How much can tyres affect fuel consumption? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: How much can tyres affect fuel consumption?

MT's will increase your fuel consuption due to larger spaced lugs on the tyre that increase rolling resistance. Why choose MT if Allterrain work just as good. A lot less noise, less rolling resistance just as good. MT is what it says. Mud terrain. Tarred roads ..mud If you are going for the good looks only....pay the price.
    2002 Discovery td5

I use Hankook AT on my Disco and BFG AT on my Toyota. Fuel consumption difference to standard road tyres. Neglectable. Tyre failure and punctures. Nadda. Tried wranglers and other tyres. Los maar.
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Sometimes it's best to not say anything..
    Yes, especially when you post something stupid, which has to be edited to make it look better
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 401 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    There isnít always a nice linear relationship between tyre circumference and full consumption.

As tyre size and speed and torque and gearing are all interdependent the relationship can be linear, seriously non linear and even negative.

Bigger tyres can very easily give you a much better fuel consumption.
    Nope......never experienced that , and did went though a lot tyres in my life!!

Default Aggressive?

When some of my vehicle type traded from OEM 215/65/16 (C=686) to 235/60/16 (C=68 for a 0.3% difference in height, they reckon it was the 9.3% wider that contributed to the additional rolling friction which cost them 1 kpl more in fuel at the same tyre pressure.

What we havenít compared yet is the harder tyre compound Hankook vs the softer Yokohama for the same 235/60/16 size.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    The size of the tyres can make a big change on the speedo and seriously mess with your mind on calculations. I went from 20l/100km to 16l/100km just from changing from 265/65/18 BFG KO2's to 265/60/18 Achilles XMT Mud tyres.

Rather do a proper GPS distance check vs fuel used and then you can get accurate numbers.

What tyre sizes are you running between the 2? your original post is not clear.

Have a look here (https://tiresize.com/calculator/)

You went from BFG KO2 All-Terrain Tyre to Mud Tyre and got better fuel consumption?

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)
    2010 Vw Golf 6 TSi Koni/H&R STr Kit with 19inch low profile

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJustin View Post
    You went from BFG KO2 All-Terrain Tyre to Mud Tyre and got better fuel consumption?
    I'm pretty sure that's because he forgot to measure the circumference of the tyres before doing his sums. He was going further for every rotation of the wheel when he had the BFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tau View Post
    Morning Gents

I have always known that a more aggressive tyre will consume more fuel, but I was shocked to say the least after my trip last week.

I use my Wife's dorps bakkie for hunting twice a year on our farm in Namibie. It has become expensive and irritating on my tyres being flat from driedorings weeks after a trip.

That's interesting. In the Kalahari a Driedoring isn't even really a thorn.... and can't puncture a tyre.

Considering Road tires for the battlewagon these days too

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi AWD (AKA Battlewagon)
    Ex-2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
    Recovering Appliances since 2006

I had the isuzu 280 td for many years. Normal single cab long wheel base. It seems the speedo is set to show 120km/hr when actually doing 108km/hr (gps readings). But the factory tyres gave an accurate reading of km travelled. I upgraded my tyres to the factory issue size for the double cab which are larger and found my speedo reading to be spot on but the km reading 40km less on 600km. My bakkie when showing 600km should according to gps show 640km.
    So yes there are these factors to consider when calculating km/l.

Not the first time I heard that, where the speedo over reads, but the ODO is perfectly calibrated for the factory size tyres.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

The tyre size refer to diameter. Speed varies with circumference so a 7% change in diameter will be around 22% change in circumference

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    That's interesting. In the Kalahari a Driedoring isn't even really a thorn.... and can't puncture a tyre.
    Break a Driedoring (Landroverous Papwielious) with a piece of stem of and drop it on the ground it always has a stem pointing upwards. I worked in the Kgalagadi for a year and it was by far our highest cause of punctures.

So I said I will be back after doing the same road with my standard 17" tyres, canopy fitted and much heavier Infanta Safari trailer.

I replaced the diesel filter as I did 6200km for the trip and would then be on service.
    I inflated my tyres on the bakkie to 2.0 bar
    Trailer 1.5 bar.

I did a Cape - Windhoek overnighter and ran at 130km/h on the Speed control.

I did not fill at Garies, but topped 20 liter up as the diesel in Namibia at R13.08 vs the R15.40 was just too good so I filled at Noordoewer.
    Noordoewer was 64 liter + 20 Liters at Garies - 620km =7.26km/l.

I averaged 13.3l/100 or 7.6km/liter for the 6200km trip. Of this 1600km gravel, 3 days of 4x4 in Nambwa sand and Nkasa Rupara mud and sand.

I kept my airfilter clean and speed under 130km/h or on it with the Speed control.

I had a horrible headwind from Etosha to Spitzkoppe en Swakop to Seeheim with the Oos weer.

The Infanta has mare wind resistance than my hunting trailer and much heavier.

So with my drivestyle and conditions I conclude that in my experience the MTR's caused a big surge in fuel consumption, however I still think for the use as serious offroad tyre they are amazing. I have no more money left for fuel so any future experiments will be done by means of donations for 50ppm diesel.
    Baccalaureus: Toerkunde en Braai

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4