM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Bloemfontein to Meyerton on N3/R59 (Turn off just after the toll gate), Meyerton to Heidelberg on R551/R42, Heidelberg to Delmas via Nigel on R42. Turn onto N17 where it intersects before Delmas. Stay on N17 to Bethal. Take R38 to Hendrina and then on to Carolina. T junction left onto R36 just before Carolina. Carolina to Baberton via Badplaas on R38. Baberton to Kaapmuiden on R38. Kaapmuiden to Malelane on N4.

The road in Bethal is bad. Aprox 2km.

The last 10km of the R38 before Kaapmuiden is bad.

The rest of the road is good.

Saving on toll fees ( There are 2 toll gates on N17)

Scenic drive between Carolina and Baberton.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Ma...29.1181745!3e0
    Last edited by The Condor; 2018/06/15 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    AFAIK those Mpumalanga Highveld roads are still deteriorated and/or in a state of repair with stop/go's. But I'm not sure of the current state. From Bloem I always drive the R30 over Brandfort, Theunissen and skirting the eastern side of Welkom to join with the R34 highway (double all the way to Kroonstad). Then N1 north to N12 (Southern Bypass), staying on the N12 until it joins with the N4 at Witbank. Then N4 all the way to Malelane, but I always take Schoemanskloof as there are far fewer trucks and IMHO more scenic than the N4 over Ngodwana. Yes, the toll gates are horrific, but you'll get to Malelane surprisingly fast this way; we did it last year. I for one can't stand being stuck behind trucks on narrow, potholed roads... If you decide to take my option, make sure you get through Gauteng between 09:00 and 13:00 to avoid traffic jams. Alternatively, please report back on the condition of your planned route. Here's my suggestion:
    https://goo.gl/maps/D75v976wEm52
    Thanks Jens, that is my usual route. I was looking for a different one this time but if the highveld roads are to bad I will stick to this.
    2003 Disco II GS V8 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by The Condor View Post
    Bloemfontein to Meyerton on N3/R59 (Turn off just after the toll gate), Meyerton to Heidelberg on R551/R42, Heidelberg to Delmas via Nigel on R42. Turn onto N17 where it intersects before Delmas. Stay on N17 to Bethal. Take R38 to Hendrina and then on to Carolina. T junction left onto R36 just before Carolina. Carolina to Baberton via Badplaas on R38. Baberton to Kaapmuiden on R38. Kaapmuiden to Malelane on N4.

The road in Bethal is bad. Aprox 2km.

The last 10km of the R38 before Kaapmuiden is bad.

The rest of the road is good.

Saving on toll fees ( There are 2 toll gates on N17)

Scenic drive between Carolina and Baberton.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Ma...29.1181745!3e0
    Thanks Condor, I am driving my bmw platkar which becomes very uncomfortable on uneven and potholed roads and would rather avoid them.
    2003 Disco II GS V8 Auto

Not sure about the entire route, but Ermelo through to Malelane is fine, you won't have any problems in your BM platkar
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Resurrecting a year-old thread.

Is this still the standing advice? I.e. From Bloem, rather going via Jo'burg enroute to Malelane, than to cut a more direct route? I'll have a gatvol 2 year old in the car, so I'm looking for the fastest/safest route. I'll worry about scenery some other time.

Anyone who's recently driven this route?

In my opinion the fastest will be Bloem to JHB and down the N4 to Nelspruit. Any other route may well be shorter, but ore/coal trucks and pot holes will slow you down.
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/06/17 at 07:47 AM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

N1 / N12 via Benoni then joining the N4 near Witbank.

It is the quickest and easiest route by far. Just plan the timing through the Jhb area specifically for traffic purposes
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....