Wanted, Ctek Smartpass or similar - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Wanted, Ctek Smartpass or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    [URL="https://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/index.php?page=products&product_id=77"]

The quoted DC-DC charger delivers 30A (with a bypass function to power the fridge and other power consumers separately).

Less sophistication: Sometimes, in the bush especially, that can be a good thing.
    Problem is the lack of sophistication was in areas that I consider important.

The previous models suffered from :

1/. Forced convection cooling (Fan) = Noisy and unreliable.. A more sophisticated unit would be hermetically sealed and quiet.

2/. Manual switchover between Solar and Alternator.. I would expect decent power management and optimization of power.

3/. Horrible failure mode on the Solar Charger. -- It's absolutely unacceptable that using a Solar Panel with a greater current capacity than the spec should blow the charger. The charger should, like every other electronic device on the market use what it needs and discard the excess. ie if it can only charge at 20A then current limit at 20A, don't self-destruct.

4/. Only MPPC not MPPT.

--------------------------------

The latest versions have addressed all these issues, and should by all accounts be the best bang for the buck solutions available right now.

I see that the 30A version has already been discontinued. I have a sneaky suspicion this is because a 30A DC-DC could easily damage your average 100AH class battery.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

I think you were a little lucky.

The D250S is a nice tool, but it has its shortcomings.
    1. Prone to internal (electronic) damage.
    2. Some units do not switch off the input when it should, and this drains the starter battery.
    3. The MPPT response is very slow.
    4. The MPPT system is inefficient compared to other industry-standard devices.
    5. It is expensive.
    6. No repair facilities in SA.

I'm open to correction - indeed I hope I'm wrong onpoint 6.
    Hi with respect to point 6, I had excellent service from Jonathan from Enertec. He has a contact who repaired my D250S (R800).

JOHANNESBURG

Unit H & J Henville, 30 North Reef Road, Elandsfontein
    Phone: 011 440 8788
    Fax: 011 822 8586
    [email protected] <[email protected]>

Regards Gavin
    Last edited by Wedwo; 2018/06/13 at 11:41 AM.
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

ChrisF perhaps?

Regrettably I do not have one of those. Not for lack of trying.
    I ordered one some time last year via their website, but to this day there was not a single response from them, so I left it there.
    Ordered 1 back in Feb. Had a response same day. Luckily my brother lives down the road could collect for me.

Everything handled via email, had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Problem is the lack of sophistication was in areas that I consider important.

The previous models suffered from :

1/. Forced convection cooling (Fan) = Noisy and unreliable.. A more sophisticated unit would be hermetically sealed and quiet.

2/. Manual switchover between Solar and Alternator.. I would expect decent power management and optimization of power.

3/. Horrible failure mode on the Solar Charger. -- It's absolutely unacceptable that using a Solar Panel with a greater current capacity than the spec should blow the charger. The charger should, like every other electronic device on the market use what it needs and discard the excess. ie if it can only charge at 20A then current limit at 20A, don't self-destruct.

4/. Only MPPC not MPPT.

--------------------------------

The latest versions have addressed all these issues, and should by all accounts be the best bang for the buck solutions available right now.

I see that the 30A version has already been discontinued. I have a sneaky suspicion this is because a 30A DC-DC could easily damage your average 100AH class battery.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) @ 800 000 km

No. Manie wants you to buy the new DC-DC 20A MPPT. Brilliant item
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) @ 800 000 km

I think you were a little lucky.
    Could have been.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU's and a Prado

Thanks for all the feedback. Fluffy, your knowledge on the matter is vast, and I take what you say seriously.

What I plan to do to maximise my D250S is to put a 5 pin relay, driven by the powerpoint in the bin which comes on with the ignition, to power my fridges when im driving, and get the full 20amp into the batteries.

I have also bought a current and volt meter from 4x4 direct (50amp) that I will use to monitor things with.

I contacted Urban Escape Solutions, and very nearly pulled the trigger on the Redarc 40amp DC-DC charger, but doing the calc on energy used vs time to put it back into the batteries, im fine with 20amp. Im running 1 freezer, in the Richtersveld, in Winter, so power draw is minimal.

The Redarc Manager 30 looks like the bees knees, what a well thought out solution, but for my application possibly an overkill.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback, you have put me at ease with my system for this trip.
    (Ps, those Redarc units have widened my blinkers, Ctek has a few steps to catch up on)
    2012 Bi Turbo 4Motion
    235/85R16 Marie Biscuits , on Bilsteins with a 50mm suspension lift and 20mm body lift. 76mm pipe and software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2