Hermanus R43 closed at Hawston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hermanus R43 closed at Hawston

Protests are continuing

R43 still closed between Hawston and Fisherhaven. Committee handed in Memorandum and feedback was given to the unruly crowd. Stones and a petrol bomb have been thrown and the situation remains tense. Arrests have been made.

Access to Hermanus via Caledon and Stanford is all clear.'

Pic shows tyres arriving in a bakkie for burning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/05/25 at 01:24 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: Hermanus R43 closed at Hawston

Went to visit my mom in Hermanus this morning, fortunately took the Zook.
    Had to use Karwyders Kraal road, in 4x4 the Jimny just sails over the corrugations & 60 - 70 Km/h.
    On the way back tried the normal route, got stopped at the last Onrust turnoff.
    Commented to the the official there that I should have brought my rifle with.
    Person replied, "with live ammo please".
    Seems they sometimes get hammered by the public, like the riot is their fault ?

This situation is like a pot of cooking oil beginning to boil over, sooner or later there is going to be a BIG fire....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Police need to impound these vehicles used to deliver tyres. I was planning to take a drive to get some good wines there this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Sechaba View Post
    Police need to impound these vehicles used to deliver tyres. I was planning to take a drive to get some good wines there this weekend
    Since the police is not allowed to do much harm to them. I suggest a new thing to get rid of all protesters. Water cannons that shoots shitwater at them. Protests will quickly end as people will run for the showers amd wont risk a second time. No one is injured and the protests end.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Since the police is not allowed to do much harm to them. I suggest a new thing to get rid of all protesters. Water cannons that shoots shitwater at them. Protests will quickly end as people will run for the showers amd wont risk a second time. No one is injured and the protests end.
    But police have a right to impound a vehicle that is used to commit crime.

And now the main road into Hermanus itself will be closed on Monday........

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    And now the main road into Hermanus itself will be closed on Monday........
    You need to post your source ?

Total shut down Monday

Zwelihle Renewal leadership has confirmed that a shutdown of Hermanus is planned for Monday.
    NOTICE BY ZWELIHLE RENEWAL:
    "The community took a decision for total shutdown on Monday, in support of one of its leaders Gcobani Ndzongana in court. Two charges against Ndzongana are opened by a ward councilor Michelle Sapepa and Masibulele Jimlongo. The community viewing the charges as an attempt to silence Ndzongana, who's been vocal and in the forefront to fight for justice and equality.
    We are inspired by the spirit of No Retreat No Surrender!"

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    They did this in Naas about 20miles outside dublin many years back. (My family comes from there)

Coaches that bussed in the protestors refused to take them back so they had a 20mile walk back home smelling like sewer rats.

Seemed to work then.

My source are the people on the ground, the ones who would like to come to work, but are threatened with the burning of their houses, and death, if they do so.
    The ones that are so scared of the thugs, that they never will go to the police.

In my mind that justifies the use of live ammunition for use against violent protests.
    The more you give an inch, the more they demand a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    My source are the people on the ground, the ones who would like to come to work, but are threatened with the[B]burning of their houses, and death[B], if they do so.
    The ones that are so scared of the thugs, that they never will go to the police.

In my mind that justifies the use of live ammunition for use against violent protests.
    The more you give an inch, the more they demand a yard.
    Nah poo water is the best. Live ammo will spark more outrage and that will really endanger peoples lives and businesses. Hit them with a poo water cannon,those that still resist will get the special less diluted "sludge cannon"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:

Live ammo means fewer and fewer protesters as the protests go on .....

Stanford as well

Overstrand Municipality:

:

1. SAPS are taking the threats of protest action proposed by Zwehile Renewal for tomorrow very seriously.
    2. Meetings are currently in progress and authorities are doing everything possible to resolve and avert the action from taking place. 3. We will give you feedback as the information becomes available.
    4. We confirm that the Stanford community will be marching to hand in a memorandum to their municipality and there will be disruptions to traffic on the R43 between Gansbaai and Stanford, however the route between Stanford and Hermanus should not be affected.

Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/05/27 at 06:48 PM.

Update

Hermanus CPF notification 27/05/18 at 18h30 : the CPF confirms that a community march from Zwelihle to the Magistrate Court will take place tomorrow, however we are not expecting a complete lockdown of CBD.

The R43 should be clear for the early morning traffic, and closed in sections later in the morning as the march proceeds. There are rumours of Zwelihle being in lockdown in the morning, it is not certain that workers from Zwelihle will be able to get to work.

The R43 will be closed between Stanford and Gansbaai but the route between Stanford and Hermanus is expected to be open. All other routes are expected to be clear.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/05/27 at 07:57 PM.

Hermanus CPF update 28/05/18 at 05h30 : all access roads into Hermanus are open.

Some internal Zwelihle Roads are blocked. Swartdam, between Mbeki and Church, is closed. Access to Beach Club is open.

R43 is open to traffic all the way from Hermanus to Gansbaai

• Strong police presence in all affected areas.

Cars stoned

R43 between R326 Stanford intersection and Grootbos turnoff temporarily closed due to vehicles being stoned. Proceed with caution, traffic officials are on the scene to direct traffic.

Crowd gathering at taxi rank. Swartdam Rd closed between Mbeki and Still St, access to Beach Club is open via Church. some reports received of workers being prevented from going to work. All access roads to Hermanus open.

There is a strong SAPS and Law Enforcement presence in affected areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Cars stoned

R43 between R326 Stanford intersection and Grootbos turnoff temporarily closed due to vehicles being stoned. Proceed with caution, traffic officials are on the scene to direct traffic.

Crowd gathering at taxi rank. Swartdam Rd closed between Mbeki and Still St, access to Beach Club is open via Church. some reports received of workers being prevented from going to work. All access roads to Hermanus open.

There is a strong SAPS and Law Enforcement presence in affected areas.
    Best to avoid these areas until this blows over .... if possible.

Feel sorry for those that have to drive these roads, and risk their cars and lives ....

We have postponed a number of site visits due to the current situation in the Cape Flats ....

Not nice when your work is impacted. But at least we are in a position to wait it out ...

That said, today's trip may well be 30 minutes longer as I need to drive around the hot spots ....

Situation in Stanford remains tense.

"Not nice when your work is impacted"

Especially if you don't work for a fixed monthly salary - what those that are organizing this don't bear in mind (or don't care about?) is that it is their own people that are being affected the most. The domestic workers, the contract workers, the temporary workers, the farm workers, all who cannot get to their places of employment and thus don't get paid.

I live between Caledon and Hermanus and have watched this for the past 2 weeks or so: A hamster on a wheel comes to mind - they riot (sorry "protest peacefully"). Therefore they march, they mess, they loot, they stone, they burn. They then get klapped by SAPS, they run, they complain, they reorganize. They meet with the Municipality, they hand over a memorandum, they shake hands, they say problems resolved, they go home, they re-think, they re-strategize. 2 Days later they march, they mess, they loot..... AD NAUSEUM.

I believe there is a definite element at work here that has a hidden agenda/ulterior motive. I give 2 examples of why I say this:

Firstly, prior to the protests in Hermanus a week or so ago I counted 18 buses, filled to the brim, entering Zwelihle. If local residents have a legitimate reason to complain and march and the whole community feels thus, why the necessity for busing in extra "bodies"?

Secondly this morning in Stanford the school bus that picks up learners at "Die Skema" (the local informal settlement) was stoned. Windows were shattered and children had to be treated for cuts caused by flying glass and blunt force trauma caused by rocks. If the protesters were members of the local community, would they have stoned a bus carrying their own children

I fear we are going to see more and more of this kind of incident/behavior up until the elections in 2019. Especially in the Western Cape.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast