Series III 1983 Land Rover Series 3 (4x4) - Rover 3.5 V8

Default 1983 Land Rover Series 3 (4x4) - Rover 3.5 V8

Hi, I'm looking at the above mentioned 4x4, do you still get parts for it and is it still affordable?
    It will also be my first 4x4 will it be good for a beginner?

Thank you

Default Re: 1983 Land Rover Series 3 (4x4) - Rover 3.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJohnny View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at the above mentioned 4x4, do you still get parts for it and is it still affordable?
    It will also be my first 4x4 will it be good for a beginner?

Thank you
    I had a 1995 Defender 3.5 V8 with SU Carbs. I think it is the same engine. Fuel economy was EXTREMELY bad. Brilliant car - took us to Malawi and back without problems but it was about 20litres+/100km. We sold it due to being unable to afford filling the 125litre (long range tank) that got about 550kms...

I think parts should not be a problem, I now have a 2.25 1968 S2A and am able to get most spares locally still.

Its terms of being a beginner, if you look at other threads you will see you need to be a bit more specific i.e. is this for hardcore trails, overlanding, learning DIY repairs etc? I used mine for short-term overlanding primarily and it was great.

Hope that helps!

It should be ok for a beginner. as long as you know what youíre getting yourself into - itís old so it will give hassles. Hopefully the hassles donít turn you off 4x4s right off the bat.

If you decide not to go with this one, could you send me the sellers details? Iíd love to have a v8 landy again, AND for it to be the exact same age as me!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

The SU carbs need a boffin and they are getting scarce. Luckily there are a few in the CT area.

Talk to Gary Frank, he does a ton of steel fabrication and builds replacement bits for Series and early coiler vehicles.

The parts for your vehicle will be a combination of late Series 3 leaf spring body parts and the drive gear from an early One Ten or Range Rover Classic. Landy Parts for Africa bring in a lot of stuff for these, and the rest you'll have to source from Landy breaker yards in CT or up here.

My opionion is that you MIGHT have a rare Stage One............

Stage One V8From 1979 until 1985, the Stage 1 was built using some of the same components as the Range Rover and 101 Forward Control, such as the LT95 gearbox and 3.5-litre Rover V8 petrol engine. The engine was detuned to 91 hp (68 kW) from the 135BHP of the contemporary Range Rover.

The Stage 1 was normally available only in LWB 109-inch (2,800 mm) form but 24 examples were built with the SWB 88 in (2,235 mm) wheelbase.[5]

"Stage 1" refers to the first stage of investment by the British Government in the company to improve the Land Rover and Range Rover product offerings, which eventually led to the Land Rover 90 and 110. The use of the Range Rover engine and drive train made it the only Series III vehicle to have permanent four-wheel drive.

Not many of these exist outside the UK. If you have a genuine version, then USA collectors would be VERY keen to chat with you.......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The SU carbs need a boffin and they are getting scarce. Luckily there are a few in the CT area.

Talk to Gary Frank, he does a ton of steel fabrication and builds replacement bits for Series and early coiler vehicles.

The parts for your vehicle will be a combination of late Series 3 leaf spring body parts and the drive gear from an early One Ten or Range Rover Classic. Landy Parts for Africa bring in a lot of stuff for these, and the rest you'll have to source from Landy breaker yards in CT or up here.

My opionion is that you MIGHT have a rare Stage One............

Stage One V8From 1979 until 1985, the Stage 1 was built using some of the same components as the Range Rover and 101 Forward Control, such as the LT95 gearbox and 3.5-litre Rover V8 petrol engine. The engine was detuned to 91 hp (68 kW) from the 135BHP of the contemporary Range Rover.

The Stage 1 was normally available only in LWB 109-inch (2,800 mm) form but 24 examples were built with the SWB 88 in (2,235 mm) wheelbase.[5]

"Stage 1" refers to the first stage of investment by the British Government in the company to improve the Land Rover and Range Rover product offerings, which eventually led to the Land Rover 90 and 110. The use of the Range Rover engine and drive train made it the only Series III vehicle to have permanent four-wheel drive.

Not many of these exist outside the UK. If you have a genuine version, then USA collectors would be VERY keen to chat with you.......
    I have seen the add he is talking about. Think its a built up V8. Not sure why the bonnet seems to be raised up in front either. It looks good in the pictures though
    Some car, some bike and two legs

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    I have seen the add he is talking about. Think its a built up V8. Not sure why the bonnet seems to be raised up in front either. It looks good in the pictures though
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...20910020949809

Looks OK for the price

SOA will cause issues with pinion angles..........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...20910020949809

Looks OK for the price

SOA will cause issues with pinion angles..........
    Agreed. For the price not bad. Can take those huge tyres off and almost get half the money back by selling them.
    Nice that it has papers as well
    Some car, some bike and two legs