Recovery Tracks for Jimny?

Default Recovery Tracks for Jimny?

Hi Guys,

So i'm in the market for some recovery tracks. I've got a Jimny and was wondering if some of you Jimny owners (Or anyone actually) could maybe share your experiences or recommend some recovery track options for me to look into. After watching many YouTube videos I've been made fully aware of the holy and mighty MAXTRAX which are clearly sent down from the heavens, the problem with those is the price tag was definitely forged in hell. For now i'm looking into more affordable options that have good track records. Any assistance would be highly appreciated peeps! Thanks
    "Though the road is rocky, it sure feels good to me" Bob Marley

2016 Suzuki Jimny - Wrangler AT/SA+, Airlift 1000, Wizerd Bumper, Steel Undies, Rock Slider & Tow bar

Default Re: Recovery Tracks for Jimny?

Army sandbags and a spade. Better than recovery tracks and takes up less space. That's what I'll do if I need them one day.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Mmmm... interesting. Never heard of using them as an option. Sounds like a decent plan though, and can also be used to weigh things down at the camp site. Nice one thanks! Will def look into this.

2016 Suzuki Jimny - Wrangler AT/SA+, Airlift 1000, Wizerd Bumper, Steel Undies, Rock Slider & Tow bar

Interesting, will definitely remember the sandbags! The Maxtrax can however help in any terrain, such as sand, mud, rock steps. I wonder how versatile the use of sandbags can be in terrain other than sand?

I was also actually wondering if there is a DIY, or affordable alternative for the MAXTRAX....
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15
    Neotrek Little Swift roof rack

Doesn't ARB make the TRED recovery track as a cheaper alternative to MAXTRAX?

At a 4x4 store I saw a pretty cool idea where they fashioned recovery tracks out of those old rubber mats that were made from tyres.

Then if you really want to be DIY, there's a few videos on YouTube of making some out of all sorts of things.

You need to consider what you will use them for...Are they for sand/mud recovery only or will they be used as bridging tools or make shift spades(as the MAXTRAX is advertised as). That will make the difference between looking for a rigid track or a flexible one.
    Last edited by Sheldon93; 2018/06/06 at 03:37 PM.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Doesn't ARB make the TRED recovery track as a cheaper alternative to MAXTRAX?

At a 4x4 store I saw a pretty cool idea where they fashioned recovery tracks out of those old rubber mats that were made from tyres.

Then if you really want to be DIY, there's a few videos on YouTube of making some out of all sorts of things.

You need to consider what you will use them for...Are they for sand/mud recovery only or will they be used as bridging tools or make shift spades(as the MAXTRAX is advertised as). That will make the difference between looking for a rigid track or a flexible one.
    Thanks for the feedback man. I hear you. I'm not 100% sure what i'm going to use it for, but would like something thats generally usable in both sand and mud, for now i'm really just interested in having something on board, but nothing to pricey at this stage. Eventually when i'm big lol, i'll get a set of Maxtrax, although the TRED recovery track you mentioned looks like it may be just as good, for about 1k less. That however is too pricey for me at this stage.

I found the rubber style recovery track at Frontrunner for R500 for a 1.5m strip. They also have a foldable plastic recovery track sold as a pair for R1000. So wondering if i should maybe go for one of these in the meantime.

Does nobody have some feedback of the recovery gear they're using (Besides MAXTRAX, we all know those are epic).

Quote Originally Posted by nickza View Post
    Thanks for the link nickza. Have you used this type of recovery gear? Any feedback on how it performs?

Quote Originally Posted by OD_1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback man. I hear you. I'm not 100% sure what i'm going to use it for, but would like something thats generally usable in both sand and mud, for now i'm really just interested in having something on board, but nothing to pricey at this stage. Eventually when i'm big lol, i'll get a set of Maxtrax, although the TRED recovery track you mentioned looks like it may be just as good, for about 1k less. That however is too pricey for me at this stage.

I found the rubber style recovery track at Frontrunner for R500 for a 1.5m strip. They also have a foldable plastic recovery track sold as a pair for R1000. So wondering if i should maybe go for one of these in the meantime.

Does nobody have some feedback of the recovery gear they're using (Besides MAXTRAX, we all know those are epic).
    I unfortunately have never had to use recovery tracks yet so I can't give my opinion on what is the best...however I saw these whilst looking for something else, https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...ecovery-tracks

They're still pricey but the cheapest I've seen so far. I may get a set of these for my Jimny. If they break then I'll move on to the TRED Pros.

But I would like to hear if anyone has used the Frontrunner rubber tracks. They may be heavy but they roll up and being rubber not plastic, you don't have to worry about a spinning wheel chewing the lugs off your expensive recovery board.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

I think may join you there sheldon. The Trailboss recovery tracks look decent to me. Does anyone have experience with this product?

I have these. I haven't had to use them yet though.

http://www.4x4direct.co.za/recovery-...-set-of-2.html
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

Looking back at my time with the Jimny ...

Never needed "recovery tracks".

I have seen two Jimny's get stuck ....

The one got "hung up" on a rock and needed a light tug to get all four wheels back on the ground ... no shame in that, I have seen the same happen to some many other 4x4's.

For this situation you need a "recovery point" - someplace SAFE to attach a rope to, so your buddies can get you going again .... no try to find a such a point on a Jimny ... NOPE, does not exist ! And the same can be said for most other 4x4's in standard trim .... I know my Hilux had zero recovery point as it comes from Toyota.

PS - "tie-down" points are not rated for recovery !

Rather spend your money towards this .....

The only time a "recovery track" makes sense - when you need to build a short bridge, for this you need the type of item that saxj linked to ....

PPS - the Jimny is small, with very limited space ... the stuff you dont use will soon end in that expensive corner in the garage .... and you surely wont be using recovery tracks with a Jimny, well 99,9% of owners wont ever use it ....

sorry if this is not the feedback you were hoping for. But I ended up with just TOO many stuff in that "never used" corner of the garage .....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

Default Recovery Tracks for Jimny?

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Army sandbags and a spade. Better than recovery tracks and takes up less space. That's what I'll do if I need them one day.
    I have the same approach, a spade and a few woven plastic bags to fill with sand, rocks, grass or whatever is around when you need to is much more travel friendly than a set of tracks, especially in a Jimny, you never need more than a little pull to get going again. And make it over the same terrain

They use a lot less space too.
    Last edited by Flipside; 2018/06/08 at 10:41 PM.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flipside For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think i'm gonna try the sandbag technique for now. Seems to make the most sense considering how little people seem to be using recovery tracks with a jimny. The price, versatility and size of the sandbags gives them the edge for me.

Anyway, I thought i'd share this very affordable recovery track I found online. Looks pretty decent for R900. Definitely the most affordable set i've seen so far. May get a pair of these too at a later stage.

https://www.tacticalquartermaster.co...ucts/grip-n-go

I bought the ladders/tracks for the trip to Carnage Canyon. We didn't come close to using them. We did however use the winch and high lift jack repeatedly. The only time you are likely to need them is when you are solo in soft sand. Rather learn to have your tyres at the correct pressure for the terrain, and as a backup, sand bags and spade.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

A buddy of mine sent me this the other day, he says it does the job. I have not tried it though
    Last edited by The.druid; 2018/06/10 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The.druid View Post
    A buddy of mine sent me this the other day, he says it does the job. I have not tried it though
    If it why does he sell it

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    If it why does he sell it
    I have tried similar and it does not work in either sand or mud.

It must be a solid surface, that just sinks in the moment you place the vehicle weight on it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommyknocker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OD_1 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I think i'm gonna try the sandbag technique for now. Seems to make the most sense considering how little people seem to be using recovery tracks with a jimny. The price, versatility and size of the sandbags gives them the edge for me.

Anyway, I thought i'd share this very affordable recovery track I found online. Looks pretty decent for R900. Definitely the most affordable set i've seen so far. May get a pair of these too at a later stage.

https://www.tacticalquartermaster.co...ucts/grip-n-go

I Have these for our GV - used them once in sand to test them - they work pretty well!!

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimbingTurtle For This Useful Post: