What’s the easiest small, cheap, used car to sell on? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: What’s the easiest small, cheap, used car to sell on?

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I like the "etc" part. These days a "pool" car for the boss, a company credit card for the boss (all household foodstuffs and the likes, eat-outs for the family and moms car's fuel and maintenance, the garden and household staff being on the company pay roll. Man, it gets better and better. How does the eleventh commandment read? Thou shalt not be found out!

Just joking.
    - a "pool" car for the boss - It is bad for the stock not to run occasionally
    - all household foodstuffs - This isnt a government credit card, you know. The workshop does need beer and chips tho
    - eat-outs - this is called entertainment. A lot of business happen in restaurants and golf courses
    - fuel and maintenance - If mom gets seconded to pick up parts, she needs reliable transport
    - garden and household staff - They better wash the stock and vacuum the office once a week. They are still a UIF nightmare. Children are much better staff.

eleventh commandment - This all goes thru the books and accountant and SARS. You cannot spend more on beer than on buying stock (cars). You have to be sensible. You are in a happy place when your nett income is around R0.00 annually.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2018/06/14 at 05:03 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Wow. Thank you all for the comments! I’ll need to properly read through all of them again when I have some time later.

The comments on how and where to buy, and the purchase price is the making point - that’s definitely the biggest thing for me. After a brief search on gumtree I get the idea that every citi for sale there is being sold by someone trying to make a buck out of it. So it seems I need to get cleverer than just gumtree.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    nope, WeSellCars are dealers and have avoided the CPA
    The Consumer Protection Act, implemented in April 2008, has disrupted the process of used motor vehicle industry.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65)]Under the CPA, even though dealerships may disclose a motor vehicle’s faults, car dealers are no longer allowed to sell a car ‘voetstoets’. However, in terms of selling a car privately, whether online or not, motor vehicles may be sold ‘voetstoets’. But, the car’s defects must be provided and the car buyer is obliged to acknowledge and sign the defects, as part of the car sales agreement. If any unknown faults have been discovered within the car sale’s first 6-months, under Chapter 2 of the CPA, you have the right to demand repair, refund or replacement of the car.
    [/COLOR]
    https://www.carzar.co.za/blog/buying-a-car-know-your-rights

A dealer cannot contract out of the CPA.
    http://mprem.co.za/Publications/post...protection-act

This might help:

10 of the most wanted second-hand cars in South Africa right now – with prices

https://businesstech.co.za/news/moto...w-with-prices/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Its actually astonishing how many Fiat Uno's there still are on the road. Proportionately probably more than any other car bar none.

Now a nice little UNO Turbo would be a lekker project. Probably even source some Abarth stuff from Italy.

EDIT - Only problem is, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to selling it once it is all done.
    Drove a Group N Uno turbo back in the day, was fast for what it was but properly scary stopping the thing!
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by DdeJ View Post
    The Consumer Protection Act, implemented in April 2008, has disrupted the process of used motor vehicle industry.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65)]Under the CPA, even though dealerships may disclose a motor vehicle’s faults, car dealers are no longer allowed to sell a car ‘voetstoets’. However, in terms of selling a car privately, whether online or not, motor vehicles may be sold ‘voetstoets’. But, the car’s defects must be provided and the car buyer is obliged to acknowledge and sign the defects, as part of the car sales agreement. If any unknown faults have been discovered within the car sale’s first 6-months, under Chapter 2 of the CPA, you have the right to demand repair, refund or replacement of the car.
    [/COLOR]
    https://www.carzar.co.za/blog/buying...ow-your-rights

A dealer cannot contract out of the CPA.
    http://mprem.co.za/Publications/post...protection-act
    I looked into this too.

Wesellcars claims they are a wholesaler, not a dealer, so they can sidestep the CPA.

You can buy a car from them with CPA protection but then you pay more.

Either way it's dodgy but they seem to get away with it...
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    Weekend fun: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

If you can consistently stock good reliable cars around the R40K mark in the right area, you'll make a killing.

Citi Golfs indeed are cheap as chips to fix and there's not much that can go wrong. Late 80's to mid 90's Hiluxes and Isuzus are also worth gold.
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2018/06/14 at 08:36 PM.
    Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    Weekend fun: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

I'm not sure it's feasible to sell a decent condition Citi golf or any one of these cheapies for R40k whilst still making a fair profit. I watched this price segment for a few months a while back and there's very little available under R40k that's not very worn out either cosmetically or mechanically or both.

And even though many of these cheapie vehicles are relatively cheap to maintain a lemon can still add up in spares and labour, the main thing is not to get a lemon in the first place, it's easy to go into negative profits when it comes to cars needing repairs.

Maybe one way around that is when buying to use a Cor test as the benchmark, because at the end of the day in that price bracket that's all that matters to the buyer, it must be in good running order and be able to pass the cor test without needing costly work done.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/06/14 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Drove a Group N Uno turbo back in the day, was fast for what it was but properly scary stopping the thing!
    They were turbo charged coffins but damn for the time they were seriously cool!

A mint one now must be very rare indeed.
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post

A mint one now must be very rare indeed.
    Pretty much unobtainium or does not exist. Virtually every one out there has some sort of aftermarket mod or parts in. Maybe you'll find one in a collection or something but you'll pay a fortune for it.
    Also the selling market for it is not as great as you would think.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4