Bakkie hard tonneau cover design idea

Default Bakkie hard tonneau cover design idea

Hi guys

Firstly I hope this is the right section...

Secondly, I need some input on an idea for a hard tonneau cover for my Isuzu.

So far I have done a CAD design based on the measurements of my bakkie and standard steel sizes that are available. The main frame consists of a 50x50x5mm angle iron frame that rests inside the load bin. Inside this frame is a 25x25x3mm angle iron frame recessed just enough to have a sheet of chequer plate flush with the main frame. Then I will also include a roll over bar for safety reasons at the rear sliding window. The plan is then for this whole contraption to bolt to the bakkie using the same 4 bolt holes where the canopy bolt onto.

There is no door section to this cover as I keep all my stuff in crates and don't mind something slipping to the back of the load bin. If I then really need to load something taller I would have to put it on top of the cover or unbolt the cover and put it upright in the load bin.

I weld like doves poop, but can grind like a champ so will probably have to tack the frame together using a few corner clamps and magnets and then ask a friend to help out

The attached picture shows (from left to right) a sort of isometric view, view from rear of the bakkie and the side view.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Default Bakkie hard tonneau cover design idea

http://www.tonneauking.co.za
    Or you could just buy one of these, had one on my previous Navara, check out the video on how they work.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2018/06/07 at 07:52 AM.
    Jeep Wrangler Polar Edition (Weekend Toy)
    Nissan Navara v9x (Overlander)
    RAV 4 4x2 Auto (Mommy's Taxi)

Default Re: Bakkie hard tonneau cover design idea

I like the idea.

Was thinking about a square tube cattle rail thing for the Tata, also using 50mm angle as a base bolted onto the top of the loadbin sides, then 50mm square tube rails.

Some ideas for you:

" Inside this frame is a 25x25x3mm angle iron frame recessed just enough to have a sheet of chequer plate flush with the main frame."

Maybe consider hinges at the front end and then trailer door catches (two x Antiluce with padlocks)

at the back end and you can lift the lid at the back when needed.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    http://www.tonneauking.co.za
    Or you could just buy one of these, had one on my previous Navara, check out the video on how they work.
    Thanks, would have been nice if I could afford something like that.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I like the idea.

Was thinking about a square tube cattle rail thing for the Tata, also using 50mm angle as a base bolted onto the top of the loadbin sides, then 50mm square tube rails.

Some ideas for you:

" Inside this frame is a 25x25x3mm angle iron frame recessed just enough to have a sheet of chequer plate flush with the main frame."

Maybe consider hinges at the front end and then trailer door catches (two x Antiluce with padlocks)

at the back end and you can lift the lid at the back when needed.

I actually had this whole idea of a removable section that would fit between the wheel arches on the load bin floor, but ultimately decided against it in favour of a simpler and lighter setup. If my calculations are correct, this setup comes in at just below 40kg.

Also, I will be using cup square bolts (attached) to fasten the cover to the bakkie. Space between the cover and canopy mount is not that much.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

I've often thought of this only difference in "my design" if you can call it that is to make the solid cover in 3 sections. The section closest to the tailgate having a hinge with the two rears locked together internally, this way if the need arises for something taller the cover in that section can be removed...
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

Well.... OK. The tribe has spoken.

It would be possible to split the cover and then secure the loose part to the roll bar r put it on the load bin floor with the tail gate open. Will see if I can make a picture with the cover secured to the roll bar, but have to look busy for a while

The cover will still only use the four canopy mounting points and the two sections will be bolted together in the middle.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Make the sections interlocking in some way, even a simple slip fit then you only require locking the first section to secure it.

Should be a cool project
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

With the cover put on the roll bar it only protrudes about 80mm above the roof line of the canopy.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

The other day I saw a single cab Hilux with a similar setup to my "design" and I must say, that angular square tubing roll bar looks... well... crap.

So best option would probably be a pipe or bent tube setup similar to standard, but that is outside the scope of my abilities.

Anyone with a better looking solution to the square tubing roll bar?
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Get 50mm mandrel bends from your local exhaust shop and build a nice rollbar.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow