Garmin does not want to becharged through USB?

Default Garmin does not want to becharged through USB?

Last year in August, bought a new Garmin Drive Assist 50. It works really well. It's been sitting idle these past few months while I was overseas.
    Going into the Namib in 2 days times and wanted to load some maps, only to have this thing tell me that the USB cable I am using will not charge my unit? I need the original cable.. say WHAAAT?
    Are all USB cables not the same? Why was it possible to work with a regular USB in the past and not now anymore? (I know there different Mini and Micro USBs.. .) How do I know which cable - I have a whole throng of USB cables - all look alike - some are thinner, some are fatter.. How do I know which is the RIGHT cable? I Took the USB of an older unit, and even THAT does not satsfy the unit!
    I plugged it into my car and it charges fine...so really not such a big issue, but I am mystified
    The battery is really very low, it would not even recognise the SD card for the dash cam...so now I was wondering if THAt was not the issue With it plugged into the car, everything works 100%...
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...
    NoName Boswa
    Honda FRV - verkoop!

Default Re: Garmin does not want to becharged through USB?

1) No, not all USB cables are the same
    2) Your Garmin needs more than the puny amount of amps the PC/laptop USB port will provide, usually it needs 2.1A via a proper Garmin cable
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    1) No, not all USB cables are the same
    2) Your Garmin needs more than the puny amount of amps the PC/laptop USB port will provide, usually it needs 2.1A via a proper Garmin cable
    So if I connect it to a 2A generic charging unit it will do the job, provided the cable can handle the current? If so it is no problem at all since the unit is never connected to the PC for such a long time as to deplete the battery...This was just the first time I noticed such a message...and I wasn't particlularly paying attention as to precisely which cable I was using initially... I don't evenr remember unpacking the original USB cable since there are always some random USB cable sitting around unused in close proximity to the PC...
    John van Dyk
    NoName Boswa
    Honda FRV - verkoop!

Quote Originally Posted by john_ysbeer View Post
    So if I connect it to a 2A generic charging unit it will do the job, provided the cable can handle the current? If so it is no problem at all since the unit is never connected to the PC for such a long time as to deplete the battery...This was just the first time I noticed such a message...and I wasn't particlularly paying attention as to precisely which cable I was using initially... I don't evenr remember unpacking the original USB cable since there are always some random USB cable sitting around unused in close proximity to the PC...
    Yes and no. Jelo is probably right with regarding the charging via laptop thing, although I have never exeprimented with that. Cellphones charge relatively OK over PC USB, and charge rquirements are probably similar, so it might.

Some things to think about.

1: PC connection:

A USB connection consists of 4 terminals. +5V, ground and a data pair. When you plug the deviceinto the PC, it detects +5V and data and goes into data mode, where it will appear as a GPS / SDCard / Whatever. It will not charge.

2: Car charger:

The Garmin car charger only has 2 cables connected in the USB charger - +5V and ground. So the device detects +5V and ground with no data and goes into charging mode.

3: Caveats:

I tried charging my old Nuvi unit via a cellphone charger using a generic micro or mini usb cable (whatever they are called). My thoughts were that only the +5V and ground were connected, so all would be good. However, when plugged in like that, it went in to data mode. Not sure how that works. Not sure if there is some capacitance or similar between the data pairs in the actual cable that the device uses to detect data feeds. It could also be that ground and data - are one and the same... In any case, the device thouhht it was in data mode, stayed in there and would not charge.

Anyways, it is no longer an issue for me at least. My Nuvi was very long in the tooth, and I tossed it for an eTrex20 years ago (which runs forever off penlight batteries), so not really too worried about this any more.

Some manufacturers hide “things” in their cables. These can be simple resistors or even microchips. Apple is famous for this. Garmin is another one.

I can confirm that my Garmin NUVI does the same on a non Garmin charger, never even mind USB.

The cynics amount us might say that they are protecting their income stream, but there are also very good reasons for doing this.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I'm successfully running a Nuvi off a 2.1A dashboard power pod with (I think) a USB cable that was used to charge a pad or tablet.

So until I find my Garmin Cable, I cannot charge while working off my PC with the unit connected...
    John van Dyk
    NoName Boswa
    Honda FRV - verkoop!

Quote Originally Posted by john_ysbeer View Post
    So until I find my Garmin Cable, I cannot charge while working off my PC with the unit connected...
    exactly

plug it into a phone charger

I have the same problem with the Drive Smart 61LMT unit. It wont charge via the laptop USB ports. I am off to Augrabies and KTP tomorrow and was busy uploading routes and new software release through the Dell when it died due to low battery. Had to charge it on the dual battery in the car.
    '15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '17 Jurgens XT140

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    exactly

plug it into a phone charger
    Sometimes.

If it’s a USB cable that includes the data lines the GPS can go into data transfer mode.

There are just so many different chargers and cables, it’s difficult to predict what will happen.

I suspect that if you use a genuine Garmin cable it will charge and connect to the PC.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Hi John,

Just experienced a similiar problem with a Garmin DriveAssist - I have used several different USB cables to connect it to our computers at the office with no problems. Took the Drive Assist along on a 2 week Namibia tour at the end of May, discovered our vehicle had no 12V cigarette lighter to plug the Garmin into. No problem, used my Garmin Cable to plug into the sound system so at least it has power, but got the error message that I am not using the right cable for the GPS. That night I plugged the Garmin into my USB charger (220V) and fully charged the GPS with no problems. Unfortunately the battery does not last long, so the DriveSmart spent 2 weeks in my camera bag, unused and very frustrated.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za