Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Fox 2.0 shocks on 2017 Hilux Revo 4x4 d/c

Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    Friend of mine had OME in his pajero. The ride was really hard and I siad to myself never will I put on OME.
    Same with a mates FJ, its only decent when loaded - I need to look at a cheaper option for replacement as I am not totally happy with the originals(oem) as they are not what they used to be
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Same with a mates FJ, its only decent when loaded - I need to look at a cheaper option for replacement as I am not totally happy with the originals(oem) as they are not what they used to be
    So many reviews on OME, one guy says it is brilliant, other say too soft, and another says it is firm.

So far the Monroe Gas Magnum have been a good compromise for me. Better than OEM and not as firm as after market stuff.

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenJustin For This Useful Post:

I really think this mostly happens when the people choose the wrong load for their suspension, rather than a problem with a specific brand. If you fit a heavy duty suspension to a vehicle that is generally empty, it's not going to feel good except when heavily loaded. Suspension will always have to be some sort of compromise between comfort and load carrying ability.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

I went KYB in the front R3250 for 2. Same as original and doing the job for me. These fancy one too expensive at this stage but if I can afford I will go Billstein or even better Fox. No reason not to believe Grips and the rest raving about FOX.
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandveld For This Useful Post:

I went KYB in the front R3250 for 2. Same as original and doing the job for me. These fancy one too expensive at this stage but if I can afford I will go Billstein or even better Fox. No reason not to believe Grips and the rest raving about FOX.
    I dont know hey... Grips still drives a Ford
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

we need to pray for him
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

And rear? I drove a new FJ and my ride is different no doubt at all, Toyota replaced both rears as one leaked but its still not right
    Agree on the costs.....just can't justify it at 20k+ ..maybe the Bilsteins at 10k but I also need tyres so will have to see
    FJC - Just Cruising

Rear are still fine but will probably also replace with KYB. I plan to fit airhelpers as well
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

When I got my hilux in 2016 I immediately began looking into suspension. I don't get as much overlanding done as I would like but do a lot of camping around Cederberg and pull my bass boat all over the show to fish. My main reason for doing a small lift, was cosmetics. I prefer the bakkie to ride closer to level. I also wanted to comfortably fit (one profile size bigger) 265/70R17 BFG ATs although I have seen this done without a lift.

Looking at the price of the upgrades through normal channels had me confirming it was more of a want than a need... Then I gave Mikem a call, and ended up settling on new coils and bilsteins up front, for around 45mm lift, and just some extended shackles for around 35 at the back. Front coils and shocks were around R8k. Shackles R1.5k odd. Bakkie sits perfectly level when loaded with all the camping gear and boat hitched.

In terms of the Bilstein performance up front: I'm more than happy with them, I'm not someone to rally raid my R500k+ bakkie so won't comment on their performance in terms of roadholding on corrugated roads at the limit of traction! But to me the damping seems good. Absorb took of corrugations is what you'd expect, bumps and washouts handled easily when light, bit more violently when heavy, and if way too fast, you get a pretty civilised bottom-out. Low speed compression damping under heavy braking is pretty good, but let's be honest, an emergency braking situation in an unladen hilux with have the bakkie just about standing on its front wheels, with the ebd working overtime on those back wheels, regardless of your suspension choice.

As for Toyota rear suspension with extended shackles. No hassles. Handles everything I have thrown at it without issues, comfy with the trailer on, bumpier without.

My advice when I comes to upgrades to a current gen hilux would be as follows... This vehicle is pretty much ready to tackle anything you are likely to throw at it, right out the box. So just understand that anything you spend will mostly yield only small improvements. So weigh up the cost/benefit. For me I wanted a better tyre, also thought they would look better if bigger (and obviously perform better off road, increasing ground clearance, and allowing greater deflation). Lifted the front slightly to accommodate the larger diameter and upgraded to a serviceable damper in the process. As cheap as possible. Did the rear shackles because I figured they were very reasonably priced for a bit of a better breakover/departure angle.

I have dealt with suspension dampers quite a bit and understand a the theory behind the damping and so would say the following. The benefit of aftermarket shocks (the right ones) is that they can be serviced and rebuilt. Which is cheaper than replacing the whole time, and allows one to service more regularly that one would replace. They are also designed to dissapate heat better, prolonging the life of the oil, and providing better damping after extended periods of use. And they can provide a better damping of both the compression and rebound strikes. To quantify this benefit is pretty hard:

A set of fox shocks is probably about as good as it gets. You can get piggy back reservoirs to increase the oil quantity and also control high and low speed, as well as rebound damping settings... But for the examples in this thread, at around R25k they will have better damping than stock across the board. What does this mean to the average hilux driver cruising a dirt road? You can go a bit faster in comfort. When doing serious 4x4 obstacle work, only the benefit of increased approach, breakover, and departure angles due to the lift. On road, slightly reduced body roll, improved nose dive under braking, and better small and large bump absorption. Is all this worth the price?? You decide, I suppose it depends on how much money you are willing to spend...

Apologies, that ended up being way longer than intended!
    Big John

Hilux Revo 4x4 A/T

Fleeing Zimbo refugee, out the pot and into the frying pan!
    Civ Eng working in construction,
    Self proclaimed outdoorsman:
    Fishing addict, camper, shotgun shooter, and MTB weekend warrior

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I dont know hey... Grips still drives a Ford
    Hey I will never let go of the Yank Ranger. Think I have owned more Toyota`s than many Toyota Die-Hards

With the Cruisers I do not rely on the dealers, the Dealers were my problem
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

My 4 x Fox shocks with Fox springs upfront are on order for a 2018 Hilux D/C. I will report back once fitted, but that will only be in around 3 weeks (can't get there until then). I am looking to extract maximum comfort from the vehicle and believe that Fox is as good as it gets.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QuQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    When I got my hilux in 2016 I immediately began looking into suspension. I don't get as much overlanding done as I would like but do a lot of camping around Cederberg and pull my bass boat all over the show to fish. My main reason for doing a small lift, was cosmetics. I prefer the bakkie to ride closer to level. I also wanted to comfortably fit (one profile size bigger) 265/70R17 BFG ATs although I have seen this done without a lift.

Looking at the price of the upgrades through normal channels had me confirming it was more of a want than a need... Then I gave Mikem a call, and ended up settling on new coils and bilsteins up front, for around 45mm lift, and just some extended shackles for around 35 at the back. Front coils and shocks were around R8k. Shackles R1.5k odd. Bakkie sits perfectly level when loaded with all the camping gear and boat hitched.

In terms of the Bilstein performance up front: I'm more than happy with them, I'm not someone to rally raid my R500k+ bakkie so won't comment on their performance in terms of roadholding on corrugated roads at the limit of traction! But to me the damping seems good. Absorb took of corrugations is what you'd expect, bumps and washouts handled easily when light, bit more violently when heavy, and if way too fast, you get a pretty civilised bottom-out. Low speed compression damping under heavy braking is pretty good, but let's be honest, an emergency braking situation in an unladen hilux with have the bakkie just about standing on its front wheels, with the ebd working overtime on those back wheels, regardless of your suspension choice.

As for Toyota rear suspension with extended shackles. No hassles. Handles everything I have thrown at it without issues, comfy with the trailer on, bumpier without.

My advice when I comes to upgrades to a current gen hilux would be as follows... This vehicle is pretty much ready to tackle anything you are likely to throw at it, right out the box. So just understand that anything you spend will mostly yield only small improvements. So weigh up the cost/benefit. For me I wanted a better tyre, also thought they would look better if bigger (and obviously perform better off road, increasing ground clearance, and allowing greater deflation). Lifted the front slightly to accommodate the larger diameter and upgraded to a serviceable damper in the process. As cheap as possible. Did the rear shackles because I figured they were very reasonably priced for a bit of a better breakover/departure angle.

I have dealt with suspension dampers quite a bit and understand a the theory behind the damping and so would say the following. The benefit of aftermarket shocks (the right ones) is that they can be serviced and rebuilt. Which is cheaper than replacing the whole time, and allows one to service more regularly that one would replace. They are also designed to dissapate heat better, prolonging the life of the oil, and providing better damping after extended periods of use. And they can provide a better damping of both the compression and rebound strikes. To quantify this benefit is pretty hard:

A set of fox shocks is probably about as good as it gets. You can get piggy back reservoirs to increase the oil quantity and also control high and low speed, as well as rebound damping settings... But for the examples in this thread, at around R25k they will have better damping than stock across the board. What does this mean to the average hilux driver cruising a dirt road? You can go a bit faster in comfort. When doing serious 4x4 obstacle work, only the benefit of increased approach, breakover, and departure angles due to the lift. On road, slightly reduced body roll, improved nose dive under braking, and better small and large bump absorption. Is all this worth the price?? You decide, I suppose it depends on how much money you are willing to spend...

Apologies, that ended up being way longer than intended!
    Excellent post👍
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
    There is more to this than just aftermarket suspension. Are you telling us the full story?

Did you lift it?

A lift can make the ride harsher.

Did you fit aftermarket rims and tyres? Those can also affect the ride.

What brand did you fit? Not all products are equal.

When you changed your suspension, what was the outcome or issue you wanted to resolve?
    I had spacers in front, longer shackles at the rear. Ride was still the same, lekker lekker.

So I then opted to remove, and fit complete suspension. I went with normal front, not medium or hard, cause I did not have a aftermarket bumper or winch or anything. Rear was Medium. This included an extra leaf spring, because I sometimes do load, and had a 70 liter extra diesel tank at the rear.

Yes the bakkie then had the same ride height as with spacers and shackles. They lift the front with little rings under the coil, that compresses the coil, making it harder. The bakkie was so hard you could not drive it. Going over a speedbump, it would shoot the nose back into the air at speed.

So we removed ALL the rings under the coil, the nose went down, ride was still rock solid. So I took bakkie in, had the extra blade removed. And it was retentioned to the right specs of basically the stock leaf springs. Still rock hard. When towing a small trailer, when the trailer bounced on the road, it would bounce the rear of Hilux up and down. After a 300km towing a trailer, that night my back hurt so much I could not sleep. When you see a bump in the road ahead, you move forward on the seat to try and avoid spinal injury. Keep in mind, all 4 BF Goodrich tyres at 1.6bar.... If you were Chuck Norris, you wouldve dared try driving the tyres at 2bar.

I was told by LAS, that the OME suspension was even harder, and that it ripps the front shocks out of the body, so in saying that, I was told to be glad mine is just a little hard

Long story short, that suspension ruined my bakkie. I stripped my moer last week and the first Toyota Dealer I could find it was traded in on a new Hilux, with stock suspension that will stay that way until I sell it again

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wacked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wacked View Post
    I had spacers in front, longer shackles at the rear. Ride was still the same, lekker lekker.

So I then opted to remove, and fit complete suspension. I went with normal front, not medium or hard, cause I did not have a aftermarket bumper or winch or anything. Rear was Medium. This included an extra leaf spring, because I sometimes do load, and had a 70 liter extra diesel tank at the rear.

Yes the bakkie then had the same ride height as with spacers and shackles. They lift the front with little rings under the coil, that compresses the coil, making it harder. The bakkie was so hard you could not drive it. Going over a speedbump, it would shoot the nose back into the air at speed.

So we removed ALL the rings under the coil, the nose went down, ride was still rock solid. So I took bakkie in, had the extra blade removed. And it was retentioned to the right specs of basically the stock leaf springs. Still rock hard. When towing a small trailer, when the trailer bounced on the road, it would bounce the rear of Hilux up and down. After a 300km towing a trailer, that night my back hurt so much I could not sleep. When you see a bump in the road ahead, you move forward on the seat to try and avoid spinal injury. Keep in mind, all 4 BF Goodrich tyres at 1.6bar.... If you were Chuck Norris, you wouldve dared try driving the tyres at 2bar.

I was told by LAS, that the OME suspension was even harder, and that it ripps the front shocks out of the body, so in saying that, I was told to be glad mine is just a little hard

Long story short, that suspension ruined my bakkie. I stripped my moer last week and the first Toyota Dealer I could find it was traded in on a new Hilux, with stock suspension that will stay that way until I sell it again
    You didnít mention the brand and model springs and dampers.
    Civil Engineer
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD CC
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 MT DC

I put spacers in the front of the Hilux now its level. I also put on Maxis AT tyres 265/70/17. Ride is exelent on dirt roads here in the cedarberg. Clock is also much more accurate. Presure is 1.8. Happy chappy.
    My opinion is that one don't need to spend a lot of money on suspention rather get decent tyres. I will never use bfg at because of it hard ride and price. It does have other advantages but not for me.
    Last edited by Sandveld; 2018/06/13 at 07:54 PM.
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

I put spacers in the front of the Hilux now its level. I also put on Maxis AT tyres 265/70/17. Ride is exelent on dirt roads here in the cedarberg. Clock is also much more accurate. Presure is 1.8. Happy chappy.
    My opinion is that one don't need to spend a lot of money on suspention rather get decent tyres. I will never use bfg at because of it hard ride and price. It does have other advantages but not for me.
    Sandveld, I would respectfully caution against the use of spacers... It has been quite widely covered in threads before (can't remember whether it was here or over at newhilux.net) spacers are an affordable way to achieve lift, I agree. But obviously your suspension travel is still the same. It's quite tricky to explain, but as you have now moved the top of the strut downwards, if you don't extend the bump stop downwards by the same amount, when the vehicle bottoms out, it bottoms out on the shock, as opposed to the bump stop. At best this will wear out the shock faster (much faster if you drive bad roads often), at worst it can fail completely and break, the consequences of which could be quite disastrous. I have never had a failure, but before I started doing my homework on this, I couldn't work out why my folks' D4D with spacers was going through stock shocks so fast (the bakkie drives on fairly horrid roads in Zim pretty regularly). Removed the spacers and installed longer spring and shock, and problem solved. Not sure who fitted your spacers for you, or whether you did it yourself, but you should extend your bump stops as a minimum measure.
    Big John

Hilux Revo 4x4 A/T

Fleeing Zimbo refugee, out the pot and into the frying pan!
    Civ Eng working in construction,
    Self proclaimed outdoorsman:
    Fishing addict, camper, shotgun shooter, and MTB weekend warrior

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:

You didnít mention the brand and model springs and dampers.
    Its the LA Sport Profender branded front and rear shocks, with their coils and leaf springs.

Quote Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
    I am posting this because when it came to deciding what after market suspension to put on my Hilux i could find very little in the way of unbiased advice.

In a Hilux I have had OME, TJM, LAS profender and driven one with IRON man. In a PRADO , original and OME. In a Fortuner OME. They are all good, with their own particular character. Some firmer, some softer but to be honest I was never entirely happy with the all round package. LAS profender on the hilux probably my personal favourite and original on the PRADO (OME destroyed the ride character IMO)
    Had you tried the Bilsteins?

Iím fitting a set of the rear fox 2.0 dampers to my Hilux on Friday.

The rear are very reasonably priced compared to the front.

Will give you details , photos and what I spent then.
    Did you manage to fit the FOX shocks yet?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 iMT
    2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDi
    2019 Bush Lapa Miskruier BL1861

Did they only re valve the front?

What was the cost?
    Yes front only. Not sure of cost yet, but I dont expect anything too serious.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast