Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

Hi all, I did the big swop out a few weeks ago to a full fox Shox swop out, front and back on my Fortuner and WOW proper result
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    Metalian Maxi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shippy For This Useful Post:

Rob Green MOTORSPORT selling for the Fortuner/Hilux D4d & GD for R23800 installed.

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)

Quote Originally Posted by QuQ View Post
    Iíve had the Fox fitted for a week or so now and Iíve noticed a significant improvement in the ride quality around town. The back, fitted with aluminum canopy and a full fuel tanks (+68L Long Range tank), is 15mm lower than the front. I plan to sort that out soon, not sure if that should be extended shackles, spacers etc. Suggestions? I am going on a trip this weekend which will include 200km of dirt roads, I will be able to give you a better report next week.
    So, after an 800km round trip that included 200km of dirt road, I can say that I am super impressed with FOX. The vehicle is very stable and sure-footed at high speed yet absorbs bumps and ruts beautifully. Very "plush" to use the OP's terminology. I am now a big fan of FOX.

So here is my write-up after a week of having my Fox 2.0 rear dampers installed (front is stock)

Comparison of the stock rear and FOX 2.0, you can see the additional allowance if you choose to lift. I kept mine at stock ride height with stock springs. The body is aluminium and quite a bit wider than the oil filled steel section of the OEM damper.

The roost guard costs extra and doesn't come with the dampers. Not sure how necessary it is, I got it as I didnt want to take chances.

Picture below is of the LHS damper , the roost guard is in the incorrect position and is supposed to face forward. This is not a problem with the RHS damper. It took a me quite some time cutting up the roost guard to get it to fit facing forward as the overhang clashes with the rear axle. Keen to see how the other guys have theirs mounted.

Picture below is of the final installation with the roost guards all facing forward as they should.

I used dishwashing liquid and a rubber mallet to get the bushings to slide on the mounts. You will need a jack (preferably a trolley jack, but you could use a bottle jack and some jiggling like what I did) to compress the damper as it is nitrogen charged and rebounds on its own and hard, almost like there is a spring inside. The stock damper is very soft on compression compared to the Fox damper.

So I haven't gotten to drive it off road yet, but I have done 600km of mixed fast back roads and highways which were in quite bad shape. The drive for the first 50-100km felt a little more stiff than stock, but it has softened since then. It then felt similar to stock and after a few more km slightly better (more damped). I will test it on off camber corrugations which get the stock rear end squirmy for a better comparison as road holding on-road and off-road was a priority over comfort.

Now that it softened slightly, the stock front does feel a little more stiff than the FOX rear now, but it could also be my imagination (confirmation bias is a problem that Im sure a lot of us buying suspension might experience).

Was it worth it? I believe the rear is a little better damped and controlled than before. If you are replacing rear dampers, the FOX units are not much more expensive than other brands and I would not hesitate buying them again(R2800 each EX VAT). You can also have them refurbed with new oil, seals and bushings for +- R800 so not bad long term value compared to shocks that you dispose. Once I do some fast offroad with off-camber corrugations , will let you know if it accomplished my main requirement.

Keep in mind I only did the rear dampers and kept the leaf springs and ride height stock as I felt that is what needed the most work on the Hilux. When the front are due for replacement, I will replace with FOX, but I wouldn't replace a good front stock set right now for the type of driving I do. I have no interest in ever lifting my bakkie.

The importer Paul is based in Kyalami, PM me if you want his contact number as he is a very helpful guy and more than willing to assist by phone or whatsap.

Hope this helps for those interested in the kit. Will update you as I go.
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTsalas For This Useful Post:

I think the roost guards is essential, those exposed piston rods will be pitted by flying stones and eat the rubber seals in no time. Thanks for the feedback.
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

Default Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

Looks great can you pm me Paulís details want to chat about my Prado thanks
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2018/07/25 at 08:48 PM.

Cool! How much did those guards cost?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT
    2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi
    2019 Bush Lapa Miskruier BL1861

Quote Originally Posted by observer View Post
    Cool! How much did those guards cost?
    R600 something. Keep in mind you will do ALOT of cutting on the LHS one to make it fit in the correct orientation (facing forward).
    Civil Engineer

Is it possible to mount the shock the other way around ?
    Last edited by Michael11; 2018/07/26 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael11 View Post
    Is it possible to mount the shock the other way around ?
    I havenít asked the importer, but google tells me itís a bad idea as the damper is oil and gas charged and needs to be orientated with body top and rod bottom as the gas is on top and oil underneath the valve and it wonít damp correctly if mounted oil top and gas below or at least something to that extent. Call Paul the importer and ask.
    Civil Engineer

And how are the foxies behaving? Any feedback?
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

Fox are the best that I have ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    And how are the foxies behaving? Any feedback?
    Drove in a friends ranger 2.2 and think even with fox on my Hilux that the ranger is better damped than the Toyota. I wouldnít swop my Toyota for a Ford if you paid me though.

I run tyre pressures at 2.3 bar front and 2.1 rear and it seems to keep the rear well behaved. I think Iíll come down on the front slightly. I did some fast corregated dirt roads and the Hilux did well. Fox is an improvement yes, not life changing by any means though.

Only gripe is that the dampers leave oil on the chrome shaft ending at the end of the stroke. I donít think it is a leak but film of oil getting past the seals. Will keep an eye on it and report back if it ends up being a leak (which it is not now)
    Civil Engineer

Your tyres are very hard for dirt road driving!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

Quote Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
    Update:

So I have now re-fitted the front dampers after re-valving done by the agents: The wallowing at speed over humps is completely gone. Cornering at speed is much tighter. On road perfect. There is a slight compromise in the plushness on a bad pot holed dirt road but its still fantastic.

In short, if you have an aftermarket bumper, winch, canopy rear bumper etc. I would highly reccomend the slightly firmer damping.

If your hilux is to stay standard go with the factory damping.

Either way, in my opinion Fox are the best shocks I have yet had on a 4x4.
    thank you for the advice. I am fitting mine later this week and will have steel bumpers, underbody protection Andani canopy. What should I tell the installer to shim it to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael11 View Post
    thank you for the advice. I am fitting mine later this week and will have steel bumpers, underbody protection Andani canopy. What should I tell the installer to shim it to ?
    Just ask him to do the same as for Tim in Knysna

Enjoy

Hi All, sorry if it is a stupid question but how do i measure how much sag my suspension has.

Or how low the front is compared tothe back?

Thanks
    Jean

From centre of wheeel to bottom of wheel arch. ?

Quote Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
    I must say I have always been very impressed with Toyotas OEM rear leaves. On 2 previous bakkies I have added an extra OME or LAS leaf if they were going to be loaded heavily. At any rate I dont see the need to replace unless you are going for a lift. Even then you can use a longer shackle.
    @motomoto where can I buy the OME add a leaf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5