Katima Mulilo to Sioma to Liuwa Plains

Default Katima Mulilo to Sioma to Liuwa Plains

Hello gents,

I'm looking for some advice on driving up the western side of the Zambezi, stopping at some of the highlights - Ngonye Falls, Sioma NP, Ngwezi Pools and then all the way up to Liuwa Plains. Anyone done it recently? (or at all?) and could maybe point me in the right direction -

What is that road (RD319) like? 4x4 only I imagine?
    Is the region safe?
    Are there any fuel and supply stops along the way?
    Is there any way to get from Liuwa Plains to Kafue without coming back down to Kalangola?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Default Re: Katima Mulilo to Sioma to Liuwa Plains

Very goof trip...of which I know nothing about!

Never been up that side, will be following with interest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Very goof trip...of which I know nothing about!

Never been up that side, will be following with interest.
    We dit this about 2 months ago. Stunning tar road to Sioma. Cross the Zambezi river at Sioma and go to Mongu. Also nice tar. At Mongu you can cross the Barotsi flood plains via the new Chinese bridge. It is 47 km long with 27 bridges. Beautiful.

when in Sioma you must stay at Wispering Sands campsite. About 6 km pasts the bridge and run by 2 South Africans.
    Any more questions, let me know.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrie Lombard For This Useful Post:

Can you actually get into Sioma park now? Not long ago there was very little access and you could only bush camp. There was a road going around the northern side ending on the Angolan border at Sinjembela and then you could go south to Imusho and then head back to the road along the Zambezi. There was also a very badly over grown Tsetse cut line that was super slow going. There were also rumours of old military camps (SWAPO) and that some roads are still mined. There certainly are still old arms caches along the Angolan border as the Zambian army came in to blow one up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Arrie Lombard View Post
    We dit this about 2 months ago. Stunning tar road to Sioma. Cross the Zambezi river at Sioma and go to Mongu. Also nice tar. At Mongu you can cross the Barotsi flood plains via the new Chinese bridge. It is 47 km long with 27 bridges. Beautiful.

when in Sioma you must stay at Wispering Sands campsite. About 6 km pasts the bridge and run by 2 South Africans.
    Any more questions, let me know.
    Fully agree with Arrie. We did almost the same trip in end October last year exept we drove up to Lukulu from Mongu where we went Tiger fishing. Very safe and amazing roads. Late in the season Ngonye Falls is breath taking. We entered Zambia at Wenela border post via Katima Mulilo, but be aware here of the money traders........they work in cahoots with the guys at the border post as some fees are only payable in US dollars while other only in Zam Kwachas....obviously no ATM around so you are forced to deal with these crooks. Try to get some Zambian Kwachas beforehand, maybe even in Katima itself to avoid this happening to you.
    Last edited by kallie404; 2018/06/06 at 09:16 PM.
    Toyota Land Cruiser S/W

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kallie404 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Arrie Lombard View Post
    Stunning tar road to Sioma. Cross the Zambezi river at Sioma and go to Mongu. Also nice tar.
    Guys, Tyson is asking about the western bank of the Zambezi, not the tar road to Mongu.
    Yes, it is doable (I haven't done it myself). From the reports I have heard, the tracks are through fairly deep sand - pretty normal Kalahari sand tracks. There are a number of small settlements along the route - Namabunga/Namaulungu (depending on which map you use), Kaunga, Sinungu, Mwandi etc, then the road rejoins the Mongu to Kalabo causeway road about halfway between the two towns (23km to Mongu, 21km to Kalabo, according to my maps).

The track is clearly marked on the two best Zambian paper maps, the Reise World Mapping Project and the Hupe Verlag by Manfred Vachal.

There are no fuel or supply points on the route. Tyson, I'm not sure what you mean by getting to the Kafue via "Kalangola" - I can't find any place of that name on the maps. If you mean via Kalabo, that is the route that makes the most sense, you can get from Liuwa to Kafue in a fairly easy day if you start early, and include a re-supply in Mongu (big Shoprite) en route.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/06/07 at 03:21 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Guys, Tyson is asking about the western bank of the Zambezi, not the tar road to Mongu.
    Yes, it is doable (I haven't done it myself). From the reports I have heard, the tracks are through fairly deep sand - pretty normal Kalahari sand tracks. There are a number of small settlements along the route - Namabunga/Namaulungu (depending on which map you use), Kaunga, Sinungu, Mwandi etc, then the road rejoins the Mongu to Kalabo causeway road about halfway between the two towns (23km to Mongu, 21km to Kalabo, according to my maps).

The track is clearly marked on the two best Zambian paper maps, the Reise World Mapping Project and the Hupe Verlag by Manfred Vachal.

There are no fuel or supply points on the route. Tyson, I'm not sure what you mean by getting to the Kafue via "Kalangola" - I can't find any place of that name on the maps. If you mean via Kalabo, that is the route that makes the most sense, you can get from Liuwa to Kafue in a fairly easy day if you start early, and include a re-supply in Mongu (big Shoprite) en route.
    Thanks Tony

I'll keep an eye for those maps. Kalangola, as far as I've been made aware is a little further down the map where the Sitote pontoon is (S16 14.636' E23 14.267'), or rather was. I'm told it's not operational anymore so that rules it out anyway. Looks like the best bet, as you mention, is Kalabo to Mongu over the causeway.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it!