I'm sorry, this is probably a very basic question, but I am new to Africa travel, and completely new traveling there by my own vehicle (first time).

I have a local friend in Malawi with her own car registered in Malawi. We plan to take that car (a Toyota Kluger) over the border into Tanzania crossing on the road to Mbeya.

I am curious to hear first hand what exactly I need and what exactly it will cost.

I believe she has insurance for her vehicle, but it is probably Malawi insurance for Malawi...

We will not have a carnet.

I think we need a TIP, insurance, road tax , not sure what else, and not sure what these items might cost.... Can I get all of them at the border (i.e. insurance)?

Thank you for any help,