I have an idea for a gadget - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: I have an idea for a gadget

Daily drive: 2017 VW cross up!
    For sale: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Do not mistake my mantra for a crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Basically yes. But with additional control and feedback functions.
    Ek is redelik seker daar is al iets soortgelyk.

Aperia Tech se Halo Inflator doen dit reeds, waar daar 'n kompressor is op elke rim wat van kinetiese energie gebruik maak om die band 'n sekere druk te hou. Nie seker of hulle dit kleiner kan kry om op 'n karavaan rim ook te pas nie, maar op trokke werk hy reeds.

http://www.aperiatech.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Soos jy sê.... beperkte kennis op trekkers....
    Lamborghini het met trekkers begin............. mens weet nooit, tot jy weet!

Many trucks have a pressure monitoring device on each wheel to warn of deflation while driving. Using this you could have access to all wheels from a central point.

I already have an automatic inflater/deflater that uses a standard compressor and a mobile phone.

It's just a matter of marrying the two devices. I imagine the cost would be about R4000 per vehicle.

http://www.dactyltech.co.za/pressure_control.html

This is rubbish.
    Bootle is south of Peebles!

Fortuner D4D
    Jurgens XCAPE

Quote Originally Posted by Neels Laubscher View Post
    Lamborghini het met trekkers begin............. mens weet nooit, tot jy weet!
    Nou rebrand hulle net deutz trekkers...

Porche het ook trekkers gemaak
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Nou rebrand hulle net deutz trekkers...

Porche het ook trekkers gemaak
    Bietjie off topic maar hier is die Porche trekker. Ek het die foto in Dusseldorf by 'n motor skou geneem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Boyscout; 2018/06/11 at 09:55 AM.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout

2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W Sold
    2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

Please don't laugh at me, but I've been thinking of this gadget for a while now.

Most 4x4 drivers have a compressor and a gauge for setting tyre pressures. Many also have TPMS to monitor tyre pressures and temperatures.

What if a gadget existed that fitted inside the rim, that can raise and lower the tyre pressures to any value you set via a bluetooth connection to an app on your phone, or to a monitor inside the vehicle.

The gadget would be circular and go around the rim so that there are no balancing issues. Feed or bleed air can be achieved via a tube connected to the wheel valve. Power can be harnessed from the rotation of the wheels, both to charge a user replaceable battery that powers the electronics, as well as to power a pump to raise the pressure if needed.

The TPMS function can also be performed via this gadget.

For the user it would be as simple as select the pressure you want and the gadget does the rest. It will drop the pressure at rest, but to raise it you will need to drive some distance.

Obviously you'll need one gadget per wheel.

Any thoughts?

And if you laugh at my idea you owe me a drink.
    Its been done already. The Dakar vehicles use that technology. Rather heavy though

Have a look at these Arctic trucks in Iceland. Most of them had these - which might be what you're talking about(note, I say might). Not being able to speak Icelandic, I never asked. They only connected them when they went into the mountains.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gavpike; 2018/06/11 at 10:05 AM.
    Gavin

So the aim would be a minimal increase in unsprung mass and a cost not more than the combination of a compressor and TPMS.

If it added say 1kg to each wheel, and cost R2000 for the system, would you buy it?
    OK, we're now back to a central compressor and lines to each wheel, which is not What Johan had in mind.... but a lot more doable.

To get back to your idea Johan, yes, I would look at R2K for such a system, but ONLY if the setup can handle dust, mud and water. And no, putting a little filter in the air intakes is not going to cut it...
    André Opperman
    We live in an age of false history and bold lies told by artful political entrepreneurs to a younger generation that cannot be motivated to learn and understand its own history. - Songezo Zibi.

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Dink die manier van air line deur middel van as en dan o-rings met connection na wiel is baie goedkoper, en beter
    Ek het aan die selfde gedink, lorries hardloop met die stelsels, werk goed.

Ja portal axles op Landini ook, hulle werk goed en trek soos geen ander, size vir size.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

http://www.dana.com/commercial-vehic...ure-management

If you can make something more economical/better than these folks you might be on to something. That's a mighty big "if" though.
    Last edited by HeavyG; 2018/06/11 at 10:47 AM. Reason: badd speling

Default I have an idea for a gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    OK, we're now back to a central compressor and lines to each wheel, which is not What Johan had in mind.... but a lot more doable.

To get back to your idea Johan, yes, I would look at R2K for such a system, but ONLY if the setup can handle dust, mud and water. And no, putting a little filter in the air intakes is not going to cut it...
    After some more thought, an external valve is actually not needed. As someone mentioned earlier, the air can just be passed between two internal chambers, the tyre being the larger low pressure chamber, and a small high pressure chamber.

This whole idea actually came to me when I saw a puncture repair kit that had a few small cylinders of compressed air in it, to inflate the tyre again. Three or four of these tiny cylinders had enough air to fully inflate the average tyre. So I was wondering, if one could mount these inside the tyre, with a pump that tops them up again when needed, then you don't need a system that breathes external air.

Even if a pump is too difficult or expensive, a few of these cylinders mounted inside the rim can be "charged" with high pressure air to provide say the capacity for 2 or 3 full inflation cycles.

The reason for not wanting to go with a central pump, storage tank and lines is that if the entire system is contained within the wheel, it can easily be fitted to any vehicle.

Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2018/06/11 at 07:00 PM.

Those units are CO2, which has different properties to air. They run at about 50bar. The problem with your “device” is it requires simultaneous solution of numerous technical challenges which may or may not be possible. There isn’t currently a single component available “off the shelf”. For instance not only is your compressor inertial driven, but it probably needs to be a triple or even quadruple stage to get to these types of pressures.

All of this for the consumer price point of sub $200.

I do this type of thing for a living, but for that type of money, I think it’s going to stay a desktop study.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Those units are CO2, which has different properties to air. They run at about 50bar. The problem with your “device” is it requires simultaneous solution of numerous technical challenges which may or may not be possible. There isn’t currently a single component available “off the shelf”. For instance not only is your compressor inertial driven, but it probably needs to be a triple or even quadruple stage to get to these types of pressures.

All of this for the consumer price point of sub $200.

I do this type of thing for a living, but for that type of money, I think it’s going to stay a desktop study.
    I fully agree. For this to work will take a design from scratch approach with many years of testing and new solutions. The challenges of getting air to say 50 bar with a small pump alone will be very hard to solve. The electronic side will actually be the easy bit.

For this to work will take a lot of money and then you'll need to sell a lot to make a return on investment. If the OEM adapts it universally and it's affordable to the aftermarket, I think it could make someone very very rich.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3