Wino's... What are they smoking?? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Wino's... What are they smoking??

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    What I do know for sure is that bad red wine, osbloed, gives a much better headache than a smooth red Merlot
    Without a doubt!! But.... some of that bad red osbloed gets sold with the same BS embellished descriptions as the good stuff.

I have no difficulty in tasting the basic essence, or character, or whatever, of a nice smooth easy drinking wine... but I battle like hell to taste all those 'juicy ripe mulberries' or 'toasted vanilla pods' or 'sundried bananas' or 'summertime sweetpotatoes'.
    Andrť Opperman
    We live in an age of false history and bold lies told by artful political entrepreneurs to a younger generation that cannot be motivated to learn and understand its own history. - Songezo Zibi.

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    I've been wondering about this for some time... but last night I was making some Gluwein and saw this on the label:

'abundance of mixed berry fruit, particularly juicy strawberry and mulberry, joined by a hint of spices and herbs,underscored by... a touch of dried bananas'

Now, I know this was just dooswyn (albeit the same reputable wine sold in bottles), but similar kinda crap (imnsho) is used to describe and sell expensive wine too.

I might be such a pleb, but I've never tasted any of the stuff they describe... and I've been drinking wine for longer than I care to remember. In my household it's a staple food.

What are these okes smoking??

Attached a sample of the official wine judging aroma wheel. The dudes with the golden noses must be able to distinguish between each of these - and they can - especially for identification at blind tastings.

It is actually a talent - if you are not born with a sense of smell orders better than the average person, you cannot learn it.

Some say..... their noses are so sensitive, that a fart counts as a suicide attempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JJJ; 2018/06/15 at 02:03 PM.
    Johnie

LR2 i6
    171kW/317Nm/11.79l/100km over
    6yr 9mth/153361km

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    When I saw the heading I thought it was a thread discussing D3 owners experiences..

but then saw it was about poor quality stuff in an expensively disguised package.
    Take a bow Sir, post of the week.
    We Live in a world where social media is overriding professional journalism and scientific research as our source of information about the world around us.
    Garth Owen-Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Attached a sample of the official wine judging aroma wheel. The dudes with the golden noses must be able to distinguish between each of these - and they can - especially for identification at blind tastings.

It is actually a talent - if you are not born with a sense of smell orders better than the average person, you cannot learn it.

Some say..... their noses are so sensitive, that a fart counts as a suicide attempt.
    I see your wheel and I raise my own

Last edited by jelo; 2018/06/15 at 02:24 PM. Reason: bloody image
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post

I will agree that there are definitely finer noses than mine, just as some blind folks can hear false notes on a piano a lot better than I can. But, the complexities that they describe seems positively far fetched. My opinion only... but one I will stand by.

BTW, I also have a wheel like that. It's got two halves, but they blend into each other. There's no definite lines between the two halves... And the two halves are merely named 'enjoyable' and 'not enjoyable.

See, told you I'm a pleb.
    Andrť Opperman
    We live in an age of false history and bold lies told by artful political entrepreneurs to a younger generation that cannot be motivated to learn and understand its own history. - Songezo Zibi.

Default Wino's... What are they smoking??

I generally drink dry red wine. There only two types...those I like and those I donít. Trouble is I never remember which is which so when I buy it, itís always a bit of a lottery.
    Last edited by Imvubu; 2018/06/15 at 05:23 PM.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2001 Land Rover Defender 130 TD5 D/C with everything

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    I generally drink dry red wine. There only two types...those I like and those I donít. Trouble is I never remember which is which so when I buy it, itís always a bit of a lottery.
    Aaaaah, so you have the same taste wheel I have...

Andrť Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    OK I see some people getting irate about some jocular remarks about wine and are getting personal.

So I'm out of here. You guys need to grow up. Really.
    Typical seagull visit - make a lot of noise, #### everywhere on everything and then flies off when the heat comes on!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Typical seagull visit - make a lot of noise, #### everywhere on everything and then flies off when the heat comes on!
    one may choose who to drink with in a pub
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    I will agree that there are definitely finer noses than mine, just as some blind folks can hear false notes on a piano a lot better than I can. But, the complexities that they describe seems positively far fetched. My opinion only... but one I will stand by.

BTW, I also have a wheel like that. It's got two halves, but they blend into each other. There's no definite lines between the two halves... And the two halves are merely named 'enjoyable' and 'not enjoyable.

See, told you I'm a pleb.
    There are people who can tell by taste

american oak vs french oak
    Barrel vs staves vs "teabags of wood shavings"
    Barrel toast from mild through medium through heavy toast
    a barrel get used 3 times for wine and taste can tell whether the wine was in first , second or third fill barrels

I think it is possible that once the flavours are highlighted in a controlled tasting things get clearer

If one has never tasted a plum one is not able to know what to look for in a taste

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maartendeneef For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6