Split charger in 2018 gd6 hilux / fortuner - help please

Default Split charger in 2018 gd6 hilux / fortuner - help please

Who has a split charging system in their 2017 / 2018 Hilux's / Fortuners and what system did you use?

I am getting conflicting info about the alternator :
    1. it is a smart alternator and goes to "sleep" when starter battery is full and in the auto, does not charge while coasting. I am told that the NL system is ideal.
    2. Others just use a WRND wired directly to the starter battery and have found it is nor necessary to run another thin wire from the WRND to the ignition

I do not want to do anything that could affect the warranty.
    Last edited by SamM; 2018/06/08 at 08:12 AM.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Split charger in 2018 gd6 hilux / fortuner - help please

Hi,

I have installed the NL system myself in my Fortuner with success and no issues. It's a GD-6 2.8 Auto, but it is a 2016 model. Are you specifically asking for 2018 models only? Something "different" on them than to the 2016 / 17 model?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Hi Sniper
    I have no idea if there is something different between the earlier models and the new one; I'm just trying to establish whether the alternator "goes to sleep" or into an idle mode once it detects that the primary battery is fully charged and when idling and coasting.

A friend of mine also with a GD6 has connected a WRND charger directly to his main battery and runs his fridge / freezer without any problems. His is also a 2016 model.

UPDATE : I have now just checked the voltage at the battery while the engine is idling and when it is switched off : 13.95 and 12.90 so it appears that charging continues regardless.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

I have the same issue on my Amarok with the WRND charger. On long trips it stop charging and then the fridge drains the battery. Haven't found a solution yet

HannoK
    It's quite possible that the Rok has an intelligent charger - all in the interest of clean emissions and fuel economy.
    I have contacted WRND directly and they have made provision for this by including an extra cable from the unit which must be connected to a 12v connection (or your ignition) that is live when the ignition is switched on.
    If my explanation is not clear, download the instruction manual from the WRND website. All details are there.

Keep us updated
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM