Successful/Unsuccessful Diesel Engine Rebuild Accounts - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Successful/Unsuccessful Diesel Engine Rebuild Accounts

I have rebuilt a few diesel engines myself. John Deere, Massey Ford, Isuzu, etc.
    Done properly they last just as well as a new engine.
    The biggest problem comes with the run-in period. Diesel engines need to be run in correctly and under load, to remove the stresses from the steels. Conventional engine basics, have not changed for the past 50 years or more. What has happened is that a 1000HP engine do not stand 30ft high anymore but the basics are still the same.
    There will always be a small percentage of rebuilt and new engines that do not last. Turned bearings on cranks, conrods and cranks that break. Sleeves that move or crack in the block. Rings that break. Injectors that fail. Dirt in a oil gallery.
    The biggest thing with a rebuild is to start off with good condition components.
    A cam belt/ chain, breaks. Damaging piston and valves. The piston and valves are replaced and repaired and the engine runs for 10k and breaks a conrod? Why? because the conrod was damaged when the pistons hit the valves.
    Engine rebuild need to be done correctly.
    injectors/ injection, need to be calibrated correctly, to prevent snapped cranks etc.
    Rebuilding diesel engines is a science/ not a hobby!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Having seen and been involved in a good few re-builds I'm with Sakkie et al. Unless the engine was specifically made to hamper or eliminate effective re-building, or has a design flaw; it can be done. I watched that bearded refugee from Gas Monkey Garage going to the Detroit Diesel plant where they re-build million mile engines for, presumably, another million miles. I've seen quite big generator engines being re-built after around 60 000 operating hours; it's massively impressive and I was told that you cannot tell the difference between a new one. These engines are all test run and you get a power, efficiency, emissions and fuel consumption certificate with them. The measuring systems used are amazing but without being ridiculously costly and that is where there have been huge improvements with lasers etc (if you are idle Google what companies like Faro can do). In a sense Fluffy is also right because every bit of electrically related stuff is replaced; every wire, plc, operating screen, circuit breaker and board. Turbo's can be re-built but are usually new or service exchange.

At the opposite end of the scale dirt bike engines are re-built regularly, right down to re Nikasil'ing; ja, a few people do it in SA. I was chatting to someone in the week about re-doing Kashima coating - it can be done. Relatively small general aviation engines are re-built all the time and they have to be reliable; although they do stop suddenly on occasion as a result of re-build errors and with unpleasant outcomes. Of course it is all a matter of economics.

Cost and skill is where the rub lies. I don't know of any effective system of qualification in SA so it's pretty much word of mouth. There are some seriously qualified and equipped workshops but my sense is that they are not really supported or encouraged and aren't expanding or replacing skills.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swart Jan View Post
    Herbou van ń Diesel is nie net haal uitmekaar , maak skoon , grind , skim , bore , cut , sit inmekaar met met parte van agente of aftermarket parts nie .
    Hoekom is dit nodig , oorverhit , gebruik olie , vibrasie , valve drop , seized piston because overfuel , water on pistons , snap timming change/belt ect .
    Sodra daar vasgestel is dan aleenlik kan beplan word wat die herbou van die gaan behels , eerstens om koste te bespaar en tweedens om onodige
    engineering werk uit te skakel , want dit is waar die meeste probleem begin by ń onsuksesvolle herbou .
    Elke rede vir ń diesel se herbou verg verskillende benaderings .

Engineering workshops maak geld met , skim , cut , grind , bore en sal alles wil doen al is dit nie nodig nie net om geld te maak , en sodoende verkort die lewe van die engine. Sou daar dalk weer iets gebeur dan kan die engine nie herwin word nie want die lewe is al klaar uit hom gehaal .

Goed die engineering shop het nou alles gedoen is die volgende gedoen ,
    Crankshaft geballenseer,
    Conrods geweeg om om almal se gewig dieselfde te kry
    Pistons geinstalleer , bumper clearence gemeet en reggestel en dan pistons weeg vir dieselfde gewig .
    Flywheel en clutch ass, geballenseer .
    Vibration damper geballenseer .

Dan om ń diesel engine inmekaar te sit en suksesvol te wees kos maar oefening en baie ondervinding , veral waar daar nie van agente se
    onderdel gebruik maak word nie maar die halfprice onderdele van die baie Spareshops .

Dis maar net ń kort opsommig om hoe ń diesel suksesvol oor te doen , vra maar hoekom , waarom , sal kyk of ek antwoorde kan gee .
    Meeste skip die balanseer gedeelte. Dan kry jy manne wat `n auto na manual verander. Plak `n vliegwiel op en daar gaan hy. Selfs nuwe en aftermarket komponente moet saam balanseer word. MAW die hele rotating assy.
    Last edited by grips; 2018/05/26 at 02:07 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Christo gee ons jou mening asb
    Francois n deleted a very long post. Yes some new high tech engines become very hard to recon . I hate the word recon and prefer the word engine rebuild.

First I think people need to follow Stefan van Tonder`s rebuilds. Good example of rebuilding high tech engines.

Then the word tolerance. Few like to constantly quote tolerances. Well here Google wont be your Master. I have rebuild numerous engines from old school to modern VVTI multi valve jobbies. I have mentioned something in an other related thread what only you picked up at that stage clearly showing that people posting about these things get information from the net. Only one that did such a job himself would have picked it up.

Lets get back to tolerances. I wonder how many have compared or even measured tolerances in person on old school and new high tech engines. Some surprises await them. So please when talking tolerances and clearances make sure you just do not quote straight from the net.

I have measured journals and bearing machining on some old cranks that differ less than some new sophisticated engines cranks.

You recon an engine with parts from Midas. You rebuild an engine to OEM specs with OEM parts carefully set to OEM tolerances and clearance. Doing it right you will have an engine as good as new.

O ja, I have find that information regarding engines specs I mean rebuild specs could by fairly inaccurate on the net please only use data in OEM manuals.
    Last edited by grips; 2018/05/26 at 03:57 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    Henris..What engine you refering to?

The OP posted about Diesel engines in particular and not Petrol.
    I also asked for plastgauge a while back. Found it at a Engineering supply shop.
    A lot of engineering companies dont work with it any more due to their computer controlled machines that does all the measurements etc.
    Be it petrol or diesel, is very similar. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. If I guage the bearings, I have the confidence that my oil pressure will be right.

Else you close the engine, on blind faith.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Be it petrol or diesel, is very similar. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. If I guage the bearings, I have the confidence that my oil pressure will be right.

Else you close the engine, on blind faith.
    Ok..that makes it clearer. I agree.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

A friend of mine worked in an engine rebuilding shop. In the beginning the boss measured things and told him things are not in spec. Turned out the boss did not know what tolerances are. If the tolerance said 40 -0.1 /-0.02

He expected it to be 40.000 Not 39.995.

No wonder engines did not last.

Correction 39.985

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3