Defender Defender TD5 waterpump housing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Defender TD5 waterpump housing

If I was you, seeing as you have got his far rather replace the water pump.

They do have a tendency to start weeping from the little hole in the bottom.

You can then keep your old one as a spare.

Should be able to get the seal separate.

You're right... I've already spent so much time taking things off it would be silly not to replace important things while I'm at it.
    Replaced the waterpump today along with new seals. Also replaced the waterpump cover bolts, centrifugal o-ring, centrifugal drain gasket, filter cover bolts and the coolant elblow piece.

I'm battling to get my viscous fan off. Got the spanner from Dover but cant get the nut to crack off, is there something I'm missing? There is a set of spanners online where one holds the pulley and another cracks the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by miks. View Post
    I'm battling to get my viscous fan off. Got the spanner from Dover but cant get the nut to crack off, is there something I'm missing?
    Miks.
    Remember that the nut loosen up clockwise, I think...

Regards,
    Suid-Wes
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

Hi Miks,

The viscous fan can become tight over time and as was said it is a reverse thread. It loosens in the direction oposit to the direction the engine turns.

If you cant hold the pulley tight enough with the tension of the belt, you can try holding one of the nuts that secures the pulley, think it's a 12 spanner.

Also when reassembling, add a little copper slip to the viscous bolt, will help in future. No need to tighten it a lot as the spinning of the engine keeps it thight whilst driving.

Good luck.
    You're right... I've already spent so much time taking things off it would be silly not to replace important things while I'm at it.
    Replaced the waterpump today along with new seals. Also replaced the waterpump cover bolts, centrifugal o-ring, centrifugal drain gasket, filter cover bolts and the coolant elblow piece.

I'm battling to get my viscous fan off. Got the spanner from Dover but cant get the nut to crack off, is there something I'm missing? There is a set of spanners online where one holds the pulley and another cracks the nut.

According to the Land Rover manual it is RIGHT HAND THREAD on the Td5. I think the earlier Tdi motors were left hand thread due to the motor direction of rotation. The two spanners are used together to break the nip on the fan. One has holes that go over the heads of the small bolts on the pulley and this is held in place by the other spanner. There is a sketch of the spanners in the manual under the cooling system.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Finally got it off with the spanner from Dover.

Managed to get the job done last week, quite a bit of work.
    Replaced: waterpump, waterpump cover + bolts, radiator hose (waterpump to thermostat), centrifugal housing o-ring, centrifugal drain gasket on sump + nuts, turbo oil return gasket, centrifugal filter cover bolts, flushed out and replaced coolant, turbo hose (turbo to intercooler elbow), many jubilee clips, coolant outlet elbow + gasket, fixed turbo heat shield and cleaned the engine.

Landy is very happy now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2