Default 2.4 4x4 NP300 Hardbody Altenator whine?

Good Day,

I have a 2015 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4i 4x4.

I noticed the other day if the headlights (or any higher consuming electrical equipment e.g blower) are switched on, a strange high pitched almost whistling noise can be heard from the engine area. It sounds almost like a belt slipping.

I did check the altenator belt and it is tight enough (can almost twist the belt a quarter turn). I also checked the voltage during idle; 14.3volts and when the equipment is switched on, it drops and returns to around 14.1volts.

I cannot hear it from the cabin and also if there is no electrical load, an increase in rpm does not cause it as well.

Could it be an alternator bearing? The bakkie is due for service end of the month and still under warranty.

Groete,
    2013 Nissan Navara 3.0 DCi 4x4 D/C - Rooigevaar

Default Re: 2.4 4x4 NP300 Hardbody Altenator whine?

Most probably an alternator bearing, yes.

Do you pressure wash the engine at any time?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Most probably an alternator bearing, yes.

Do you pressure wash the engine at any time?

Nope, never. Just a wet rag to clean the engine bay. FIL had a lot of problems because of doing stuff like this. I will not chance it.

I did a river crossing more than a year ago, but the water depth was probably not more than knee height and i did it slowly.

This problem only started recently. If it is a alternator bearing, will the Nissan Warranty replace/fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratelrooi View Post
    This problem only started recently. If it is a alternator bearing, will the Nissan Warranty replace/fix it?
    no idea

I've never bought a new Nissan, with or without a warranty
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hi Ratelrooi,

Same car, same engine

I had the same problem - it whenever the lights were switched on it produced a high pitched whine

The alternator was replaced after the car died on the highway, and when I got it back after the replacement(warranty claim) - same noise....

WTF? I then decided to have a look - turned out it was an earthing problem on the spotlight circuit - I moved an earthing wire to a different spot in the engine bay, using another body mounting point. Problem solved. The specific earthing wire provides the negative path for the spotlight relay

It might be that you have the same issue?

Have a good one

Willie
    Last edited by willieg; 2018/06/04 at 06:25 AM.
    Nissan NP300 Hardbody S/C 4x4 2.4
    ZR6WGR

Quote Originally Posted by willieg View Post
    Hi Ratelrooi,

Same car, same engine

I had the same problem - it whenever the lights were switched on it produced a high pitched whine

The alternator was replaced after the car died on the highway, and when I got it back after the replacement(warranty claim) - same noise....

WTF? I then decided to have a look - turned out it was an earthing problem on the spotlight circuit - I moved an earthing wire to a different spot in the engine bay, using another body mounting point. Problem solved. The specific earthing wire provides the negative path for the spotlight relay

It might be that you have the same issue?

Have a good one

Willie

Hi Willie,

Baie dankie!

I do have Hella driving lights installed,the lightbulbs earthed on the mounting brackets. The relay gets switched on by the same power going to the "brights". The relay earth is on the body. Although I know a separate switch must be installed...

I will test it and give feedback!

Out of curiosity, did you find out what failed on your alternator, if this was the caused that left you stranded?

Groete,
    Last edited by Ratelrooi; 2018/06/04 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spell check

Update;

I have checked the earthing, I have found the relay was earthed on the battery terminal.

After disconnecting the driving lights completely, I still found that the alternator was whining when any electrical system with high current is switched on.

In fact, it seems to be getting worse, the whine can now be heard without any electrical equipment on.

I just hope the alternator holds until it gets replaced.

Groete,

Hi there,

The fault was with the regulating circuitry - and due to it being a warranty claim(the car has only done 83 000 km) - the alternator was replaced

Have a good one

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Ratelrooi View Post
    Hi Willie,

Baie dankie!

I do have Hella driving lights installed,the lightbulbs earthed on the mounting brackets. The relay gets switched on by the same power going to the "brights". The relay earth is on the body. Although I know a separate switch must be installed...

I will test it and give feedback!

Out of curiosity, did you find out what failed on your alternator, if this was the caused that left you stranded?

Groete,
    Nissan NP300 Hardbody S/C 4x4 2.4
    ZR6WGR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to willieg For This Useful Post: