Wondering about kj

Default Wondering about kj

Hi guys i have a few friends that when i mention jeep kj to them they tell me i must leave it, one says cant get parts for it other one says its unreliable.
    So was just wondering what your guys take is on that.

The wife and i really like them so want to try it out, but i must add i have never driven one yet but have been a passenger.

Thanks rickycName:  Screenshot_20180515-112118.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  29.8 KB

Default Re: Wondering about kj

Can't tell you what you should do but if it's the 3.7 V6 then the KJ I had was very reliable, mates of mine also had KJ's and very reliable - some niggles here and there but nothing major.

Parts are as available as any vehicle that has been sold since 2001 imho. Midas etc have them, Masterparts have them, hell the scrapyard has tons of parts - just do a google search. If that fails Ebay or Amazon.com AA-Online etc etc.
    I reckon it's like most vehicles do your homework, if you find a nice one make sure you check it out properly and follow your gut.

I just bought a 3.7 KK as well I'm hoping I have many happy km's with it.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Here I got some eye candy for you in the meantime

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...KK-pics-thread
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Thanks nox but we where more looking at the diesel bit scared about the fuel bill on the v6

Quote Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
    Thanks nox but we where more looking at the diesel bit scared about the fuel bill on the v6
    Popular opinion here is to stay away from the 2.5 and 2.8 CRD Diesel engines. What you save in fuel you will spend many times over in headache cures on the Diesel.
    However there are those who have shown that not all of them are prone to failure. If you have close access to someone like Bulli on the forum it might be an option.
    Personally I'll stay away from them. The 3.0 CRD Merc diesel in the WK is a different story.
    Last edited by Nox; 2018/05/22 at 11:05 PM.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

And what about the 2.7 merc motor from the grand Cherokee

Yeah Id buy that too.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Hi guys i have a few friends that when i mention jeep kj to them they tell me i must leave it, one says cant get parts for it other one says its unreliable.
    So was just wondering what your guys take is on that.

The wife and i really like them so want to try it out, but i must add i have never driven one yet but have been a passenger.

Thanks rickycName:  Screenshot_20180515-112118.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  29.8 KB
    Kj crd needs a lot of tlc, stick to Petrol or do not buy a Kj.

Spares for the 3.7 are not scarce. Engine is very reliable if serviced properly.
    Let a knowledgeable person drive and evaluate the auto gearbox for you, the gearbox can be expensive to repair.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

I owned a 2.8 diesel for a couple of years
    In SA the diesel engines are considered fragile (have been called hand grenades). The 2.5 more so than the 2.8
    My view was that this was partly because the oil changes were done at 20 000km by dealers under their service plan . In my view diesels need oil changes every 10 000km at most. Secondly the average driver is inclined to use the revs like petrol engine ignoring the massive torque that the turbo generates and allowing the gears to change below 3500 revs
    Mine never really let me down or exploded but the possibility was always in the back of my mind and diminished the pleasure of ownership.
    In America the auto gearboxes are considered suspect. Mine didnt give me problems but every now and then the torque converter would need a nudge (rev) to get it operating normally
    suspension rubber perished prematurely and the car developed a number of creaks and clonks that were untraceable
    judging by what I have seen and read on this forum the thermostat is a regular problem and needs replacing if the needle on the temperature guage doesnt settle at halfway. if it fluctuates and/ or sits at a quarter it needs relacing at around R2000
    the standard vehicle does not have enough ground clearance BUT less fussy people didnt worry and were happy to graunch the car over ridges and rocks, so bash plates/ rock sliders essential for serious offroad use (the oil filter is fairly exposed so many people carry a spare plus an oil can when going offroading)
    In town there is no difference with the petrol in respect of fuel consumption (15 to 17 liters per 100km) On the open road 10 - 11 l per 100km was normal
    Very comfortable ride both on tar and on dirt roads
    very competent 4wd system makes for easy offroad driving(makes even a newbie look competent)
    Engine is very powerful and, mated to the automatic gearbox makes offroad work very easy

I bought an analyser because the engine light would come on regularly for minor things (very sensitive system)

an ergonomic failng was the door and sill design was badly done resulting in passengers clothes getting dirty in wet weather. annoying

sold the vehicle before it let me down
    Last edited by Maartendeneef; 2018/05/23 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added a detail

Quote Originally Posted by Maartendeneef View Post
    In SA the diesel engines are considered fragile (have been called hand grenades). The 2.5 more so than the 2.8
    My view was that this was partly because the oil changes were done at 20 000km by dealers under their service plan . In my view diesels need oil changes every 10 000km at most. Secondly the average driver is inclined to use the revs like petrol engine ignoring the massive torque that the turbo generates and allowing the gears to change below 3500 revs
    Mine never really let me down or exploded but the possibility was always in the back of my mind and diminished the pleasure of ownership.
    In America the auto gearboxes are considered suspect. Mine didnt give me problems but every now and then the torque converter would need a nudge (rev) to get it operating normally
    suspension rubber perished prematurely and the car developed a number of creaks and clonks that were untraceable
    judging by what I have seen and read on this forum the thermostat is a regular problem and needs replacing if the needle on the temperature guage doesnt settle at halfway. if it fluctuates and/ or sits at a quarter it needs relacing at around R2000
    the standard vehicle does not have enough ground clearance BUT less fussy people didnt worry and were happy to graunch the car over ridges and rocks, so bash plates/ rock sliders essential for serious offroad use (the oil filter is fairly exposed so many people carry a spare plus an oil can when going offroading)
    In town there is no difference with the petrol in respect of fuel consumption (15 to 17 liters per 100km) On the open road 10 - 11 l per 100km was normal
    very competent 4wd system makes for easy offroad driving(makes even a newbie look competent)
    Engine is very powerful and, mated to the automatic gearbox makes offroad work very easy

I bought an analyser because the engine light would come on regularly for minor things (very sensitive system)

an ergonomic failng was the door and sill design was badly done resulting in passengers clothes getting dirty in wet weather. annoying

Wow thanks maarten for the sum up, i did say to the wife if we get one it will have to be the petrol coz ive heard of those horror stories aswell so just wanted clarification on which one to buy.

Wow thanks maarten for the sum up, i did say to the wife if we get one it will have to be the petrol coz ive heard of those horror stories aswell so just wanted clarification on which one to buy.
    I have a 2.8CRD auto, very happy with it, economical when you consider the type of vehicle, usually around 11l/100km but as good as 7l/100km on a run. Parts are available from stealers and Bulli's network. Thermostat can be problematical but fit one from a Renault 5 for less than R100. Rides well, equipment good on LTD option. Difficult to beat in terms of Rands per kilogram.

Hi. I own a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) 2006, which I bought second hand with one previous owner import from the UK with 83000 miles on the clock. Everything seemed fine when I bought it for ZAR 95.000 at the time. Now the car has done 104720 miles and I am down almost ZAR 60000 in repairs on the car. Overall a good car but high in petrol consumption up to 27 l per 100 km in town and 12.5 l on long distance tar road at a 120 km speed per hour. Not sure what the previous owner did or better not did but here is a list of repairs:
    1. First the cat had to go out because engine light came on but did not solve he problem. Still need the CO2 sensors to be replaced.
    2. Battery replaced, both shocks front and rear replaced including shock mountings, Mopar Antifreeze replaced, engine oils and filters twice renewed and airfilter twice, spark plugs replaced, gearbox oil and transfer case oil replaced, axle oils replaced, drive belt and water pump replaced, front and rear brake pads replaced, control arm, ball joint and bushes and driveshaft replaced and so on and on. This besides other smaller bills on the car. Oh yes, the custom built in cd player also doesn't last. Now I lost three of the four slipper guides on the rear brake caliper on tour and the brakes rattle. Seems my mechanic does not know how to install them properly. Does anyone have advice for this? They simply fall out or off when driving on gravel road.
    Yes it is a nice car and a good off roader but expensive if you have to by original Mopar parts, especially here in Namibia.
    Last edited by felixheyl; 2018/05/23 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felixheyl View Post
    Hi. I own a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) 2006, which I bought second hand with one previous owner import from the UK with 83000 miles on the clock. Everything seemed fine when I bought it for ZAR 95.000 at the time. Now the car has done 104720 miles and I am down almost ZAR 60000 in repairs on the car. Overall a good car but high in petrol consumption up to 27 l per 100 km in town and 12.5 l on long distance tar road at a 120 km speed per hour. Not sure what the previous owner did or better not did but here is a list of repairs:
    1. First the cat had to go out because engine light came on but did not solve he problem. Still need the CO2 sensors to be replaced.
    2. Battery replaced, both shocks front and rear replaced including shock mountings, Mopar Antifreeze replaced, engine oils and filters twice renewed and airfilter twice, spark plugs replaced, gearbox oil and transfer case oil replaced, axle oils replaced, drive belt and water pump replaced, front and rear brake pads replaced, control arm, ball joint and bushes and driveshaft replaced and so on and on. This besides other smaller bills on the car. Oh yes, the custom built in cd player also doesn't last. Now I lost three of the four slipper guides on the rear brake caliper on tour and the brakes rattle. Seems my mechanic does not know how to install them properly. Does anyone have advice for this? They simply fall out or off when driving on gravel road.
    Yes it is a nice car and a good off roader but expensive if you have to by original Mopar parts, especially here in Namibia.
    About the oils fluids and so on.
    Most of the things you mention is indeed service items. Except the driveshaft and waterpump. You will have those on all vehicles at around 170 000km.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Quote Originally Posted by felixheyl View Post
    Damn thats hectic, i sometimes say that a person bought a dud but like nox says most of that is service parts except for what he mentioned

I had a 2003 KJ, 3.7 Petrol.
    Loved it dearly.
    If I recall correctly I bought it with 130 000kms, and sold it with 190 000kms.
    It never gave me any issues. I serviced it every 10 000kms.
    I would buy one again with no hesitations if it has a full service history and seems well looked after.
    Ball joints should be replaced under the recall on the KJ's though and will cost you nothing if it has not yet been done.
    2008 - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JKU

Quote Originally Posted by Maartendeneef View Post

The above is 90% of what I had to say.
    The other 10%...:
    - Fuel consumption wasn't that bad on the 2.5 CRD, below 11l/100km on average, open road and in town
    - the 2.5 is slightly underpowered compared to the 2.8
    - manual gearbox over auto with no doubt. Although the 6 speed manual does have issues (popping out of 1st gear). The revised synchro kit from Jeep is upwards of R5k. Just for the parts...
    - I believe most of the broken engines are 1. Operator issue (don't know how to drive a diesel as mentioned) and 2. cooling issues. I had some inquiries for pistons and stuff like that, that leads me to believe it was caused by heat seize.
    My 2.5 had a stuck open thermostat, and a blocked up radiator, so the needle was spot on in the middle, until I hit a long uphill and it would go skywards. Be very careful of this. Check viscous fan as well.
    - Overall a good 4x4, quite low yes, but pick the correct line and it will follow many other "better" 4x4s. In the end if it looks good and has been well taken care off, you should be good. If it looks abused or un-maintained, walk away.

PS: the 3.7s also tend to drop valve seats when they get hot. My thumb suck is that there are as many non runner 3.7s as there are 2.5s or 2.8s. Just that the diesels are more expensive to fix. 3.7s are easier to "patch".

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

I have a 2k6 2.8CRD Renegade Auto, about 220kkm.
    Most of the known issues sorted or have the parts to sort.
    i.e. Window regulator brackets (2 still to install), infinity front speakers, fuel filter body, upper control arms/ball joints, italian stainles steel glow plugs (to be installed).

it also has an Ironman suspension (rear shock changed to TJM, Ironman ones a noisy, on the front still so) runs on BF KO2's which are like new. also has escape gear seat covers.
    Oh yes and the best thing is the GDE Eco tune (not that you save fuel cause you always want to put foot, its not slow).

Bought it on 90kkm, serviced it myself every 10kkm. did cambelt on 130kkm, needs to be done again soon (10kkm, would do waterpump and all idlers and tensioners then also).

What i can tell you is that this is one of the most comfortable drives with the best visibility I've seen in many.

I've never had a problem where the car left me stranded, i have been reduced to limp mode about 4 times but managed to clear the error every time and drive on no worries.

oh yes and i replaced the gearbox filters and oil about 40kkm ago.... that's like a R5k just for oil and filters.

great Cars but expensive to keep well maintained.
    Go read up on the 4x4 systems in the KJ's, the renegade has a pretty good one.

if anyone is interested i am thinking of selling, gimme a shout and i will place some pics and give more info.