Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

I am posting this because when it came to deciding what after market suspension to put on my Hilux i could find very little in the way of unbiased advice.

In a Hilux I have had OME, TJM, LAS profender and driven one with IRON man. In a PRADO , original and OME. In a Fortuner OME. They are all good, with their own particular character. Some firmer, some softer but to be honest I was never entirely happy with the all round package. LAS profender on the hilux probably my personal favourite and original on the PRADO (OME destroyed the ride character IMO)

I heard good things about Fox and the only hands on experience I had was a FJ cruiser and I was blown away.

So I took the plunge.

20000 km later maybe my experience may be of some help to those trying to decide.

First let me say they are pricey but IMHO worth every cent considering quality and the fact that they can be rebuilt.

The ride is plush. If you come from a road saloon/bakkie you will find the ride a little wallowy (cant think of a better adjective - sorry) at high speed on a freeway. Stop suddenly and there are a few oscillations before the vehicle settles at a dead stop. Don't misunderstand, high speed cornering is still excellent and control outstanding.

Hit the gravel roads and prepare to be blown away. The best dirt road ride I have ever had. Better than Prado or 200 series land cruiser. Its crazy. It soaks up the bumps, potholes and corrugations like nothing I have had before.

In the hilux previously a bad gravel road meant H4. Now its not at all necessary. The ride stability, tracking and secure road feel is on another level. The hop skip and jump at the back (when unloaded) is gone. I would be very interested to know what the new fortuner would feel like with FOX - in my experience that skipping on the rear axle over corrugations is severe. I have driven it with Tough dog foam - the ride quality and damping were excellent but that skip was still there.

I am considering trying some front dampers that have been re-valved by the agents just to see if the low speed oscillation (wallowy feel is improved) - my concern is that this may take away from the gravel road characteristic i have described. Not sure - anyone with experience please feel free to advise/comment.

Lastly I am aware that everything is compromise (vehicle /tyres etc.) and that you decide based on your needs/taste. I hate being battered around on bad dirt. These are the best solution to that I have found.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers
    Last edited by motomoto; 2018/05/29 at 08:38 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to motomoto For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

Can you post some pictures?

Also, can you keep the standard ride height ? I want to update my suspension for better compliance and road holding , but donít want to lift them from stock height...

Any links to where you got them and price?
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PTsalas For This Useful Post:

Thank you for this info. I was looking at fox a while ago as well but there were no reviews or such.

Did you just replace the shocks, or did you replace leaf springs and bushings as well? Dis the ride height change?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
    Can you post some pictures?

Also, can you keep the standard ride height ? I want to update my suspension for better compliance and road holding , but donít want to lift them from stock height...

Any links to where you got them and price?

The front shocks come with coils which are adjustable - the change in ride height is also as a result ( 0-45 mm I am told)

The rear does not change ride height in as much as it uses the OEM springs.

I got them through LA Sport in George. Last year they were in the R20k range

Quote Originally Posted by coetzer94 View Post
    Thank you for this info. I was looking at fox a while ago as well but there were no reviews or such.

Did you just replace the shocks, or did you replace leaf springs and bushings as well? Dis the ride height change?
    The front comes with an adjustable coil. The rear uses the standard springs. I am not certain but I think they come with bushes.
    Front ride height adjustable to 45 mm higher I believe. No change at the back.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motomoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
    The front comes with an adjustable coil. The rear uses the standard springs. I am not certain but I think they come with bushes.
    Front ride height adjustable to 45 mm higher I believe. No change at the back.
    Correct, apparently what also works very good is to replace the rear leaves with a set of the Pro-Fender leaves springs with the FOX suspension.
    Quote from LAS in PE for the Fox suspension without the rear leave springs is R26 600.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 SYM Citycom S300i
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 250d Avantgarde
    2012 Dethleffs Esprit Motor-home.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BBK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Correct, apparently what also works very good is to replace the rear leaves with a set of the Pro-Fender leaves springs with the FOX suspension.
    Quote from LAS in PE for the Fox suspension without the rear leave springs is R26 600.00.
    I must say I have always been very impressed with Toyotas OEM rear leaves. On 2 previous bakkies I have added an extra OME or LAS leaf if they were going to be loaded heavily. At any rate I dont see the need to replace unless you are going for a lift. Even then you can use a longer shackle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to motomoto For This Useful Post:

BBK

Quote Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
    I must say I have always been very impressed with Toyotas OEM rear leaves. On 2 previous bakkies I have added an extra OME or LAS leaf if they were going to be loaded heavily. At any rate I dont see the need to replace unless you are going for a lift. Even then you can use a longer shackle.
    Thanks for this info.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 SYM Citycom S300i
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 250d Avantgarde
    2012 Dethleffs Esprit Motor-home.

I heard that a pure Bilstein shock swop also have great results at a much better price BUT getting reviews on this is also not easy
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT
    2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi
    2019 Bush Lapa Miskruier BL1861

Iím considering doing just the rear dampers.
    Civil Engineer

So these guys sell the rear dampers separately and not too bad a price.

Would replacing the rear dampers make much of difference to the rear handling of the vehicle? With my Triton it did. Not planning on changing leaf springs.

I want better compliance and control on high speed corrugations and ďslightlyĒ softer damping on the road. Donít want it to wollow like described above, I believe the front being too softly damped is the reason for that. Hence why Iím only planning replace the rear.

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/toyota-hil...-2.0-performan
    Civil Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by observer View Post
    I heard that a pure Bilstein shock swop also have great results at a much better price BUT getting reviews on this is also not easy

I had Bilsteins on my Prado, but cannot really say if they made a difference seeing the Prado already has very good ride quality. They handled many hundreds of kilometers over corrugations very well though.

Also looking to change shocks on the Fortuner to try and dampen the rather harsh feeling in the back. Please share if you find any feedback on Bilsteins replacements for Hilux/ Fortuner.

Never knew about Fox, so this thread is really helpful. Fox? Bilstein?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/06/03 at 03:02 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I'm also looking for a 'fresher' suspension set up,but for a FJ,not much local info re Bilstein and Fox and the agents don't respond to calls or Emails.

There was a good article in a SA 4X4 magazine with numerous general suspensions on offer.But I've misplaced my copy, can anybody remember it so I can get a back copy?

If I remember correctly Tough Dog came out pretty good,only the price difference in Fox was a bit hectic....
    Still like to read it again though.
    A legend in his own mind

20. The Following User Says Thank You to incrediblebob For This Useful Post:

Also looked on this site, decent prices...http://mikemsuspensions.co.za/Pages/Lift-Kits.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A legend in his own mind

22. The Following User Says Thank You to incrediblebob For This Useful Post:

Lot of different suspensions in the past. After the Fox system on the Yank Ranger nothing is the same any more. I compare every other suspension with Fox. In my humble opinion nothing touch Fox. Ja I know about King and other extreme stuff that might be better
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Would replacing only the rear dampers with Fox 2.0 make a worthwhile difference to handling and comfort?
    Civil Engineer

Would replacing only the rear dampers with Fox 2.0 make a worthwhile difference to handling and comfort?

I think it definitely would but have no experience of doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    I'm also looking for a 'fresher' suspension set up,but for a FJ,not much local info re Bilstein and Fox and the agents don't respond to calls or Emails.

There was a good article in a SA 4X4 magazine with numerous general suspensions on offer.But I've misplaced my copy, can anybody remember it so I can get a back copy?

If I remember correctly Tough Dog came out pretty good,only the price difference in Fox was a bit hectic....
    Still like to read it again though.

I have driven a FJ with Fox suspension belonging to Norman and Magda at George LAS. It is outstanding- it was what made me choose Fox. Chat to them personally about their experience. Norman has been doing this a long time and his opinion is that FOX is hard to beat.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to motomoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I had Bilsteins on my Prado, but cannot really say if they made a difference seeing the Prado already has very good ride quality. They handled many hundreds of kilometers over corrugations very well though.

Also looking to change shocks on the Fortuner to try and dampen the rather harsh feeling in the back. Please share if you find any feedback on Bilsteins replacements for Hilux/ Fortuner.

Never knew about Fox, so this thread is really helpful. Fox? Bilstein?
    No experience of Bilsteins on a 4x4. On a road car they are very impressive. I believe they can also be rebuilt.
    I think your Fortuner will be different vehicle with a change of dampers. Tough dog foam are the best I have personally experienced on a Fortuner but I suspect Fox will be even better.

One of the forum members (QuQ) has just taken delivery of a Fortuner with Tough Dog. Any comments?

So these guys sell the rear dampers separately and not too bad a price.

Would replacing the rear dampers make much of difference to the rear handling of the vehicle? With my Triton it did. Not planning on changing leaf springs.

I want better compliance and control on high speed corrugations and ďslightlyĒ softer damping on the road. Donít want it to wollow like described above, I believe the front being too softly damped is the reason for that. Hence why Iím only planning replace the rear.

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/toyota-hil...-2.0-performan
    Sounds reasonable. If you do it let us know.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to motomoto For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast