Silent generator for bush wedding

Default Silent generator for bush wedding

I hope I am in the right place, but please point me in the right direction if not. I remember a similar question being asked a year or so ago, but can't seem to find it.

I know that "silent" and "generator" can't really be used in the same sentence, but I thought I would ask anyway. How "silent" are these inverter type generators? Specifically the smaller ones?

Our wedding is in October and the ceremony is in the bush. We need power for the +-40mins of the ceremony for the sound system. Ideally I would have liked to use a battery and inverter system, but it seems like the size needed is impossible to find - DJ only told me that a 2.5KVA generator will work. I would obviously try to put the generator as far away as possible from the ceremony, but really don't want the noise of a generator in the background the whole time.

So, are these small inverter type generators really silent and does anyone know where in Pretoria/Centurion area I can rent one?

Thanks!

Phillip

Default Re: Silent generator for bush wedding

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipD View Post
    I hope I am in the right place, but please point me in the right direction if not. I remember a similar question being asked a year or so ago, but can't seem to find it.

I know that "silent" and "generator" can't really be used in the same sentence, but I thought I would ask anyway. How "silent" are these inverter type generators? Specifically the smaller ones?

Our wedding is in October and the ceremony is in the bush. We need power for the +-40mins of the ceremony for the sound system. Ideally I would have liked to use a battery and inverter system, but it seems like the size needed is impossible to find - DJ only told me that a 2.5KVA generator will work. I would obviously try to put the generator as far away as possible from the ceremony, but really don't want the noise of a generator in the background the whole time.

So, are these small inverter type generators really silent and does anyone know where in Pretoria/Centurion area I can rent one?

Thanks!

Phillip
    Seeing as you do not want to camp with it, I'm sure you'd get some answers

What does the ceremony entail? If it is only speech and maybe a music track or two, then a small system running from an inverter is sure to do the job, depending on the size of the group.

If the above is not an option, then Honda's EU30i or similar will work, when it runs under low load, it runs at low RPM and is very quiet - if you were too put it some distance away, it won't be intrusive at all.

Try www.eventpower.co.za, well known. They will have what you need. Talk to Redge.
    Last edited by An3s; 2018/05/28 at 02:34 PM.
    ZS6VL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Well planning a wedding in the bush, I suppose you can use any generator. If you are the only guests. If not then perhaps invite the rest of the guests.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Not experienced with this, but I've also heard that it makes a huge difference if you can dig a hole about a meter deep and have the inside. I'm sure if this is done some distance away it will help.
    André Opperman
    We live in an age of false history and bold lies told by artful political entrepreneurs to a younger generation that cannot be motivated to learn and understand its own history. - Songezo Zibi.

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Not experienced with this, but I've also heard that it makes a huge difference if you can dig a hole about a meter deep and have the inside. I'm sure if this is done some distance away it will help.
    The Honda inverter jobbies are quiet. I have done a small PA setup with the EU30i, you can have a normal conversation right next to it while it is running. No excavation work needed
    ZS6VL

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

I went through this mission before our wedding - we had ours in the bush - in Kruger Park.

The ceremony worked with no PA system, the minister had a really good, projecting voice, but then also, the bush is really quiet, so that should be fine.

For the reception, we used a piece of kit called an Ion Block Rocker. Google it.

It worked perfectly - it has the microphone facility for the speeches, and the battery life is amazing - it lasted the whole night at full volume with no problem. Ok, its not going to blow your hair back with volume, but it was perfect for our 100+ wedding to dance the night away in a cloud of dust!

This was four years back now, so maybe Ion makes an even more powerful speaker now.

Let me know if you want any more info.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I went through this mission before our wedding - we had ours in the bush - in Kruger Park.

The ceremony worked with no PA system, the minister had a really good, projecting voice, but then also, the bush is really quiet, so that should be fine.

For the reception, we used a piece of kit called an Ion Block Rocker. Google it.

It worked perfectly - it has the microphone facility for the speeches, and the battery life is amazing - it lasted the whole night at full volume with no problem. Ok, its not going to blow your hair back with volume, but it was perfect for our 100+ wedding to dance the night away in a cloud of dust!

This was four years back now, so maybe Ion makes an even more powerful speaker now.

Let me know if you want any more info.
    There are many battery powered small PA setups. Make it the DJ's problem.
    ZS6VL

I did a 60th party in the bush. I ran a PA/music system and LED lights on the dance floor area. We started the party at around 5pm and ran until about 2am the next morning. I used 3x 102A/H batteries in parallel with a 1000 Watt sine wave inverter (Cotex)
    At around the 2am is when power went "no more" so we simply called it a day ...

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Thank you very much for all the responses.

I agree that it should be the DJ's problem to sort out the power, but I can guarantee that the future SWAMBO will not be blaming him for the foreseeable future if there is no power...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    I did a 60th party in the bush. I ran a PA/music system and LED lights on the dance floor area. We started the party at around 5pm and ran until about 2am the next morning. I used 3x 102A/H batteries in parallel with a 1000 Watt sine wave inverter (Cotex)
    At around the 2am is when power went "no more" so we simply called it a day ...
    Hi Dave

Is it your 1000W inverter or did you rent it from somewhere? Do you know where I could rent one? (batteries are easy to source, but these larger inverters are not so easy to find)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

An idling car is a lot quieter. Especially a petrol.

Take an inverter along and connect to idling car.

You really want music for a bush wedding?
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Quote Originally Posted by staalwol View Post
    Thanks. I gave them a call but they no longer have this particular service.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    You really want music for a bush wedding?
    Like I said, this is for the ceremony of +- 40mins. So it will be for the wedding mach and the microphone for the priest.

get a new dj who understands the requirements

the simplistic answer he gave shows he has no clue/flexibility of meeting a client's needs

you have no need for that type of power for your needs

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    get a new dj who understands the requirements

the simplistic answer he gave shows he has no clue/flexibility of meeting a client's needs

you have no need for that type of power for your needs
    Agreed! There are many small portable PAs that have built-in batteries, some small PA amps also accept 12V. The requirement is 2 minutes of music and 40 minutes of speech. That is nothing.
    ZS6VL