Defender Defender TD5 waterpump housing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Defender TD5 waterpump housing

After hearing my LBB scream a few days ago about low water, I spent some time today trying to find the source of the leak.

The clamp on the waterpump housing was old and it seems as if it's been seeping out there for a while, lots of calcium (I think) buildup on the pipe which has led to pitting on the surface.
    I pulled the pipe off and cleaned up the surface before re-attaching the hose.

Can the water pump cover be replaced without needing to remove the oil rotor filter etc?

Attached a picture of the 'neck' where the pipe joins, before I drained the coolant and cleaned it. I did check the coolant and inside the pipes it doesn't look contaminated.

Default Re: Defender TD5 waterpump housing

Here's a photo of where the leak was
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To clarify I didn't re-use the coolant but checked to see if it was contaminated before filling up with new fluids

Pitting like that, if I remember correctly is caused by using the incorrect spec of antifreeze.

I always used the castrol premix one, pink in colour. Cant remember the exact name right now.

Will check the workshop manual tomorrow for you just to familiarise myself with the water pump and where it sits.

Haven't worked on my TD5 since I sold her about two years ago.

Will report back in the morning.

Did this job a few weeks ago. Best to remove oil rotor and oil filter to get enough working space.
    1999 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5
    2003 Yamaha YZ250
    1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 3 inch Pro comp, TBS, Powerflow, MT's 10x9.5 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanR View Post
    Did this job a few weeks ago. Best to remove oil rotor and oil filter to get enough working space.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    Pitting like that, if I remember correctly is caused by using the incorrect spec of antifreeze.

I always used the castrol premix one, pink in colour. Cant remember the exact name right now.

Will check the workshop manual tomorrow for you just to familiarise myself with the water pump and where it sits.

Haven't worked on my TD5 since I sold her about two years ago.

Will report back in the morning.
    The anti-freeze that drained was green, I hope this is correct? (experts please assist)
    The I checked the coolant pipe and put my finger into the water pump cover, there was no pitting or mess. My Lady is almost 20 years old and I'm not sure how long its been 'sweating' at this joint - hopefully just old age
    Last edited by miks.; 2018/05/25 at 11:47 AM.

The colour is unfortunately not really an indication of which type it is.

But the correct spec is an extended life coolant with Organic acid technology( usually abbreviated to OAT)

The one I use and have never had any issues with is Castrol Radicool SF premix, pink in colour has OAT and no need to bother with getting the correct ratios as it is already mixed with distilled water. So just add it and forget for the next 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by miks. View Post
    The anti-freeze that drained was green, I hope this is correct? (experts please assist)
    The I checked the coolant pipe and put my finger into the water pump cover, there was no pitting or mess. My Lady is almost 20 years old and I'm not sure how long its been 'sweating' at this joint - hopefully just old age

Have just checked the workshop manual and although it suggests removing the centrifuge filter. I have done it without removing it. But for the price of the gasket of the centrifuge filter I would just take it off.

The manual also says you must remove the turbo to get the centrifuge out, but with a little patience it can be done without removing the turbo.

Hope you come right.

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    Have just checked the workshop manual and although it suggests removing the centrifuge filter. I have done it without removing it. But for the price of the gasket of the centrifuge filter I would just take it off.

The manual also says you must remove the turbo to get the centrifuge out, but with a little patience it can be done without removing the turbo.

Hope you come right.
    Thanks for the info!
    Will get to it over the weekend hopefully

Can anyone assist with a part number for radiator hoses, I cant find online.

The hose I'm looking to replace goes from the water pump to the thermostat, and has a thinner piece which branches off and loops under the car.
    Reason for replacing the hose is that I see it's been slightly nicked by a pulley so may as well replace while busy

After waiting for parts and not having time, I've got everything I need for the job.

I went into my local 'Midas" and asked for 10L of distilled water so that I can flush and replace the cooling system. The salesman was adamant that this is distilled water but I'm unsure and do not want to proceed unless I know it is correct.

Is this product distilled/deionised water? Can it go in my Td5.

Picture of product

You can get distilled water at Dischem.
    As all distilled water is corrosive, I would try and flush it out best I can with normal water and blow it out clean with pressurised air.
    It worked for me very well in the past.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

That is distilled water, it is used to top up batteries.

Often confused with battery acid, but that is a whole different ball game.

What do you intend to use it for, are you Purley going to do a flush and if so do you plan to mix it with something, radiator flush etc.

Or are you going to use that to mix with the anti-freeze concentrate?

I plan on flushing out the cooling system after replacing the hose and water pump cover.

Then once it has been properly flushed, drain it, and replace with new coolant and distilled water (as opposed to tap water).

I would flush with a product like radiator flush and regular reverse osmosis water, this is not as pure as distilled water but pretty close and less than a quarter of the price.

Once the flush is done then use either the distilled and anti-freeze concentrate or you can use a premix anti-freeze.

PremixI use in my td5 was castrol radicool sf premix, pretty pink colour, comes in white 5 litre bottle with blue label.

I often find the premix is cheaper as the amount of distilled water you need adds up pretty quick. So maybe just compare prices.
    I plan on flushing out the cooling system after replacing the hose and water pump cover.

Then once it has been properly flushed, drain it, and replace with new coolant and distilled water (as opposed to tap water).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nedge For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the informative responce @nedge

20. The Following User Says Thank You to miks. For This Useful Post:

Anytime, glad to help.

What I forgot to mention is give the system a good flush with a hose pipe after you have drained the radiator flush.

Wait for the engine to cool, do this so you don't put the engine block under any sort of thermal shock. Disconnect the pipes to the thermostat, otherwise it will restrict the flow. And flush the sysyem until all the water run out clear.

Will have to flush from engine side as well as the radiator side once the thermostat is disconnected. Don't forget the expansion bottle.

Once that is done, go ahead and fit everything back together and then fill away with your choice of anti-freeze.

Good luck.

Thank you for the informative responce @nedge

The bolts on the waterpump cover were a pain to remove and I ended up breaking one, turning my 3 hour job into a few days.
    Broke the bolt on Friday afternoon and by that time it was too late to make a plan.

Is the seal that sits between the waterpump cover and the waterpump available sepparately?
    The waterpump still looks fine but I'd rather replace this seal while it is all open as I don't want to have to do this all again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast