Wild camping in South Africa - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Wild camping in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    boondocking forum on facebook join it ,solomon is the man who started it ,lots of members with idiees ,but it is not for all got very good tips there .
    Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    Is there a specific boondocking group for South Africa? Seems to be mostly for US and Canada...
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Please supply a link?
    Me too please!

America is amazing for wild camping, they often have officially designated camp sites next to roads, free to use for the public. South Africa not so much and everything is fenced off

sorry gents ,in facebook just seek boondocking sa
    ,it is started by soloman erichsen,,

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    sorry gents ,in facebook just seek boondocking sa
    ,it is started by soloman erichsen,,
    Any link? I couldn’t find it

Quote Originally Posted by Lianesch View Post
    Any link? I couldn’t find it
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1649026305383523 Hope this helps??
    Camping enthusiast. Overlanding addict. Child of Africa. Nature lover. DIY fanatic. 4×4 novice.
    Wife to one, mother to two. Happy lady who camps.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linda Jager For This Useful Post:

just hang on for a while ,i contacted the person on the site ,then will get back to you guys .sorry i got hold of the boondocking by accident ,just can't remember how.

opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Jager View Post

thanks linda ,now join facebook and join

opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:

Here are 2 private "secrets" - ok not big ones, but you may have driven by these without knowing they exist.
    Note weather that conditions may change accessibility - and you need a 4x4.

Should you be near Pella/Klein Pella there are 2 not quite so well known spots that worked well in the past.

BushCamp1: S28.99035 E19.05029 (very secluded - 4x4 driving skills involved)
    BushCamp2: S28.93990 E19.01660 (fairly easy access)

There is also a nice spot near the start of Road to Hell.

It is absolutely essential that you use good veld practices at all times, ie please don't mess it up for others.
    Do clean up other people's gemors and have veld-friendly toilet manners.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Been doing it for years (since 1982) in the KleinLetaba River.

Also one night last year on the D707 in the Namib. And later when the low sun caught us. Just turn off the main road into the veld. Namibia is a gem.

And in Kaoko on our epic bike trip via VanZyls Pass.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Mooiplassie in Dinokeng Big 5 has an un-fenced camping spot on the river.
    Bring a bass rod!

We almost had to camp wild on our last trip to Botswana. We had planned to spend the night at Doorndraaidam as we thought it was a nice stop on route from Joburg to the border. We had been there once many, many years ago, so it was a bit a nostalgic decision.

Because of some hassles and traffic jam on the highway we we running late and arrived around sunset at the gate. Just to find out that this gate had closed permanently and we had to drive all the way around to the main gate. That was a 35-40km drive over bad roads and it took us quite a while, so we arrived at the main gate in pitch black. To find out it was closed and there was nobody around to open it. We used the car horn but no response, found the phone number and called over a dozen of times, no response. As there was no moon and no lights around anywhere, it was so dark you couldn't even see a tree in front of you.

Our option was to camp in front of the main gate. Then we heard some laughter and noises in the distance and turned the car and drove there. It turned out to be some kind of settlement where we could only see some drunk locals sitting around a fire. Not a place to be in the dark with two kids! We drove back and waited, tried some phoning but nothing. At that point I was making my mind up about where to spend the night. I wouldn't want to camp wild at the gate so close to the settlement, but where else to go? Luckily another car arrived after a while. They had family already in the reserve and phoned them. They managed to find some worker and came to the gate and he opened it from the inside. When we asked him were to camp, he just said: anywhere.... Which was great as we didn't have a map of the reserve (other than the GPS) anyway.
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

Rustic Wild Camping is available in the Kruger National Park via the SANParks Honorary Rangers of which I am a member.

These camping must not be confused with camping like the Bushveld camps and Rustic camping like Tsendze etc.

Camping is away from Mopani rest camp in the wild not accessible to normal visitors in a wilderness area, unfenced with a basic long drop and open air shower facilities.

Campers must be fully self-sufficient with camping gear (Preferably off road caravan or Bush Trailer) and 4x4. No water is available and campers must carry their own water, fire wood and prepare own meals.

Camping is over 4 days, 3 nights with a SANParks Honorary Ranger & 3 armed guides and can campers enjoy morning and afternoon walks with the guides and enjoy quality silent time around campfires at night.

You are welcome to send me a privatemessage if you need more information.
    Last edited by Bushcrazy; 2018/06/11 at 05:25 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushcrazy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcrazy View Post
    Rustic Wild Camping is available in the Kruger National Park via the SANParks Honorary Rangers of which I am a member.

These camping must not be confused with camping like the Bushveld camps and Rustic camping like Tsendze etc.

Camping is away from Mopani rest camp in the wild not accessible to normal visitors in a wilderness area, unfenced with a basic long drop and open air shower facilities.

Campers must be fully self-sufficient with camping gear (Preferably off road caravan or Bush Trailer) and 4x4. No water is available and campers must carry their own water, fire wood and prepare own meals.

Camping is over 4 days, 3 nights with a SANParks Honorary Ranger & 3 armed guides and can campers enjoy morning and afternoon walks with the guides and enjoy quality silent time around campfires at night.

Can you not share basic details like costs here? If not, I will send a PM. Or maybe this requires a separate thread.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2018/06/11 at 05:38 PM.

Subscribed
    One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcrazy View Post

Yoh! Bush Crazy! Hope you know what you are letting yourself in for!! Getaway and Weg! have less readers thanks forum!!
    The secret to good self esteem is to lower your expectations to a point where they are already met. (Calvin & Hobbes)

Before they went and spoiled it with ablutions the Richtersveld was an excellent wild camping experience. Except for the river there was no water available, and the philosophy was that you leave nothing behind, except footprints.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Yes, there are some spots here in RSA where you can wild camp although as has already been mentioned some of us like to keep our "private" wild camp spots to ourselves! But an excellent source of information for camping places, both wild and established sites, is www.ioverlander.com We have used this website and contribute to it as overlanders not just here is Africa but just about anywhere in the world. When you get into the website scroll the world map to the region of interest and then zoom in until camp site symbols start to appear. You'll see symbols for both organized campsites with facilities of some sort as well as symbols with a moon and small tent. This latter one indicates a wild or bush camp where someone who contributes to IOverlander has camped. Click on the symbol for info such as when it was last visited, its GPS coordinates and any facilities, warnings etc applicable to that place. You'll also see a contact either in website form or sometimes email address of the person who listed the site which may be worth following up on. We've used IOverlander for years on long range trips through Africa, the Middle East, much of Europe and most of Scandinavia, Australia and both North and South America and have found it invaluable. As others have already intimated in the forum the definition of "wild camping" is a loose one. Choosing a new "wild" spot to camp is surely much to do with applying a bit of good old common sense. I believe the most important three rules to apply are one, don't camp on obviously private land without trying to get permission first, and two, find a spot that is out of sight - day or night - of any vehicle route or inhabited area no matter how small. Thirdly, be VERY, VERY careful about lighting fires and extinguishing them when leaving. A good fourth rule might be leave the spot tidier and cleaner than you found it. Hope this helps in your quest.
    Jambo7

London to Sydney 1968 East Africa 2001 Southern & East Africa 2004 & 2006
    Australia 2007 Cape Agulhas to North Cape, Norway 2009/10
    Ushuaia, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska 2012/13, Southern Africa 2015 & 2017

DON'T JUST DREAM IT - DO IT!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jambo7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    As per the thread title... I've always heard of people wild camping in places like Namibia, Botswana, etc, but are there any wild camping spots in South Africa that anyone can share?
    Baviaanskloof; two options
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D auto
    ex 2012 Suzuki Jimny
    EFS suspension,steering damper, airlifters, steel undies, GY A/T, Gobi-x bumper, two-way radio, duel battery, 45 l fridge, drawer system, camping gear, 27 l water, Roof rack, air suspension.
    ex 1999 Range Rover HSE 4.6 V8
    ex 1999 Pajero SWB 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Y-T View Post
    Baviaanskloof; two options

Maybe something wrong with my eyes, for I don't see them?
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Secret destinations..?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Somkhanda Game reserve near Mkuze - has a small campsite - wild camping - you can also use their equipment for a small charge - tents kitchen stuff etc - It is a fabulous spot and has a lot of game -- we had lion roaring close to us at night

Can highly recommend this spot -- we also got Abe to give us a guided walk the one day

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain caprivi For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast